Let's call it FADAKA

It means Gem in my Language - Yoruba

MyJC
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Re: Suggest a NEW NAME

Post by MyJC » Sun Aug 21, 2005 3:10 am

davidbe wrote:
MyJC wrote: If someone has already mentioned this, forgive me...

"Tango" also means "I have" (like "I have my book" = "Tango me libro") in Spanish.

... for what it's worth.

wr
I think you mean Tengo not Tango ;)....."I have my book" = "Tengo mi libro"
Ok, maybe I do. But around here it's pronounced like "tango" - perhaps not outside Southern California.

Never mind.

wr
"A fool takes no pleasure in understanding, but only in expressing his opinion." Proverbs 18:2

freemambo

Post by freemambo » Sun Aug 21, 2005 4:47 am

Elpie wrote:
Jim wrote: I have to agree with candanfanclub.

OSM CMS

Clear. Simple. True.

Jim
OSM is already in use and could be subject to copyright/trademark issues.  There also seems to be a majority who wish to stay away from the rather limiting cms.
No osm domains available either, unfortunately.
I have already came forward with several suggestions. However, this one is getting more and more appealing as I keep thinking about it. Seeing how the Dev. Team and the community work together in harmony and keep plugging away, improving the system and helping each other... all this brings the picture of busy bees... so, how about bzbee CMS? I think it sounds terrific. Users of this system would be known as bz bees. The logo and theme can center around the bee and its wonderful/mysterious world. Last I checked bzbcms.com is available.

PS. This name breaks away from the Mambo name but keep a relationship to the fower :) Just like the bee is after the nectar in a flower, so are we after the best that our mambo had to offer.
Last edited by freemambo on Sun Aug 21, 2005 4:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

serveron
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by serveron » Sun Aug 21, 2005 5:46 am

all this brings the picture of busy bees... so, how about bzbee CMS? I think it sounds terrific. Users of this system would be known as bz bees. The logo and theme can center around the bee and its wonderful/mysterious world. Last I checked bzbcms.com is available.

PS. This name breaks away from the Mambo name but keep a relationship to the fower :) Just like the bee is after the nectar in a flower, so are we after the best that our mambo had to offer.
i have suggested bee earlier with same and other logic.. but there is already a beehive cms ;)

Bill
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by Bill » Sun Aug 21, 2005 6:57 am

Hi all,

First off, I want to say that I am all for deciding a name ASAP, even if it isn't that great.  Don't try to negotiate further with those people at the foundation for an old name or any other reason- you are holding all the cards now, and all they can do is either damage your credibility or make you look foolish to your userbase.

Since this site is called "opensourcematters", I thought, hey, I am not doing much with openthing.org, do you folks want it?  Nobody has come close to a name yet, except for OSM.  I figure, since open source is important, and nobody has a name, why not just "openthing"?  If not, you need to consider a name that embodies the words "open" "source" and "matters".  Nothing else is really going to work if this site is going to be the home domain for the kick ass cms without a name, and unless the dev team plans to move site names again...

So, will it be OSM, sourcematter, openmatter, openthing, smatter, opensm, or goatonastick?  Personally, I am not for goatonastick, but please pick something soon, or put up a poll and let us pick and get it over with.  I am sure there are many people out there who just want to get back to doing what they do best.

Oh, and thank you all on the dev team for having the courage to stand up for what you believe in.
Time is not a linear constant.

Circlefusion
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by Circlefusion » Sun Aug 21, 2005 7:07 am

The thorn of open source projects is disorganization. If we're going to be productive, we MUST stay organized in this discussion.

Half of the suggestions are flawed because of two reasons

1. They ignore the naming guidelines of the core developers.

and

2. They ignore the naming guidelines of the core developers.

Please go back to the first page and read the original posts made by the developing team. They do NOT want the name to be anything Mambo-like. That includes Jango, Jambo, MOS, Sambo, Rambo,...or probably other dance names like Salsa, tango or rhumba.

Also, people in this discussion are randomly brainstorming and throwing up names. That does not help the discussion at all. You need to bring your names down to 4-5, and then check the names for available domains, similarly named software, or trademarks. If you're going to help, please don't be lazy. Don't waste anyone's time with names that obviously are not applicable, like NintendoCMS or something like that.

Yen made an excellent point about the timeliness of things. For marketing purposes, the name has to be chosen as SOON AS POSSIBLE. Hopefully, within a couple days.

Another good point made is that the name should not rely on the acronym "CMS" to make it unique. It may graduate into a "framework" for advanced applications rather than just a CMS. That is probably why Mambo chose MamboServer.com rather than MamboCMS.com

Just my 27 cents worth.

Sorry if I come across as harsh. I'm just disturbed at open source projects getting stuck for reasons of disorganization. It's frustrating to watch.

rejuvinet
I've been banned!

Post by rejuvinet » Sun Aug 21, 2005 8:23 am

I agree  -  the thorn in the side of open source IS disorganization.

This is only MY opinion, but like I said before I think "Tango" works.  Juding from the dispute between Miro and the dev team (and I am SOLIDLY behind the devs in this one) I think it works.

At this point, Mambo and controversy are almost synonymous - any marketing rookie would know to build on that in order to develop *some* sort of recognition....

"A Tango-ed web we weave" is ideal - anyone familiar with this dispute, or that with Connolly, will appreciate the play on words.....

I'm almost ready to use it myself!  I've been trying to "promote" the "Lexis SiteServer", which is fully based on Mambo (and before anyone tries to jump on me, I give FULL credit to Mambo), and it's gone nowhere...  If this "rebranding" doesn't take advantage of the opportunities this whole mess gives them (along with the renaming of the CMS and everything it hands you!) then I will!

The dev team NEEDS to separate itself from the Miro mess - and they are going to do it with the same code Miro's trying to "incorporate"....  NOW is the time to market yourselves, and this Connolly-type of fisaco Miro is pulling is the perfect time to put yourselves where you should be.

If you don't, I will - and I'll do it FULLY supporting your split.  But I have to agree with the "mamber that is now some wierd little symbol" - a decision needs to be made, and it needs to be made in your favor QUICK!

There is a lot of support for the dev team here and on the "official" forum - but everyone is discounting the people that DON'T post here, or on the official forums.  There are people that went with Mambo on "blind trust" (and yes, I KNOW that opens me to flames, but I don't care - I'M not the one at issue here).  I have clients that have NEVER been to this forum or the official ones, but have seen the article on eWeek or on SlashDot and are coming back on me asking why I suggested this "great" CMS when there is so much infighting....

I support every single person on the dev team (including Teeman who saw fit to ban me based on one complaint - I believe it was more a "political" move - but that's another story) - I am fully behind every single person who made this CMS possible.  That "every single person" does NOT include Peter Lamont, Jim Begley (whoever THAT is) or the rest of Miro's new "Foundation"....

"Disorganization" in my eyes is synonymous with Miro - Robert's resignation shows that (and again, I apologize to Robert if he felt my general dismay with this whole debacle was a "personal attack")....  A "Tango-ed" web is definitely what could be weaved, if we as a community (and the dev team) allows it....

That's my vote - as long and conveluded as it is - and I am sticking to it....

Dave

(did I make any one laugh this time?)
Admin Note: User is no longer a member of our community.

rickberkeley
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by rickberkeley » Sun Aug 21, 2005 8:26 am

dmcole wrote: Also, while nobody has banned the letters "CMS" outright, we do need to think a bit into the future, when The System With No Name becomes more of a framework than specifically a CMS.
I totally agree with that. That also means that while searching for an appropriate name we will have to step away from the ways names were found in the past. There have been a lot of posts here pointing out what the new name should not be like and I agree with most of them.
  • No relation to the old name - Mambo is a Miro name, they came up with it before it became OpenSource...and what has this software to do with dancing
  • easy to remember and spell - it won't be easy to remember any artificial word or shortcut because your brain has nothing to associate with
  • future-proof - see quote above
The Core Devs now have the chance to re-invent the product they've been working on so hard by choosing a name for it that actually describes what the software does and how it feels to use it.

I'll try to give you an example of what I mean. I have been using Mambo for years now, so I know how to achieve the best results with it. I have also learned that there are similar systems around that bring better XHTML compliance or whatever. What made me stay with Mambo are those moments when somebody who is really not into HTML writes his first ever article on a Mambo system. Ever seen the smile on such a person's face? This smile makes Mambo unique from any other WCMS on the market. Most of the times I don't have to explain a lot. The new name should incorporate the reason for this smile.

If I had the choice I would take a common word that has not been associated with Content Management yet. So my suggestion would be:

Instinct - If you are using Mambo for the first time the best way to explore is to follow your instincts. Then talking about the future and a framework that can manage more than just content (the future has already begun) the framework could be called Brain(if Pinky allows us to do so  ;)).

The full name would be Brain & Instinct.
The proposed slogan could be: Most creativity is happening when brain and instinct come together. (Which by the way is an universal truth).
The URL: http://www.brainandinstinct.net (or whatever 1stLevel domain)

If Luc Besson would not claim the rights on it I had suggested The 5th Element - components, modules, templates and mambots make four and the core system would be the fifth. It would be so easy to create a new logo playing around with the number. A name that covers the architecture of the core system and anticipates the next major release's version number. Hmmm...and we could have invited Mila Jovovic to appear on the next community gathering  ;D

P.S.: If it's hard for you to follow my thoughts don't bother. 'Hope they can be an inspiration at least. ;)

P.P.S.: Talking about the instinct concept Limbo could be called Basic Instinct  ;D (just kidding)
Last edited by rickberkeley on Sun Aug 21, 2005 11:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Matthew Schultz
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by Matthew Schultz » Sun Aug 21, 2005 8:39 am

Well I just want to say again that I do have tangocms.com and .org registered for the dev's if they go with that name. Just so they don't throw that one out because they think someone else has grabbed it. (Working on the redirect but DNS is taking long to propagate)
Last edited by Matthew Schultz on Sun Aug 21, 2005 9:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Joomla & Mambo News, Downloads...
www.primakoala.com

rejuvinet
I've been banned!

Post by rejuvinet » Sun Aug 21, 2005 8:53 am

Matthew Schultz wrote: Well I just want to say again that I do have tangocms.com and .org registered for the dev's if they go with that name. Just so they don't through that one out because they think someone else has grabbed it. (Working on the redirect but DNS is taking long to propagate)
If the dev team doesn't take it, we should talk....

I MEAN IT - if the "tango" idea is flushed here, then I'll turn "Lexis" into "Tango" (with the originating suggestor's support, of course) - my clients deserve at least that much, with all the confusion this power-grab is causing.

Let's give it 48 hours and revisit it.  For those of you keeping score, that's 5AM (GMT -5:00) on Tuesday, August 23rd.

Matt, as much as I hope the core devs take this idea, I also hope we can talk on Tuesday....  "Tango" just seems so versatile - I am almost (ALMOST!) hoping the dev team passes on the idea....

We'll see... maybe I can Tango after all....  LOL
Admin Note: User is no longer a member of our community.

Matthew Schultz
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by Matthew Schultz » Sun Aug 21, 2005 9:09 am

dmcole wrote: Also, while nobody has banned the letters "CMS" outright, we do need to think a bit into the future, when The System With No Name becomes more of a framework than specifically a CMS.
I agree completely, when people stare at me baffled after I tell them my sites name, I explain to them that I wanted to be able to "brand" something without being stuck with a one service domain.

However in the case of (whatever name we give to this) codebase, I don't think its going to morph into software that will make my toast as well. Perhaps we can redefine what a CMS is thought to be?
Last edited by Matthew Schultz on Sun Aug 21, 2005 9:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
www.primakoala.com

Matthew Schultz
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by Matthew Schultz » Sun Aug 21, 2005 9:14 am

Sidenote:
We have to think of a new name for Mambot's as well. Tangbot's (as an example) has quite an odd ring to it.

Could Mambot's be classified as macros?
Last edited by Matthew Schultz on Sun Aug 21, 2005 9:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
www.primakoala.com

Mattius
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by Mattius » Sun Aug 21, 2005 9:14 am

Got a couple more to throw into the mix :)

Radiance
Synergy

Havent checked tld's

alphanostrum
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by alphanostrum » Sun Aug 21, 2005 9:14 am

fairnox OS
all domains are still free 
there is no reference to the existence of this name in entire web (google)
i do favor a free word creation, thus give it no problems, like fairnox os

timide
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by timide » Sun Aug 21, 2005 9:53 am

Spleen

or

Joolie

mediawizard
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by mediawizard » Sun Aug 21, 2005 9:57 am

The reason I had suggested Ceetee is two fold.

1. Getting things done through $ambo has always been as easy as blowing a whistle.
2. It is two syllables - hence easy to remember
3. Ceetee.org IS available

Another suggestion is allCMS
It signifies everything,  some TLDs are available

Of the others I have seen in this topic I quite like :

1. Freed
2. Enso
3. Wave

But i agree with all the others that we should get this name resolved as fast as possible.
Now the market is hot and OSM in the news, if we identify the product the recall will be better.
Last edited by mediawizard on Sun Aug 21, 2005 10:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mediawiz.Biz - Pro Web Solutions & Promotion

mediawizard
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by mediawizard » Sun Aug 21, 2005 9:58 am

And like the man said, maybe we should leave this to the core.dev

If we trust them enough to follow them with the code, whats in a name?
Mediawiz.Biz - Pro Web Solutions & Promotion

QuickSync
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by QuickSync » Sun Aug 21, 2005 10:09 am

I go for "Community CMS"!

august
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by august » Sun Aug 21, 2005 10:16 am

I like the GNU style, so what about ANMOS - ANMOS is Not Mambo Open Source, or something like that? This is just a suggestion, there are probably better ways of putting together some letters, but I like that concept!
August Lilleaas
http://august.lilleaas.net.
<3

sinanata
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by sinanata » Sun Aug 21, 2005 10:19 am

ok so how's KAMU CMS ? Kamu means the public in Turkish.

timide
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by timide » Sun Aug 21, 2005 10:20 am

Melody

Teepee

alphanostrum
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by alphanostrum » Sun Aug 21, 2005 10:24 am

:D

sc00zy
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Post by sc00zy » Sun Aug 21, 2005 10:25 am

Some nice suggestions and designs... but are we getting anywhere ???
Arjan Menger
https://welldotcom.nl - Puntgaaf Internetbureau

ms
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by ms » Sun Aug 21, 2005 10:31 am

Flower
Freedom CMS ;-)
moveCMS
TangoCMS
CommUNITYcms
Dance
Mathias
Frankfurt am Main, Germany
Open Source Matters, because it is about helping others!
http://www.joomlaland.de

daestrom
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by daestrom » Sun Aug 21, 2005 11:04 am

It's all Greek to me. Good words like Alpha and Omega have gone

GammaCMS all free
GammaOS all free
GammaServer except .com

DeltaCMS all free
DeltaOS .com .net gone
DeltaServer .com .net gone

SigmaCMS all free
SigmaOS all free
SigmaServer .net .com gone but not used

KreatoR
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by KreatoR » Sun Aug 21, 2005 11:10 am

what about Revolt? ;)

pe7er
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by pe7er » Sun Aug 21, 2005 11:11 am

Last BoyScout wrote:
agfitzp wrote: OSM CMS -> Osmosis
Or what about OSMOS? Pity that de .Com is already taken; but is that realy a bridge too far? :-\
I really like osMOS...
or OSMos: Open Source Matters open source...
Kind Regards,
Peter Martin, Global Moderator
https://db8.nl - Joomla specialist, Nijmegen, Nederland
The best website: https://the-best-website.com

daestrom
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by daestrom » Sun Aug 21, 2005 11:22 am

KreatoR wrote: what about Revolt? ;)
Hi KreatoR,

I did recently suggest Rebel

RebelCMS all free
RebelOS .com gone but not used
RebelServer all free
RebelFramework all free

BlackStar
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by BlackStar » Sun Aug 21, 2005 11:35 am

Ok let me hit some chords here:

1) CMS4ALL
2) MUlti Purpose HIerarchical OS CMS (MUPHI-OS CMS, or MUPHIOS CMS)
3) ContentMe OS CMS
4) CMSIT (cmsit.com is available)

Hope you will like them, from a search the domains seem available.

P.S. I strongly don't support the idea of having anything related to rebels in the name, this does not give a serious character in the project (we are not in star wars after all !).

Please do not flame me...
Last edited by BlackStar on Tue Aug 23, 2005 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
George Simos (aka BlackStar)
Core Member of The Hellenic Translation Team
http://www.bet4all.gr
http://www.pasifapli.gr

daestrom
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by daestrom » Sun Aug 21, 2005 11:46 am

BlackStar wrote: Ok let me hit some chords here:

1) CMS4ALL
2) MUlti Purpose HIerarchical OS CMS (MUPHI-OS CMS, or MUPHIOS CMS)
3) ContentMe OS CMS
4) CMSIT (cmsit.com is available)

Hope you will like them, from a search the domains seem available.

P.S. I strongly don't support the idea of having anything related to rebels in the name, this does not give a serious character in the project (we are not in star wars after all !).

Please do not flame me...
You're right BlackStar we need a fresh professional name.
I guess i'm annoyed with the smoke and mirrors from Miro.

Return to “Reaction to New Project Name”