Using the 'I don't like the name' feeling towards a possible solution. IDEAS!?

twerp
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Using the 'I don't like the name' feeling towards a possible solution. IDEAS!?

Post by twerp » Fri Sep 02, 2005 7:26 pm

UPDATE: totally changed my mind and love it now... see this post if you wish and then see the core member dev post which has a link to it in this post I wrote:
http://forum.opensourcematters.org/inde ... 440.0.html

Thinking that it may not be a one way street and there may be a way towards a new - new name.

1) Guessing maybe 50-100 domains were pre-registered before the public name announcement. These dedicated people have spent money on their Joomla domains.

2) There's a couple of shows coming up. And a vote for the best Linux solution is it? These dates may have rushed things? Could we use Joomla for now and do a change later? [ala FireFox's name changes - for other reasons of course

3) Would anyone agree that there's almost no-one who loves the name and if we COULD go back in time almost everyone would ask for a new-new name?

4) Every Joomla name in the new 1.0 code could be replaced with a new-new name in about 60 seconds. Yes?

5) We want to have EVERYONE come to follow this project. right?

A few more things that are just as obvious could be put here. Time Time Race! Time!

So: what if the now very well motivated community send in their new name ideas to a dev team email address, and work super hard on finding something brilliant? Would this help for a re-think and the getting of, a new-new name?

Stay with Joomla for the time being then change when something amazingly right is found.   [like Firefox has had name changes as someone pointed out]
The changes, besides the new code are a few graphics, a trademark application or 3 and a bunch of inexpensive domains already bought right??? OK a lot more  .... [cringe -sorry about all this]

It just feels REALLY serious. I for one can't just say, oh it's great everything will be perfect.

AGAIN... would anyone agree that given the choice almost everyone whould drop the name???

Is anyone rich enough to buy all the pre-register people new domains???? :) I'm actually serious. There's some very wealthy generous types out there....

I'm staying light about this as the name could turn out to be VERY cool.

Any ideas for a save anyone????

I mean::  it's the dev team; and that PR company; and US right?

What do we all want?????

best wishes to ALL...
Last edited by twerp on Sun Sep 04, 2005 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

marlar
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Re: Using the 'I don't like the name' feeling towards a possible solution. IDEAS

Post by marlar » Fri Sep 02, 2005 10:50 pm

I would prefer a name change too.
"The Mambot Creator" - MultiThumb, Mosif, Htmlfix, MosHide...
http://kreacom.dk/mambot

guider
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Re: Using the 'I don't like the name' feeling towards a possible solution. IDEAS!?

Post by guider » Fri Sep 02, 2005 10:54 pm

Get real - it isn't going to happen. Changing names AGAIN makes this project look real weak. It was chosen, you don't have to like it, but get used to it because this is what it shall remain.

twerp
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Re: Using the 'I don't like the name' feeling towards a possible solution. IDEAS!?

Post by twerp » Fri Sep 02, 2005 10:57 pm

You're surely right Guider.... In my little life however there's been scores of times people would say, you'll never this or you'll never get them to agree to that etc.  -sigh-

It's the loss of vibe that is obvious that seem the issue.

Your point is well taken, however the name itself appears weak in others opinions..

So if the community wanted a new name would it not be a strength to do the extra work to make it so? In many ways the ultimate opensource move, changing the name at the communities request. Would anyone agree that to those onlookers we all appear weaker ...'this week' ??

Dunno...

seem like a lot of frustration and more out there.

scary,

thanks
Last edited by twerp on Sat Sep 03, 2005 12:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

dorjano
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by dorjano » Fri Sep 02, 2005 11:03 pm

twerp wrote: ...

So if the community wanted a new name would it not be a strength to do the extra work to make it so? Would anyone agree that to an onlooker  we all appear weaker ...'this week' ??
As I already said; Good Name Matters! So it would be wise to chose it carefully
Moderator of Slovenian Forum

guider
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by guider » Fri Sep 02, 2005 11:05 pm

If you are really into marketing dorjano, you know when to move on and face the wind.

twerp
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by twerp » Fri Sep 02, 2005 11:10 pm

Everything I've read of your Guider has a very sensible, 'get on with it' vibe to it. Thanks, genuinely.

guider
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by guider » Fri Sep 02, 2005 11:20 pm

You're most welcome.

Elpie
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Re: Using the 'I don't like the name' feeling towards a possible solution. IDEAS

Post by Elpie » Fri Sep 02, 2005 11:32 pm

twerp wrote: Thinking that it may not be a one way street and there may be a way towards a new - new name.
Time to move on and start building the brand.  Joomla! it is, Joomla! it will stay.  We need to all pull together now and head forward under our new identity.
For Mambo assistance: http://forum.mambo-foundation.org
Open Source Research & Best Practice: http://osprojects.info

twerp
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by twerp » Fri Sep 02, 2005 11:40 pm

Like anything that day one feeling is the toughest. Quiting smoking, etc etc... :)
Hey, the name being an issue with some could push all to make the actual ..erm... CMS...better...

I'm esxpecting to be laughing at myself any day now!!!

J-J-J-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-M......La!

dADA!

strawberries
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by strawberries » Fri Sep 02, 2005 11:46 pm

Why did there have to be this mad rash dash to come up with a new name?

Was the community consulted?  Were suggestioins asked for?

What communication channels existed? 

NB - this sounds like familiar territory.  :(

PS - it won't matter to me, because the name won't be visible on my website.  But I'm thinking of the new people out there who possibly now won't ever see or have any inclination to check out this CMS.

twerp
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by twerp » Fri Sep 02, 2005 11:55 pm

exactly my ONLY concern. Except for initially my sparticus-geek bones  [huh?] that love the fabulous feeling of FINDING the magic. In this case the MAGIC name to wave.
Last edited by twerp on Fri Sep 02, 2005 11:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

twerp
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by twerp » Sat Sep 03, 2005 12:03 am

Perhaps ... I've thought, it may have been the 'neon-lights' with the TOP PR company that, 'assisted' in deciding on the name with...  I assume, lots of outward talking/typing ... that MAY have halted that ... pacing around, voices inside, free-associating, sleep deprived, babbling anything in ones mind, thing ....  that's gotten me and a billion others a few personal tingles with new words and phrases over the years.

Why does everyone not like the name? Is it that hard to change it as it's no secret it's not liked? What would we do?
Send in a BLINDINGLY good name to the DEV Team... and tell no-one. as the .com .net. .org and the trademark as well I guess needs to be available. There can be identical marks at some countries trademark offices. Actually using the name establishes the TM anyways. Not sure what the DEV team would need after being JAW Dropped with a new fresh not-told-to-anyone  name.

I mean.. what's better by a Universe than Joomla..

Joomla's cool. Right?  Dunno.
Though I do know I wish everyone to experience the dedication and wondrousness of the DEVteams work.
Last edited by twerp on Sat Sep 03, 2005 12:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

dorjano
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by dorjano » Sat Sep 03, 2005 12:14 am

guider wrote: If you are really into marketing dorjano, you know when to move on and face the wind.
what do you want me to do ??? To propose a new name? To make a marketing analysis, or just to use my humble experience. The last one told me STAR CMS ;D ;D . *ambo is De facto star of the show, two years in a row if I remember. So why not use this as a major entry point?!

But anyway it's probably too late for a change :'(
Moderator of Slovenian Forum

twerp
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by twerp » Sat Sep 03, 2005 12:19 am

Cool, and [in my opinion] with a twist, break or scratch you could be darn near I s'pects. [in my opinion there's some very talent namers out there] Distinctivness comes to mind, which is the grail-like descriptor[?] / requirement for UNREAL Trade Names I think.

Sending a name to one of the DEVteam leaders without telling anyone ANYWHERE the name. [hard to do that perhaps] And first checking that the .com .net .org and anything I've missed is available. Perhaps a TM check as well, though if the .com is available I'd have though it pretty safe.

Having done this myself I have the GREATEST respect for the efforts required and MADE by the DEVteam as well as those just getting on with it in Joomla fashion!: Guess some of us hear a different uh, o.s. [maybe I WILL sleep soon--ish]

Seriously,

Perhaps we CAN make an effort though ..um, ah..  in any event, it's all about the name.

[ Brilliant applicable cross-border friendly name goes here]

AND, it has to be sent to the DEV's without anyone knowing....

It's gotta be pretty magic obviously cause as they say, it's all been done, under the sun.

Best wishes to ALL.
Last edited by twerp on Sat Sep 03, 2005 12:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

deleted user

Post by deleted user » Sat Sep 03, 2005 12:31 am

I don't find the name very exciting, either, but we do need to be realistic here:  the name has now been published on news sites and it's anyone's guess how many Joomla! branded domains have been registered in the last 36 hours - but it will be a lot!

Now is the time to get behind the product, which has already been an award winner, and make sure that it's features, compliance, security, ease of use, and integration are continually making it the foremost CMS and the foremost open source software.

twerp
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by twerp » Sat Sep 03, 2005 12:35 am

Very right Lester...

the other side of the moon being::

how cool would it look on news sites if the Community was listened to, and the infrastructure communicative and flexible enough to drop in a new name. Not that big a deal ... is it???

That would really add proof to the opensourcematters vibe stating the difference between the OLD version admin policies and the NEW 'policies'  and  .... well it would be >> NEW-NEW.

Hope that's not too ...creative.
Thanks.
Last edited by twerp on Sat Sep 03, 2005 12:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Elpie
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by Elpie » Sat Sep 03, 2005 12:37 am

twerp wrote: Sending a name to one of the DEVteam leader without telling anyone ANYWHERE the name. And first checking that the .com .net .org and anything I've missed is available. Perhaps a TM check as well, though if the .com is available I'd have though it pretty safe.
Not a good idea in my humble opinion - we need the dev team to be able to focus on getting the first new release of Joomla! out.  As far as they are concerned, they have the name, and I don't think they need other distractions right now.  The CMS is more important than what it is called.
For Mambo assistance: http://forum.mambo-foundation.org
Open Source Research & Best Practice: http://osprojects.info

twerp
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by twerp » Sat Sep 03, 2005 12:43 am

GOOD POINT so.. How about an email repository for the names that could be checked EXCLUSIVELY be the DEVteam when they felt like they could time-wise.

READY SET Open your Dictionaries/Thesaurus'  Go....

I'm thinking a name change considered only, IF something absolutely astronomically perfect was sent in to the DEVteam [to them ONLY and not posted - lotta faith in that one] .... could be next year... Ideally the 'worried about confusion' perceived issue would not rule this out. As long as the community is happy NOTHING can stop the script from  being the best. I feel.

How is it that I have not heard anyone say, GREAT NAME yet.

enough from me.
Thanks all. I feel good to be here and really the name don't matter at all to us right. It's those new folks. So a name change doesn't really matter either way as it's the best.

So there'd only be a few issue to change the name. [sorry if that's naive - then again: What if we were forced to change names like FireFox - I don't think it's a big deal if it's perfect]

So, where's the name? And, if there was a genius name sent in to the DEVs PRIVATELY we wouldn't hear about it until the SURPRISE announcement that a new name was chosen for version 5 or something.

One could even believe it [new-new name thought of] so much and register the com/net/org and let the DEVteam know they'd been taken, and were waiting as a gift for... eek... the world!

Would that be a cool faith thing or what.

Night Night!
zzzzzzzzzzzz:)

P.S. Basically even with the hope for a name change for version 5 or something would,  I think, stop all the chatter here. Yet, It's ALL a moot point isn't it..? There IS no name to swoon over... Is there?

Don't tell us please, Super-Brill,  tell the DEVteam.... hehehe

see yaz!

Maybe we can find out a non-invasive email to pile up frust-letting name ideas to... Anyone friendly with a DEVteam person to ask? They may likely be pretty tired and maybe disappointed though I shouldn't speculate. Shoulda maybe made name ideas private submissions and not on the forums. Course, it all moves way too fast these days doesn't it [as I've said elsewhere].
The DEVteam is absolutely astonishing. We certainly don't want to break anyone's spirit I'm sure. Boy, does that conjure up [    ] for me....
Last edited by twerp on Sat Sep 03, 2005 1:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

aljoomla
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by aljoomla » Sat Sep 03, 2005 1:36 am

twerp wrote: How is it that I have not heard anyone say, GREAT NAME yet.
NOT TRUE. Many have said just that. It is just the ones who try to put people down (with stupid, silly, etc...) keep repeating those insults.
No snowflake in an avalanche ever feels responsible. Voltaire.

twerp
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by twerp » Sat Sep 03, 2005 1:41 am

oh sorry, haven't seen any rave ups yet. Thanks. Actually I'm getting happy with the name I've spent swo much time with it. Silly me.

Best wishes to ALL

chay
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by chay » Mon Sep 05, 2005 7:17 am

I LOVE the name Joomla! I think it's great!!  ;D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

strawberries
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by strawberries » Mon Sep 05, 2005 12:43 pm

aljoomla wrote:
twerp wrote: How is it that I have not heard anyone say, GREAT NAME yet.
NOT TRUE. Many have said just that. It is just the ones who try to put people down (with stupid, silly, etc...) keep repeating those insults.
in the poll that I have seen in one of these threads, the majority of people voting didn't like the name.

coscooper
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by coscooper » Mon Sep 05, 2005 12:58 pm

Okay... I'll go out on a limb...

Cool name! Unusual name! Never heard before name, awesome name, has a lot of potential, lots of play-on-word potential, so different people are scratching their head and talking about it.... etc, etc, etc.

Who cares, as long as it WORKS, is SOLID and SUPPORTED.

A software development manager I once knew once said to a group in a meeting, so we're launching XYZ product to do this thing and we're going to name it "Pile-O-Junk" (not the real name) everyone scratched their heads and said, "What the..." After he got everyones attention, he said, look, is it better to LOOK cool? Or is it better to BE cool?

Me... I'm going with BEING!
What is the difference between genius and stupidity? Genius has limits.
- Albert Einstein.

chadness
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by chadness » Thu Sep 08, 2005 3:30 pm

And how many other CMS names sound good to shout loudly as you're about to attack a group of super villians?

kaizen
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by kaizen » Thu Sep 08, 2005 3:45 pm

guider wrote: If you are really into marketing dorjano, you know when to move on and face the wind.
Time for my favorite quote, applicable not only in this situation but in client situations as well..

"We cannot ever change the wind, but we CAN ALWAYS adjust our sails."

Have that one mounted on my desk.
Robert Anthony Pitera
West of East, Inc. - http://www.westofeast.com - Taking technology in new directions™

marlar
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Post by marlar » Thu Sep 08, 2005 3:48 pm

Extremely clever quote. Will remember that.
"The Mambot Creator" - MultiThumb, Mosif, Htmlfix, MosHide...
http://kreacom.dk/mambot

stingrey
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Post by stingrey » Thu Sep 08, 2005 3:52 pm

chadness wrote: And how many other CMS names sound good to shout loudly as you're about to attack a group of super villians?
LOL, sorry this made me burst out loud in laughter  :D ;D :D ;D
Rey Gigataras
http://www.wizmediateam.com <-- great team of talented Web Designers and Programmers!
http://about.me/reygigataras <-- About Me :)
Partner, Business Development & Project Manager, Event Manager, Sports Coach :D

ratlaw
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by ratlaw » Tue Sep 13, 2005 1:05 pm

My first impressions of the name Joomla,

Hmm, could be stronger… I call it J for now.

That’s all there was too it, then I got right back to work. The only thing that makes a cool name or brand is public perception. I voted for ‘don’t know’ in the opinion poll, in hindsight I should have voted ‘Yes’. The bottom line is no matter how crap something is if you see and hear it enough it will become cool!

As pointed out, super villains will s**t their pants, so be cool and jack up some Joomla Juice to power your sites. Or if you prefer take a hit of the whole J!
Last edited by ratlaw on Tue Sep 13, 2005 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ric
My site search.yahoo.com
Search Monkey gallery.search.yahoo.com

green-mamba
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by green-mamba » Sat Sep 17, 2005 2:43 pm

I like the name!

It definitely does not sound worse than Xoops. Or Drupal....I mean, Drupal has alwasy sounded like some stomach medicine to me.

I can tell you the one BIG advantage with Joomla as a name. If you do a search on Joomla there is no doubt that you will get the CMS and not Joomla Number 5 or the Joomla Kings.

Joomla Juice rules!

Christine

Return to “Reaction to New Project Name”