.XML feed parsing/reading?

For Joomla! 1.0 Coding related discussions.
FotoTrust
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

.XML feed parsing/reading?

Post by FotoTrust » Thu Sep 29, 2005 2:53 pm

I would like to add content to my Joomla! site by using an .xml feed that is offered by a company that I am an affiliate of. For example, the company offers products, I add the list of products to my site, if someone buys from my site, I get a commission. Currently, when the company offers an upgraded list of products, I manually add the changes to my site.

The company has an .xml feed available so that affiliates can have the updates done automatically. I thought that I might be able to use the built in newsreader, but the tech support from the company has quickly informed me that an rss feed reader won't do the job. Though it seems to me that an rss feed reader esentially parses .xml?

Has anyone had any experience or advice with having Joomla! display the results of an .xml feed that is not rss?

Thank you  :)

stingrey
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Re: .XML feed parsing/reading?

Post by stingrey » Thu Sep 29, 2005 5:41 pm

The newsreader utilises DOMIT RSS which is built to read very specific xml data - xml designated to conform to a syndication standard (e.g. RSS 0.91, RSS 1.0 and RSS 2.0). As such it is very strict in its application

However The Core utilises the DOMIT Parser to read general xml data from files:
http://www.engageinteractive.com/mambo/ ... emid=10137

Suggest you look at the code which allows us to parse xml files that controls the paramters for Components/Modules/Mambots
E.g. look in /modules/ folder at the xml files there.

In fact parsing xml files is crucial to beaing able to install components/modules/mambots/templates into Joomla!
Rey Gigataras
http://www.wizmediateam.com <-- great team of talented Web Designers and Programmers!
http://about.me/reygigataras <-- About Me :)
Partner, Business Development & Project Manager, Event Manager, Sports Coach :D

FotoTrust
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by FotoTrust » Thu Sep 29, 2005 9:44 pm

Thank you Rey. I'll follow that link and look closely at the files in the modules folder. I knew that .xml parsing was already a part of Joomla! , so I figured much of what I need is likely already there. Your suggestion should give me more information that will hopefully allow me to put something together.

Let me say too that back a year ago when I first discovered "M" you were always one to help me out with my questions "over there". I'm sure I speak for thousands of Joomla! users when I say that your work on Joomla! and your terrific help is very much appreciated.
Last edited by FotoTrust on Thu Sep 29, 2005 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Manuel70
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by Manuel70 » Sat Nov 12, 2005 2:03 am

mmm... I don't get it.  :-[

Does anyone have a newbie guide to publish XML feeds on the frontend? (without the wrapper)

Thank you,
Last edited by Manuel70 on Sat Nov 12, 2005 2:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

gharding
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by gharding » Mon Nov 14, 2005 11:41 pm

Basically, you're going to have to write a module or something using one of the multiple XML parsers available for PHP.

PS
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by PS » Mon Mar 10, 2008 4:02 pm

Hello,

did anybody found an easy way to integrate XML feed into Joomla ?

I would need to implement a form from a company I'm affialiate to.

thanks for any suggestion

YourFiveADay
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by YourFiveADay » Mon Apr 28, 2008 8:56 am

Hi there

This is also something I'm looking for. I've got an XML product feed and want to integrate it into my site.

What's the simplest way of doing this?

tsr
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by tsr » Tue May 20, 2008 6:41 am

HI experts and heroes

pls shed some views on this
any other bridge or cms can do this?

thanks

imrankhanawan
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by imrankhanawan » Mon Oct 19, 2009 5:33 pm

Has anyone found a solution to parse an XML data feed for affiliate networks?

This is weird there are so many php joomla experts but no one is willing to help.

That website URL mentioned above is hosted by sedo parking and its no help to us.

Please shed some bright light onto this topic.

Thank you
Free VoIP SIP Calls >> http://www.voipbazar.com
Top 10 Web Hosting Comparison >> http://www.top-10-unlimited-web-hosting.com

nibra
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by nibra » Mon Oct 19, 2009 6:02 pm

There is no answer to that requirement.
To convert any XML feed to reasonable content, its individual structure has to be converted to some HTML code. Without knowing the actual structure it is impossible to tell more.

Regards,
Niels

eycel
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by eycel » Fri Apr 30, 2010 10:20 am

Iv been looking into this for a few days. I figured this would be the easy part of making my affiliate store but so far it has been time consuming more then anything. Its funny that there's no tutorials on this subject that give reasonable explanations on this. You shouldnt have to learn the entire xml/xlst/xls language to be able to convert a file into a readable format but so far thats about all Iv found. :eek: Can any one that has experience in xml give me a starting point on where to start , heres my datafeed xml file xml, I want to be able to convert this into a readable rss feed. Im currently using altova altova xml conversion tool but I'm not sure what I'm looking to do in this program. Iv read I have to parse the xml with xlst to be able to make it into an rss feed.

duckjunkie
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by duckjunkie » Tue Jan 25, 2011 2:23 am

I know this thread is old but I am hoping this extension helps some of you! :)
com_datafeeds
http://joomlatp.com/joomla-1.5-componen ... oomla.html
(**I am not affiliated with joomlatp.com nor have I tried this extension. I would love to hear if it works for others! :pop )
New to Joomla! but trying really hard to figure things out on my own! If I am asking here, I am likely frustrated, embarrassed or otherwise not happy. Please be easy on me and I will try to get back to it on my own without being a pest. ;)

x126
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by x126 » Fri Mar 25, 2011 5:48 pm

Ok so I have learned over the past 3 YEARS!!! thats there is no way to parse an XML file without knowing the structure.

I do know the structure of the xml file I want to parse - so now what?

I looked at http://www.affiliatefeeds.nl - its all in Dutch so first I need to translate that nevermind try to figure out how to parse an xml file.

can someone maybe provide us with a basic xml file and whatever it takes to parse it?

Return to “Joomla! 1.0 Coding”