japanese characters displaying as ??? in joomla despite UTF8

waldy45
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

japanese characters displaying as ??? in joomla despite UTF8

Post by waldy45 » Sat Aug 14, 2010 2:01 pm

Hi,

I have an English Language site that I would like to add a Japanese page to as an article. However the japanese characters show up on the article & the website as '?????'

I have since changed the collation on the mysql database as UTF8_general_ci. I have re-entered the article contents in the article in phpmyadmin & confirm after saving that the japanese characters are indeed successfully displaying.

However, In the Joomla front & back ends the characters shoiw as '?' s

I have added the Japanese language pack for Joomla & set the article for this language as good measure.

What else do I need to do to show these Japanese characters in Joomla please?

best regards

Waldy

Bjorg
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Re: japanese characters displaying as ??? in joomla despite

Post by Bjorg » Sun Aug 15, 2010 7:22 am

waldy45 wrote:Hi,

I have an English Language site that I would like to add a Japanese page to as an article. However the japanese characters show up on the article & the website as '?????'

I have since changed the collation on the mysql database as UTF8_general_ci. I have re-entered the article contents in the article in phpmyadmin & confirm after saving that the japanese characters are indeed successfully displaying.

However, In the Joomla front & back ends the characters shoiw as '?' s

I have added the Japanese language pack for Joomla & set the article for this language as good measure.

What else do I need to do to show these Japanese characters in Joomla please?

best regards

Waldy
Is the content, saved to the site, or simply displayed?

Is a translation extension used?

Try creating another user, then set the language for that user to Japanese, open the said article, then save.
(as it is possible, another extension is in conflict).

UTF8 would be standard, for the entire mysql (EG: all tables) - (normally) when running multilingual web sites
(However, this may vary depending on requirements from third party extensions).

Hope this helps!

Etherus
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Re: japanese characters displaying as ??? in joomla despite

Post by Etherus » Tue Nov 27, 2012 5:41 am

It is all quite simple once you understand what is required.

1. you need to download and install a Japanese language pack first up. In later version it is already installed just needs to be published.
2. You need to create 2 versions of your site nominating each language in each case. That goes for all menus, modules and articles.
3. for your home page, for the default Home page menu item you will call up ALL languages. In mine I have three Top menus, Top (ALL), Top English and Top Japanese. each having the nominated language. The default page is the Home item in the Top (ALL). In this case, you unpublish the Top (ALL) module so it does not appear. At the same time, you need to nominate Home item in the Top JP menu as your JP default and the same goes for the Top EN Home item. A flag should appear in the menu manager.

You will need to have copy the language switcher to both languages and unpublish the main one that is in ALL. At that point depending on what language you want the article to appear, it should.

All in all, it does require you to duplicate the site (or at least the articles and menu paths you want in both languages)

I hope that helps.
Last edited by ooffick on Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Mod Note: Removed manual Signature. Please read the Forum rules for details.
http://www.penangtickets.com
Joomla novice looking to learn.

Return to “Japanese Forum”