User defined AccessKeys: a CHALLENGE!!!

vavroom

User defined AccessKeys: a CHALLENGE!!!

Post by vavroom » Sat Jan 07, 2006 5:40 am

http://cms.elfden.co.uk/2005/12/16/acce ... -approach/

Anyone can make this into a module?

Brilliant solution for sites with a few static links, but...  For a bigger dynamically generated site with links that may change, might be a bit of a headache...

bfair
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Re: User defined AccessKeys: a CHALLENGE!!!

Post by bfair » Sat Jan 07, 2006 6:59 am

You mean make a module that allows a user to specify their own access keys? That may be very handy! Just remember, whoever develops that, that some access keys are browser based... ctrl+d, ctrl+p, yada yada yada!
Most people just don't know what's wrong with their websites. They don't even know they don't know! I'm glad to educate those people.

vavroom

Post by vavroom » Sat Jan 07, 2006 8:32 am

Did you read the article?  That's covered.

audienceone
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by audienceone » Mon Jan 09, 2006 11:35 am

I believe there is a component that can assign accesskeys from the backend (of course) to any mambo menu item available. One problem I had after installing it was it messed up the menu list. I've gotten around the problem already but I have not tried it using Joomla. I'll look for it on my "archives"
"Speak your truth quietly and clearly; and listen to others; even the dull and ignorant, for they too have their story
If you compare yourself with others you may become vain or bitter, for always there will be greater and lesser person than yourself."

absalom
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by absalom » Mon Jan 09, 2006 11:43 am

The Accesskey hack (which was released way after my Orange: Accesskeys project) suffers from a few major bugs, the least of which is that it's an installer and has the capacity to break all existing content menus.

The other bug was that it used an 11 wide varchar field inside the _menu table, instead of a varchar of 1. Accesskeys, by nature, should be a key, not a sequence.
Design with integrity : Web accessible solutions
http://www.absalom.biz
http://twitter.com/absalomedia

vavroom

Post by vavroom » Mon Jan 09, 2006 10:29 pm

The Extended Menu module also allows to assign AK, and does it quite well, actually.

But this is not about the site designer assigning access keys and determining which key will do what.

It's about the VISITOR being able to determine their own access keys for a site using this.  Extreme bonus, the user can determine which links he wants AK'ed...

audienceone
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by audienceone » Tue Jan 10, 2006 5:44 am

absalom wrote: The Accesskey hack (which was released way after my Orange: Accesskeys project) suffers from a few major bugs, the least of which is that it's an installer and has the capacity to break all existing content menus.

The other bug was that it used an 11 wide varchar field inside the _menu table, instead of a varchar of 1. Accesskeys, by nature, should be a key, not a sequence.
Excuse me if I'm getting OT. Is this the com_accessibility accesskey hack you're talking about? the barrierfree component?

I'll be testing out this Extended Menu module. :D Thanks for mentioning the module.
"Speak your truth quietly and clearly; and listen to others; even the dull and ignorant, for they too have their story
If you compare yourself with others you may become vain or bitter, for always there will be greater and lesser person than yourself."

rg
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by rg » Tue Jan 10, 2006 2:36 pm

vavroom wrote: It's about the VISITOR being able to determine their own access keys for a site using this.  Extreme bonus, the user can determine which links he wants AK'ed...
This would be a nice feature. But do you think user will bother to do so? On sites I visit very often I'd rather bookmark a specific page than defining access keys for it.
RG
Torlaune.de - Fußball Videos Blog
SEO-Expert-Blog.com - SEO, Development, Internet Marketing

vavroom

Post by vavroom » Tue Jan 10, 2006 9:43 pm

rg wrote: This would be a nice feature. But do you think user will bother to do so? On sites I visit very often I'd rather bookmark a specific page than defining access keys for it.
Now, that's a good point.  I imagine that a user being able to define their own access keys would be more interesting if they could do so on many of the sites they visit regularly, then they have a uniform way to navigate the site, rather than having a lengthy list of bookmarks.  But obviously, the benefits of this won't surface 'till more and more sites adopt the ability to define the AK's... :)  Bit of a viscious circles.  It's not needed because not enough people use it. Not enough people use it because it's not on many sites.  It's not on many sites because it's not deemed "needed"... :)

sa247
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by sa247 » Sat May 12, 2007 8:26 pm

websites for mobile devices rely heavily on accesskeys for easier navigation

can anyone point me in the right direction for a accesskey solution that simply puts a number before the link ie:

1. Home
2. About Us

i guess since dot mobi sites are a lot simpler it would be nice to simply assign the number via the order they are positioned in in the menu???

am looking at doing a custom solution for this at the moment....

sa247
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by sa247 » Wed May 16, 2007 8:43 pm

i managed to do this using simple php - the accesskey is assigned a number via the order it is placed in the menu

it works using the jumi plugin and basic php

hit me up if you need more info  :pop

Return to “Design and Accessibility - Archived”