Making My forum look like joomla.org (SMF Forum beneath Joomla header)

Discuss the integration of SMF here.
simpleme
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Making My forum look like joomla.org (SMF Forum beneath Joomla header)

Post by simpleme » Mon Dec 11, 2006 2:13 pm

Hi,

I recently installed Orstio's bridge version 1.1.6 with the latest joomla and smf.
I also made the SMF theme match my Joomla Theme
Now I would like for SMF to display in the following way:

My Joomla header on top
Beneath that the whole SMF forum.

So the point is to get rid of the side menus ... Like on Joomla.org
I searched the forum but I can't seem to find the answer.. (Maybe I am using the wrong terms)

Can someone help me?

chadness
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Re: Making My forum look like joomla.org (SMF Forum beneath Joomla header)

Post by chadness » Mon Dec 11, 2006 3:07 pm

Just as a side note, this SMF forum at joomla.org is not actually bridged - it just has an SMF theme that looks exactly the same as it's Joomla template.

Anyways, you need to remove the modules from showing up when you have the Joomla menu item selected.  You do this in the module configuration for each of your side menus.

One problem you may run in to is that many templates aren't set up to collapse the left column when you remove the side menus.  In that case, you'll need to recode it a little to do so.  There's lots of posts about doing this, but if you need help, just post again.  :)

simpleme
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by simpleme » Mon Dec 11, 2006 4:16 pm

Ok then I think I will leave it bridged, but unwrapped and I'll try and redesign the SMF template a bit.

Thx for the help

chadness
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by chadness » Mon Dec 11, 2006 6:54 pm

No problem!  That's a nice easy way to do it if you don't want the extra menus.

raging storm
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by raging storm » Thu Dec 14, 2006 4:58 pm

Hey chadness-

Similar question, different forum...  I had actually posted this on the phpbb section but noone has bit yet.  I want to add my topmenu and header to my phpbb but leave it unwrapped.  Currently my phpbb is in a different folder and using a different database than my joomla install, and that might be why I am having issues making it work.  A little nudge in the right direction would be great, as the wrapper is only good about 75% of the time, and I would like to be out of the wrapper completely. 

For any phpBB specific responses, here is my original thread:
http://forum.joomla.org/index.php/topic,122452.0.html

thanks

_J

FYI - my wrapped, unbridged phpBB:
http://ragingstormrecords.com/main/inde ... &Itemid=68

chadness
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by chadness » Fri Dec 15, 2006 7:07 pm

"Wrapped" and "unwrapped" mean slightly different things with this bridge.  In this case, we're talking about wrapping using the SMF bridge, not using the Joomla wrapper component.  Probably for the reasons you want to, I never recommend using the Joomla wrapper component for wrapping a forum.  The SMF bridge makes the forum look like any component, so it's integrated smoothly without frames and scroll bars.

I'm not sure if you can do the same thing with a phpBB bridge.  You might try this one:
http://forum.joomla.org/index.php/topic,62351.0.html

I wouldn't know how to try to get Joomla's topmenu and header to show up in another web page otherwise.  The only other thing I can think of is making a phpBB template that duplicates those two sections, but isn't actually related to them (like they do here at joomla.org).

raging storm
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by raging storm » Fri Dec 15, 2006 8:26 pm

chadness wrote: The only other thing I can think of is making a phpBB template that duplicates those two sections, but isn't actually related to them (like they do here at joomla.org).
...and that, I think, is the direction I am leaning towards.  I realize that my phpbb probably can't call the topmenu module, for example, but can pull off a clone.

raging storm
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by raging storm » Fri Dec 15, 2006 11:12 pm

Alright, I've done some playing around with the css...  Basically all I did so far was copy my whole folder to my Joomla! install so I can test the forum without messing with what my users see.  I then just added the css of the joomla template to the css of the phpbb template, and adjusted a few url's when needed.

It looks great, I've got a forum with my whole tope header outside of a wrapper, but the whole table is on the left instead of centered.  I've messed around with removing some of the float:left statements, but that just seemed to make a mess.  I'm wondering what is conflicting to make my whole forum move left?

My alignment issues were fixed with a re-ordering of my php...  All is good right now except some very minor conflicts in css and the search box doesn't seem to work, but for now the hard part is done!
Last edited by raging storm on Sat Dec 16, 2006 3:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Pink Hera
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Pink Hera » Fri Jan 19, 2007 5:06 pm

I have a question;

I am using the SMF bridge, which works great as Chad stated, without frames and scrollbars.  The only problem is that it seems to "shrink" the forum.  I would like to get it a little wider, but am not sure what I need to edit to do so.

If I use the Joomla component, it is wide, as I would like (fitting under the Joomla Header), however, I'm plagued with scrollbars in certain areas of the forum.

Please help!

Asphyx
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Post by Asphyx » Fri Jan 19, 2007 7:37 pm

I would like to get it a little wider, but am not sure what I need to edit to do so.
Two ways to go here...One is very easy the other requires a bit more work...

1 - Create a new template (from your default) that removes a column (right usually but you can remove both if you want) and assign that new template to the forum link(s) in the menu that takes you there.
2 - you can set up collapsible divs with if statements that will disappear when no module is assigned to that menu item. that will require assigning modules to show on all menu items except the forum pages but will also allow you to shut off and collapse columns for other menu items as well.

I personally use the 1st option, and have the collapsable cols in the default.
Since there is no show on all except parameter in the menu assignment it is just easier than having to assign every module manually when I add a new menu item.
Ok then I think I will leave it bridged, but unwrapped and I'll try and redesign the SMF template a bit.
For an easy way of doing this, Load up your J! site in your browser and view the source. Copy the header code that was generated by PHP and paste it into your SMF template. a few tweaks to correct linkage may be in order but it is the fastest way to duplicate the code needed for your J! header in another app!
the only problem with that method is if you have any modules in the header you should shut them off first as they will not show current info once pasted into SMF. Something like a top menu might be ok as long as you don't change it too often.

But you could also get this effect with the wrapped methods and assigning new templates I posted above! and use the modules too.

Pink Hera
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Pink Hera » Fri Jan 19, 2007 8:02 pm

Thank you very much, but I already had the side modules taken off for the forum. I did change Joomla templates and found that it was the template (Joomla's) that was causing SMF's wrap to be fixed width.  I'm not sure why or how to change that, as I changed the width of the Joomla template.

Asphyx
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Post by Asphyx » Fri Jan 19, 2007 8:13 pm

Having the modules taken off is only half the battle though...
You have to put if statements into the J! template that will actually remove the empty col divs to release the space for the center colum to expand into.

Pink Hera
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Pink Hera » Sat Jan 20, 2007 1:21 am

Aha!

Thank you!  Can you elaborate more?  Since I only want this for my forum page, will doing so affect the rest of the site?

Thank you :)
Last edited by Pink Hera on Sat Jan 20, 2007 1:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Asphyx
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Post by Asphyx » Sat Jan 20, 2007 5:34 am

will doing so affect the rest of the site?
Only if you want it to! LOL
it will only remove the div if there are no modules assigned to display on that page. So by setting all your rightcol modules to not display on the forum but show on every other link you will get the column on every page but the forum. But you can also now use this trick at anytime and for any other content you might want to switch to a two col format for! Simply set the right col modules to not show on those pages and it will remove it from those pages as well! Nice if you ever decide to run a gallery that you want to go wider without righcol as well!

Code: Select all

<?php if (mosCountModules( "right" )) { ?>
   <div id="rightcol">
   <?php mosLoadModules ( 'right',-3); ?>
   </div>
the moscountmodules checks to see if any modules are set to display in the right position,
If so it creates the rightcol div, then inserts the mosloadmodules command into that newly created div.
If there are no modules set to display it will skip creating the div and it will cease to exist. Since it doesn't exist it frees whatever room it might have taken up and allows mainbody div to take up the slack created.

I personally suggest that all your module positions of your template be done in this way in your content section. The header and footer usually are strictly formatted so it rarely makes sense to do it for any module positions you have there.

But it is nice to know you can shut off an entire column at any time you want simply by setting the module display on menu items.

there are a few disadvantages as well though depending on your preference of design...
If you are SURE that you only will need this space on the forum and sure it will only be the right column you will ever get rid of then it actually makes more sense to create a copy of the default template and just remove the right col code. then assign it to the forum link and any other content item you want to remove right col for.

The reason that is easier is because the module display parameters do not have a ALL EXCEPT display function!
It's ALL, NONE or VARIES. and Varies is a hand select operation.
This means any modules assigned to right col must be hand selected to display for each menu item you create. And if you create a new menu item you will have to hand set each module you have assigned to right to add it to that display...If you have a lot of right col mods it can get a bit unwiedly after awhile! LOL

So I tend to set most of my right modules to show on ALL and simply assign the template with no right col mod position to those entries I want it gone for.

Pink Hera
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Pink Hera » Fri Apr 06, 2007 12:08 am

Was this supposed to go in my template index file?

I tried adding the code there, but it gives me an error about my smf.sessions table in SQL

Return to “SMF - Simplemachines.org Forum”