Do I really need a bridge?

Discuss the integration of SMF here.
DefStatic
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Do I really need a bridge?

Post by DefStatic » Thu Feb 08, 2007 6:22 pm

Or will having a bridge just make life easier?

I have Joomla and SMF installed on seperate DBs. I want the staff that can post news to login seperate from their SMF account. I don't want my SMF wrapped in Joomla, or exactly like my Joomla template, but simular.

All I really want to be able to do is have a few modules that allow for SMF login on my frontpage, some SMF statistics, Whos Online in the forums, and thats about it.

Any suggestions?

chadness
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Re: Do I really need a bridge?

Post by chadness » Thu Feb 08, 2007 7:28 pm

Tough call.  You can use SMF's SSI functions in modules to do most of what you need.  With the bridges, there are pre-written modules for those things, but doing one yourself shouldn't be too tough.  Do some searching and you'll find some modules for things like recent posts without using a bridge.

Since it sounds like you would prefer your staff to use a separate login for posting news items, I think I'd recommend not bridging.  That's exactly how they do it here.

DefStatic
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by DefStatic » Thu Feb 08, 2007 8:59 pm

chadness wrote: Tough call.  You can use SMF's SSI functions in modules to do most of what you need.  With the bridges, there are pre-written modules for those things, but doing one yourself shouldn't be too tough.  Do some searching and you'll find some modules for things like recent posts without using a bridge.

Since it sounds like you would prefer your staff to use a separate login for posting news items, I think I'd recommend not bridging.  That's exactly how they do it here.
Hmmm, yes, my previous experience with the SMF SSI functions was less than stellar. Perhaps built ina module (which I have never done either) I would have greater success.

Let me ask this, is it possible with most bridges to use the built in modules they provide without have to actually bridge my databases?

chadness
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by chadness » Fri Feb 09, 2007 4:01 pm

Most of the ones that come with the bridges need the bridges to work, I believe.  But, I haven't really tried using them without.

Here's a module for recent posts someone made.  It could be a good place for you to start.
Last edited by chadness on Fri Feb 09, 2007 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DefStatic
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by DefStatic » Fri Feb 09, 2007 8:28 pm

Thanks! Will continue my search, and that is a certain help.

wyeko
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by wyeko » Wed May 09, 2007 6:15 pm

thank you so much for this link!

Return to “SMF - Simplemachines.org Forum”