Using Joomla + SMF with JACLPlus

Discuss the integration of SMF here.
JNewton
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Using Joomla + SMF with JACLPlus

Post by JNewton » Wed Mar 21, 2007 7:59 pm

I'm relatively new to the Joomla world and I must say I'm impressed with what I see.

Anyway, on to my question: I need to establish various user levels for a community site I'm developing.  JACLPlus offers me exactly what I need.  Will the modified Joomla site "mesh" with SMF and either of the bridges mentioned in the forum?

cronlin
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Re: Using Joomla + SMF with JACLPlus

Post by cronlin » Sun Apr 01, 2007 7:28 pm

I'm using smf 1.1.1, joomla 1.0.11, and JACL all integrated

first, I use wolverine's bridge from joomlahacks - I use the forums for all my registrations - I also edited a file to make all new registrations automatically authors and I had to edit one of the jsmf files to do that, then when I added JACL it didn't have any kind of a difference other than what it was supposed to do

my only problem really came about from my SEF component, so be careful when you go to add those as it can cause issues depending on your settings in jsmf
As soon as you make something idiot proof, Nature makes better idiots!!!

If you want to know what "coulda", "shoulda", and "woulda" gone wrong, send it my way! I have a natural ability of mucking things up!

JNewton
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by JNewton » Mon Apr 02, 2007 3:36 pm

Thank you for the reply.  I've been testing JACLPlus and I've not been able to get it to do what I think it should do.  Quite apparently, I'm not doing something correctly.  Anyway, I'm going to give Community Builder a shot.  I've seen that SMF integrates with Joomla via the Wolverine Bridge.

A side note regarding JACLPlus, I believe that the package will do what I want, but I really don't have the time to play with it to discover it's secerts.  To the developer's credit, his english is a whole lot better than my knowledge of his language.  I believe that the inclusion of several examples would have gone a long way towards improving my understanding of his package.  This is a very common failing among small developers. While working for the gov't as a programmer, I use to hate doing documentation for packages that I developed.  It was just a necessary evil.  Once I was assigned a tech writer, the stuff I developed worked much better in the hands of the end user.  It wasn't that I built a bad product, it was my poor attempt at writing user documentation.

I guess that his is a round about way of asking for assistance in understanding JACLPlus.

cronlin
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by cronlin » Sat Apr 07, 2007 3:42 pm

that's mostly my problem as well, I just don't have the time... I had a user set to allow him to publish new content to the frontpage but only to the News section, yet every time I turned around he was posting it to other sections and he shouldn't have been allowed to

then I guess it doesn't help when the person refuses to listen to you when you say to NEVER publish to anything other than news... so he's not a news poster anymore
As soon as you make something idiot proof, Nature makes better idiots!!!

If you want to know what "coulda", "shoulda", and "woulda" gone wrong, send it my way! I have a natural ability of mucking things up!

Return to “SMF - Simplemachines.org Forum”