Okay, final questions on comparisons between Orstio bridge and Joomlahacks

Discuss the integration of SMF here.
breakaway
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Okay, final questions on comparisons between Orstio bridge and Joomlahacks

Post by breakaway » Sun Apr 15, 2007 6:50 pm

I have searched this forum as well as others for about 2 weeks, and it seems to get more confusing each time as the information is always contradicting one another, or vague enough that it's not useful.  So I'm just going to ask these and see if I can get definitive answers not just for myself but for anyone also tackling with these questions.

1.  They both seem to be able to join with CB, but people say that Joomlahacks integrates more.  So what is the difference between them?  From what I've read, everyone on SMF cannot just have 1 profile, they must have 1 SMF profile and a completely seperate CB profile which might be confusing.

2.  Can they both work with search engine friendly components/extentions?  If so, does it make any difference which SEF to chose?

3.  If not using either bridge, can the forum be crawled by Google if it is not wrapped?  Can we just submit the joomla and then the forum seperately?  I undersstand that Joomlahacks bridge can submit everything into google, but does Orstio's official bridge let us do that as well?

4.  If you want to have a blog style part on the joomla page, where users can leave comments or Digg it or trackbacks etc, how can that be done and are these compatible with either bridge?

Thanks
Last edited by breakaway on Sun Apr 15, 2007 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

chadness
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Re: Okay, final questions on comparisons between Orstio bridge and Joomlahacks

Post by chadness » Mon Apr 16, 2007 2:10 pm

breakaway wrote: 1.  They both seem to be able to join with CB, but people say that Joomlahacks integrates more.  So what is the difference between them?  From what I've read, everyone on SMF cannot just have 1 profile, they must have 1 SMF profile and a completely seperate CB profile which might be confusing.
They both can register the person in to CB, but the Joomlahacks version can redirect the SMF profile to the CB one.  That's the advantage to it as far as CB goes.
2.  Can they both work with search engine friendly components/extentions?  If so, does it make any difference which SEF to chose?
As far as I know.  I'm not totally clear on this, though.  I've heard OpenSEF and Artio work.  However, to get the real benefit, you need a sef_ext.php file to handle the redirects - I don't think any of the SEF components come with one.
3.  If not using either bridge, can the forum be crawled by Google if it is not wrapped?  Can we just submit the joomla and then the forum seperately?  I undersstand that Joomlahacks bridge can submit everything into google, but does Orstio's official bridge let us do that as well?
Of course!  If it's not bridged or wrapped, it's just a regular forum, and they can be very well indexed by Google.  Either bridge can also be indexed while wrapped, without using any SEF component, including the built in one.
4.  If you want to have a blog style part on the joomla page, where users can leave comments or Digg it or trackbacks etc, how can that be done and are these compatible with either bridge?
There are lots of options.  But, since we're talking about a bridged site, I'll assume you are talking about utilizing your forum for these messages.  In that case, you'll want to use a discussbot - there's a version for each bridge available.  These allow you to have comments under your articles that are part of the forum.

Return to “SMF - Simplemachines.org Forum”