This actually extends past smf and joomla integration.

Discuss the integration of SMF here.
sdad
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

This actually extends past smf and joomla integration.

Post by sdad » Tue Apr 24, 2007 3:33 pm

I use Joomla, Community Builder, SMF and SMF Bridge.  Please forgive this noob the improper use of terminology if any occurs.  I have Joomla's selected template as the visual centerpiece of the page.  SMF is an entry in the Mainlevel menu using the default "Forum" as the title.  In the mainmenu, clicking on "Forum" will launch SMF in the body of the page and highlight the selection in the mainmenu.  Perfect, just what I'm after.  Page is still there, and the Forum is displayed in the center.  Here's where things get a little sensitive.  Inside of Forum are a number of actions which I want to select from the mainmenu.  This will give a consistent look to the page and make accessibility to these various actions come from a central location.  That will increase the concept of integration.  These actions are things like pm, calendar, etc. ( I love how these options are weaved into the forum page.)  I have manged to pull off this by capturing the url and using it to create a destination when I add a menu item (url - link).  Finally, here's the problem.  When I select one of my added links, the action is successfully launched, but the menuitem is not highlighted.  Instead Joomla highlights "Forum".  I select "Personal Message", it launches and plays just fine, but instead of "Personal Message" being highlighted, "Forum" is highlighted. 

What I figure is this, but again, forgive me if this noob is wrong, Joomla detects the itemid only.  The captured url's are a sub of Forum's itemid and as a result is part of the name. (ex: index.php?option=com_smf&Itemid=29&action=pm).  In my example, itemid=29 is Forum, and it is the action which sends me off to do pm.  Joomla's highlighting routine doesn't recognize "action" but does itemid, so I end up with "Forum". 

If this is correct, then what I need is for Joomla to dig a bit deeper and recognize SMF's use of actions.  Being a noob, and real conservative, I don't want to mess with this without further clarification from someone who knows what they are talking about. 

Where should I parse the url for actions, where should I define variables, and so on.  Should provisions be made to incorporate additional methods of routine selections.

How about these: is there a different approach to adding to menuitems?.  Would a different bridge handle this issue?  Would the use of Fireboard provide calendaring, and personal messages and yet create a unique itemid for these various options? .

chadness
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Re: This actually extends past smf and joomla integration.

Post by chadness » Wed Apr 25, 2007 3:06 pm

Wow, great post!

Unfortunately, there isn't a built-in way to do what you want, as far as I know.  This is a weakness of Joomla that will be addressed in future versions.  As you've discovered, that menu highlighting is done directly off the ItemID.  Other bridges will act the same, and I'm guessing other forums will have the exact same issue.

You might be able to find a workaround using some Search Engine Optimization components, or something.  Search the forums - lots of people have run in to this issue, and different workarounds exist for different situations.  I haven't done too much with it myself so I can't say what will work for you, but I would think you could find some way to make this work.  There also may be some menu modules that will help with this.

Good luck!

Return to “SMF - Simplemachines.org Forum”