More and more about SMF Bridge, but what about BBPIXEL Bridge's?

Discuss the integration of SMF here.
vistartony
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

More and more about SMF Bridge, but what about BBPIXEL Bridge's?

Post by vistartony » Tue Aug 14, 2007 3:33 pm

Hi, this topic isn't open for flame or any other bad things byt only to know why disagree any free component and agree any paid component.
Well, I see a lot of messages and discussions about that SMF Bridge from simplemachines.org developed by Ostrio, without to enter in merit, we understood that by now it is not more possible to use it because of the restrictions mail from the license GPL and/or how interpreted from the Joomla!  Team.
Now, I see exist another Commercial Bridge that brinding Joomla! and vBulletin and Joomla! and IPB, for you all, Joomla! Core Team and all workgroup or who interpreted that GPL license, is that bridge legal? It isn't released under GPL license how the Joomla! license say and need before any component works on the CMS, vBulletin is a commercial board and have it's own license, IPB is a commercial board and have i'ts own license.
SMF is Free and the Bridge is FREE, and just the first have only it's own license but they say: it is OPEN SORCE, is that the way that from now in then we will see? "Or you jump to GPL or go away from Joomla!"
Please explain about that, thanks in adavnce and sorry my bad english.

Oldiesmann
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Re: More and more about SMF Bridge, but what about BBPIXEL Bridge's?

Post by Oldiesmann » Tue Aug 14, 2007 4:33 pm

Commercial systems are also incompatible because their licenses are not compatible with the GPL. This is the main reason that SMF's bridge for Joomla has been discontinued - even if we licensed the bridge under a GPL-compatible license, SMF isn't released under a GPL-compatible license.
The Oldiesmann
SMF Project Manager
SMF+Gallery2 - also works with Joomla! (Beta 3.1 now avaliable!)

vistartony
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by vistartony » Tue Aug 14, 2007 4:58 pm

Oldiesmann wrote: Commercial systems are also incompatible because their licenses are not compatible with the GPL. This is the main reason that SMF's bridge for Joomla has been discontinued - even if we licensed the bridge under a GPL-compatible license, SMF isn't released under a GPL-compatible license.
Yes, in fact, but I see alone a lot of perseverance versus SMF (I'm not a SMF fan) and nothing to say versus other Bridge's they are equally incompatible and however continue to sell and use but no nothing to care says, why? 
I see this at this moment...

vistartony
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by vistartony » Wed Aug 15, 2007 9:55 am

The absence of replies shows what I think, that one it wants to prevail on the other one, to impose the actual manner of vision the things, in this occasion, to impose the actual license, to this point also the templates should be released all under license GPL.
But surely it's only alone an mine impression...(I Hope)

I Love Joomla! anyway but i hate the discrimination

dotZen
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by dotZen » Thu Aug 16, 2007 12:48 pm

While the subject of this topic seems to be the "Hot Gossip", and with reason, I can't imagine how giving people (read: the world of developers "at large") 6 hours justifies enough time to draw any conclusion.

Maybe wait a while, subscribe to, or just keep tabs on your thread--until others reply?  :pop

Patience isn't just a virtue ;) It should be a required attitude.

vistartony
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by vistartony » Thu Aug 16, 2007 4:30 pm

dotZen wrote: While the subject of this topic seems to be the "Hot Gossip", and with reason, I can't imagine how giving people (read: the world of developers "at large") 6 hours justifies enough time to draw any conclusion.

Maybe wait a while, subscribe to, or just keep tabs on your thread--until others reply?  :pop

Patience isn't just a virtue ;) It should be a required attitude.
Yes, waiting.. :) ...

Return to “SMF - Simplemachines.org Forum”