copying registration details

Discuss the integration of SMF here.
FrankA2
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

copying registration details

Post by FrankA2 » Sat Jan 26, 2008 2:31 pm

I have no problem running SMF separately from Joomla, just with a link on the Joomla menu. Currently I have three separate sites with one giving access to the other two, I have to manually copy the registration after each registrant and then email them with the password. I have looked for a simple tool to copy these details from one site to the other without luck and assume that this is one of the tasks that a bridge does?

Obviously, replacing FB with SMF will mean a lot of extra work copying and mailing does anyone know of anything that will do this presumably simple task?

I tried various search combinations but perhaps this type of function has a special name? The title of this post had zero hits.

In some older posts there are copies of the SMF bridges, if I used one of those would I break the rules? Assuming that it does what I want, I really prefer to keep the two separate until the issues between the types of Open Source are resolved.

FrankA2
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Re: copying registration details

Post by FrankA2 » Tue Jan 29, 2008 8:49 pm

OK using a bridge breaks the rules... got that from top sticky, but presumably a program that just copies registration details on demand does not as it operates outside Joomla!?

Livebox
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by Livebox » Tue Jan 29, 2008 9:15 pm

FrankA2 wrote: OK using a bridge breaks the rules... got that from top sticky, but presumably a program that just copies registration details on demand does not as it operates outside Joomla!?
please read the Sticky again using the bridge is allowed but distributing the Simple Machines Bridge is not allowed. And the Joomlahacks bridge is distributed under GPL licence. And still available for download
Joomlabridge.org Joomla! and Mambo Bridge Support and Downloads. and Video Tutorials

FrankA2
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by FrankA2 » Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:17 pm

Totally confused now  ???

So, I can download from Joolahacks who cannot distribute it  :'( but do.

motokochan
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by motokochan » Wed Jan 30, 2008 5:55 am

To explain a bit clearer:

The bridge distributed by SMF is licensed under the SMF license. Joomla!'s license clarification made it so that non-GPL components cannot be used in Joomla!. Because of these issues, and out of respect for Joomla!'s license decision, the bridge has been discontinued. Because of the license it was under, the SMF bridge cannot be distributed.

JoomlaHacks forked an earlier version of the Joomla! bridge from SMF when it was under the GPL. Because of the license, this edition can be redistributed. Note that there are other unresolved license issues going on because of how SMF, the bridge, and Joomla! interact. (The basic understanding is that only pure-GPL solutions can legally work, making the bridge software GPL license invalid.)
Motoko-chan
Marketing Agent / Assistant Project Manager
Simple Machines

FrankA2
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by FrankA2 » Wed Jan 30, 2008 11:42 am

Thank you.

Return to “SMF - Simplemachines.org Forum”