Registered as author using smf bridge

Discuss the integration of SMF here.
cronlin
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Registered as author using smf bridge

Post by cronlin » Thu Sep 08, 2005 8:34 pm

On the other forums someone had posted a hack that would allow all new registered members to be authors. I really need this feature, but I do not know how to do it while using 4.5.2.3/SMF/CB and using the Bridge for all registrations.
As soon as you make something idiot proof, Nature makes better idiots!!!

If you want to know what "coulda", "shoulda", and "woulda" gone wrong, send it my way! I have a natural ability of mucking things up!

TheSaint
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Re: Registered as author using smf bridge

Post by TheSaint » Sat Sep 10, 2005 5:59 am

This sounds like an excellent extension to have. Mamboforge is down right now, otherwise I'd search there first.
Paul
http://www.gamehostingreviews.com - In development
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. - Edmund Burke

Orstio
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by Orstio » Sat Sep 10, 2005 12:26 pm

How about if it was an extended list or drop-down menu in the admin panel?

Register new users as:    Registered
                                  Author
                                  Editor
                                  etc.

"Freedom is not merely the opportunity to do as one pleases; neither is it merely the opportunity to choose between set alternatives. Freedom is, first of all, the chance to formulate the available choices, to argue over them -- and then, the opportunity to choose." - C. Wright Mills

cronlin
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by cronlin » Sat Sep 10, 2005 4:46 pm

too bad there isn't a way to configure it to have different groups.... such as members that fit into the author category but have a few extra privilages... such as publishing their own content without the ability to edit and publish other users' content... you know, a lot like forums have it where you can create new groups and set their permissions yourself on top of the default groups established... this would be great for mambo :D 
As soon as you make something idiot proof, Nature makes better idiots!!!

If you want to know what "coulda", "shoulda", and "woulda" gone wrong, send it my way! I have a natural ability of mucking things up!

Orstio
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by Orstio » Sat Sep 10, 2005 6:58 pm

Yes, it would be great if Mambo/Joomla's permissions system worked similar to SMF's.  I don't think that can be accomplished without hacking the Mambo core, which is something I refuse to do for any third party component.
"Freedom is not merely the opportunity to do as one pleases; neither is it merely the opportunity to choose between set alternatives. Freedom is, first of all, the chance to formulate the available choices, to argue over them -- and then, the opportunity to choose." - C. Wright Mills

Return to “SMF - Simplemachines.org Forum”