Joomla and SMF

Discuss the integration of SMF here.
bluefightingcat
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Joomla and SMF

Post by bluefightingcat » Fri Sep 16, 2005 9:11 am

Hi everyone,

I've heard that Joomla 1.0 will have a system to control user groups. I was wondering whether this system will be easy to bridge with SMF. It would be really great to have my SMF user groups bridged to my Joomla user groups without any major hassles.

Does anybody know whether this will be possible?

BFC

atelier
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Re: Joomla and SMF

Post by atelier » Fri Sep 16, 2005 5:05 pm

There is a bridge project available for synching SMF with Mambo. It works quite well and is well supported here and at SMF forums. Until the Joomla forge is ready you can get a copy at:

http://mamboforge.net/project/?group_id=543

bluefightingcat
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by bluefightingcat » Fri Sep 16, 2005 5:20 pm

Hi,

Yes I am fully aware of the fact that a bridge exists. It currently use it on my website. What I was wondering about is the fact that in the Joomla RoadMap the following is mentioned:
ACL Enhancements - Stage 1

This allows for the ability to add and edit the user groups system. It also allows for administrators to alter the access permissions based on function though the user interface. For example, you will be able to define which group(s) can install components or template, and so on.
I was wondering whether there would be any form of integration with SMF regarding this issue. It would be annoying to have two different systems of user groups (ie one for Joomla and one for SMF) and permissions on the same website.

I just thought I would mention this so that maybe it could be taken into account when developing the system.

BFC

Ivo
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by Ivo » Fri Sep 16, 2005 6:08 pm

For now, there are already two different systems of usergroups. Joomla/Mambo makes use of groups like editor and author, but SMF uses groups like moderator and general user...
4GM - Fantasy & Rollenspellen
4GM - Fantasy & Roleplaying
http://www.4gm.nl

bluefightingcat
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by bluefightingcat » Fri Sep 16, 2005 7:27 pm

Yes I understand that.

But what I want is that these two different systems would be easy to integrate should I decide to use both systems on my website.

For example if I Bridge SMF to Joomla on my website then I would also expect the usergroup settings of SMF to be integrated into Joomla too (or vice-versa).

See what I mean?

BFC

Markku
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by Markku » Fri Sep 16, 2005 7:41 pm

bluefightingcat wrote: I've heard that Joomla 1.0 will have a system to control user groups. I was wondering whether this system will be easy to bridge with SMF.
Hi bluefightingcat,

I'm sorry to inform you but Joomla! 1.0 will not have that functionality. Joomla! 1.0 will be based on current code of $ambo with some bug fixes and smaller enhancements.
Finnish Translation Coordinator -
Member of the Finnish Joomla Translation Team  - http://www.joomlaportal.fi

bluefightingcat
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by bluefightingcat » Fri Sep 16, 2005 7:54 pm

Terve Markku!

Is there any idea whether such a thing would be possible and would implemented in future versions of Joomla. Or should I go and annoy the SMF people to try and take it into account?  ;D

BFC

Markku
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by Markku » Fri Sep 16, 2005 8:46 pm

Hei bluefightingcat  :)

That might be possible with the future versions of Joomla! but there's no guarantee and you might have to wait awhile ;) I also don't believe that SMF dev's are willing to change their design because of Joomla!.

But may I ask what is it that you want to achieve? Is it really necessary to integrate usergroup settings of SMF to into Joomla?

Orstio
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by Orstio » Fri Sep 16, 2005 11:55 pm

There is a good chance that in the future of the bridge, you will be able to manage your users from one panel.  I have already played around with a few different concepts of this, but I am still undecided about whether that will end up as part of the SMF admin panel, or the Mambo/Joomla admin panel, or perhaps both.
"Freedom is not merely the opportunity to do as one pleases; neither is it merely the opportunity to choose between set alternatives. Freedom is, first of all, the chance to formulate the available choices, to argue over them -- and then, the opportunity to choose." - C. Wright Mills

vavroom

Post by vavroom » Sat Sep 17, 2005 11:24 am

Orstio, you have my vote with a single integrated panel for user management.  The bridge, which is a brilliant component, is perhaps most lacking there, as you end up having to look in both areas to affect changes at times.

I would prefer if it were in the Joomla! admin panel rather than the SMF one, simply because the majority of admin functions are already in the joomla admin panel.  In terms of user friendliness, having everything in one place is easier than having a bunch of thing sin Joomla, an da few things in SMF.

Just my 2 cents :)

Orstio
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by Orstio » Sat Sep 17, 2005 11:59 am

Yeah, that would be one of the reasons I remain undecided about which way to go with the integrating of user management.  Most user management in SMF can be handled from the user profiles, which are very easily extensible.  It would be very easy to add a drop-down menu for Joomla member groups and a hook to a function that would update the member to that group when the form is submitted by the admin.

It's not quite as easy to do in the Joomla admin panel, especially with multiple databases, but it does provide the "all in one place" intuitiveness.
"Freedom is not merely the opportunity to do as one pleases; neither is it merely the opportunity to choose between set alternatives. Freedom is, first of all, the chance to formulate the available choices, to argue over them -- and then, the opportunity to choose." - C. Wright Mills

Markku
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by Markku » Sat Sep 17, 2005 12:35 pm

Orstio wrote: There is a good chance that in the future of the bridge, you will be able to manage your users from one panel.
Hi Orstio, thanks for the very interesting info. Great to notice that you follow these forums and  listen the wishes of Joomla! users. 

atelier
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by atelier » Sat Sep 17, 2005 1:52 pm

Markku wrote: Hi Orstio, thanks for the very interesting info. Great to notice that you follow these forums and  listen the wishes of Joomla! users. 
Yes, great to see you here Orstio. Nice to see the mods dedicate a corner of this forum to you and your excellent project!

Orstio
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by Orstio » Sat Sep 17, 2005 4:49 pm

Hi Orstio, thanks for the very interesting info. Great to notice that you follow these forums and  listen the wishes of Joomla! users. 
Yes, great to see you here Orstio. Nice to see the mods dedicate a corner of this forum to you and your excellent project!
Thanks for the warm remarks.  Regardless of whether or not I reply consistently, I do read and pay attention to the users.  In addition to user management, I have been working on reducing the number of steps to install the bridge.  I know that the SMF development tream has also been working on ways to completely remove the need for the mod file in step 1, which in addition to my work will make the installation a quick install and configure process.

Return to “SMF - Simplemachines.org Forum”