Why do not use "normal" Wrapper with SMF?

Discuss the integration of SMF here.
HumanNature
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Why do not use "normal" Wrapper with SMF?

Post by HumanNature » Sat Sep 17, 2005 8:31 pm

Hello my friends,

I'm new in this Joomla! forum.

I use in my site the Orstio Bridge, but as you now if you choose to use the forum as wrapped the templates don't work nicely.

Today I have tried to make a new link using the wrapper to my SMF directory and the wrapper shows the SMF templates perfectly.

Now my questions is the folowing... is there any reason why I shouldn't use the wrapper to show my forum wrapped into Joomla?

Thanks a lot
If the say why? why? Tell them that is Human Nature

Orstio
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Re: Why do not use "normal" Wrapper with SMF?

Post by Orstio » Sat Sep 17, 2005 10:49 pm

Now my questions is the folowing... is there any reason why I shouldn't use the wrapper to show my forum wrapped into Joomla?
Yes, there are several.

The first is simply that if you don't like the look of the wrapped forum, and don't want to spend the time fixing your theme to work with Mambo (or don't know how), please also note that iframes (what the wrapper component uses) are also pretty ugly.  Nothing turns me off a website like an inset scrollbar.  Not to mention that search engines won't crawl any of the links in the frame, so none of your forum content will apear in any searches.

As far as the functionality of the bridge is concerned, logins and registrations may not work correctly when used with the wrapper component.  Don't expect cookies or sessions to be recognized or retained across the frame.
"Freedom is not merely the opportunity to do as one pleases; neither is it merely the opportunity to choose between set alternatives. Freedom is, first of all, the chance to formulate the available choices, to argue over them -- and then, the opportunity to choose." - C. Wright Mills

Return to “SMF - Simplemachines.org Forum”