Project Approval Process :)

If you have any 'mechanical' forge related issues/suggestions, pop them in here.
amhazing
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Project Approval Process :)

Post by amhazing » Mon Feb 27, 2006 8:02 am

Hi all,

don't really have the time for all this, but since Joomla is an important part of what I do, thought I'd better start caring ...

I have an issue with the new project approval process.

Only really became an issue when I got the following response about my desire to start my first "project":

------------------------------------------------------------------
Your request to create project Amhazing Spacer Module has been rejected.  The administrator added the following comment:

Spacer images are an old technique.

Title: Amhazing Spacer Module
Name: amhazing_spacer
Description: A simple module for layout spacing with a transparent GIF.  Spacer images are still the most effective way of forcing browsers to layout pages to the right dimension and this module simplifies the process of placing a transparent images in a modules and setting it's height and width.
------------------------------------------------------------------

Who gets to decide the validity of a project?  I thought this was Open Source?  Yep, Spacer images are an old technique, begs the question why there isn't a standard facility for their use in a Joomla template already... 

Besides, who gets to decide how the community uses Joomla??

There are a lot of newbies out there I'm sure who would like to know a quick and dirty way of spacing out a template by inserting a module that can set the width of a column or a the height of a gap between modules in a column without needing to know HTML or how to edit a style sheet... this is the easiest way I've found for my clients to do it.

Below from http://www.joomla.org/content/view/12/26/

"The name Joomla! is a phonetic spelling for the Swahili word "Jumla", which means "all together" or "as a whole". It was chosen as the entire teams behind Mambo were unanimous in their commitment to protecting the interests of the creators and community, which was the true cause for the success and acclaim earned by that project."

I'm not finding my interests protected here guys :)  I'm finding them restricted.. I worry because if you're knocking back my project who else are you knocking back? 

I suppose I would accept a 'this project already exists and can be found here' response but I don't accept a 'this project is not worthy one'

By the way - version one of the project is finished it can be found here:

http://help.amhazing.com.au/component/o ... Itemid,67/

I'd like help on solving the only problem I've encountered so far that I discuss here:

http://forum.joomla.org/index.php/topic,41123.0.html

RECOMMENDATIONS?
* How about you put up projects that you want to knock back to the community in a forum? 
* In effect what I've done here.. Hey if people don't like my project then sure, don't put it on the forge, but you're missing the chance to see what people want..  I say this because the next project I'd consider starting is a donation of my "one size fits all template" for those people out there who want to be able to churn out a Joomla a day and need a template that will work in any configuration and can be setup quickly..

thanks - open to discussion on this one..

regards,

Harry
Harry Longworth

Return to “Joomla Forge - Archived”