Non-profit user management in Joomla 1.5

Gathering of Joomla! developers and users in the non-profit community.
domdeez
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Non-profit user management in Joomla 1.5

Post by domdeez » Wed Feb 06, 2008 1:32 pm

I want a new non-profit site created with a comprehensive user management solution. I want to have 1 login for the whole site including for:

Shopping Cart
Blog
Forum
Donations
Event Registration
CRM

All of these things above would need to be installed using existing programs and will need to be modified to work together.

A profile needs to be created for each user. It should only requires a name and login, but I should be able to edit it through the database or CRM and the user should be able to edit it when they log-in.

I would like to be able to run queries for the information collected, which will require CRM software to be in the mix (this may have to be purchased commercially since this is a very important piece to what I want). Could be hosted remotely or in-house.  We are looking at 50,000 contacts.

If someone is logged in and makes a donation which requires billing info and shipping info, we would like all of that to be saved in their user profile (like with sites like amazon).

There are more details but that is what I need in a nutshell. 

Does anyone know of a company that can pull this off?  Costs?  Ideas?  Ideally I would like to find someone who has something similar already set up and modify that, but the more likely option is probably starting from scratch.

Toni Marie
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Re: Non-profit user management in Joomla 1.5

Post by Toni Marie » Wed Feb 06, 2008 3:20 pm

Moving to Professional Services so you get the best exposure/response.

juaned
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by juaned » Mon Mar 24, 2008 2:22 am

Hi

Let's check CiviCRM that software does all the things you need for free and it has a component for Joomla integration.

Good luck.

Juan E. Drault

domdeez
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by domdeez » Wed Mar 26, 2008 4:55 pm

How does Civic CRM compare to Community Builder for a universal login through virtuemart, phpBB, and the site itself.

Cedeira
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by Cedeira » Thu Apr 03, 2008 5:16 pm

CiviCRM is more than a registration and contact component. I don't think you can compare it to CB in features, a lot more features for paid contributions, paid events, organizations and contacts in CiviCRM than in CB. Unfortunately the CiviCRM folks are just starting to work on the integration between Joomla and CiviCRM, and thus there are issues with the integration and registration of users on both systems and syncs. Maybe nothing major, but you should consider asking the question on the CiviCRM forum, some posts already exist on this subject there.

I am considering CB use as well for my Joomla site, but I am still uncertain about how it will work with CiviCRM and CB and Joomla.

More research to be done.....

domdeez
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by domdeez » Tue Apr 08, 2008 3:48 pm

Thanks. User management is an ongoing issue with many Joomla projects I am working on. It is difficult to find a clear solution.

jsw
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by jsw » Mon May 26, 2008 8:31 pm

We have been using Joomla/CiviCRM for almost 8 months and are , by enlarge, very happy with the results. It is very comprehensive and covers almost all our needs.

However, I have just found out that CiviCRM only supports " MySQL 5.0.x or higher with INNODB support"

Unfortunately our host, which we are also very happy with, informs us that "...although, InnoDB has some advantages, it is very sensitive to file corruption and do not allow to restore specific tables in case it is needed. So there are no plans at this time to include it on our hosting plans."

Since we use CiviCRM for Event and Membership processing, this seems like it will be problematic down the road.

We are now exploring whether CB is the way to go. Would love to hear some other opinions on this.

thanks

jsw

domdeez
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by domdeez » Tue Jul 22, 2008 8:21 pm

Do you guys have CiviCRM successfully installed on Joomla 1.5. I heard it is not full compatible yet. If you do, its in legacy mode correct?

dnuttall
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by dnuttall » Wed Jul 23, 2008 1:06 pm

jsw wrote:However, I have just found out that CiviCRM only supports " MySQL 5.0.x or higher with INNODB support"

Unfortunately our host, which we are also very happy with, informs us that "...although, InnoDB has some advantages, it is very sensitive to file corruption and do not allow to restore specific tables in case it is needed. So there are no plans at this time to include it on our hosting plans."
With all due respect to your hosting company, there are TONS of highly competent hosting companies that have realized it is a DIS-service to avoid MySQL with InnoDB. The features that InnoDB provides, which seemingly are self-explanatory with CivicCRM or any powerful database-centric application that expects lots of concurrent users "doing stuff" simultaneously is that it provides a mechanism for "row locking" and "transactions" which prior/primitive versions of MySQL and other databases (commercial and open-source) did not.

Additionally, since Sun Microsystems now OWNS MySQL, there should be exponentially LESS concern about the viability, stability and reliability of the up-to-the-minute STABLE versions of MySQL.

My personal and professional experience with RDBMS environments on UNIX/Linux operating systems dates to around January 1986 and includes Informix, Oracle, Unify and several really obscure/defunct commercial products as well as our "global darling" MySQL.

You might be well advised to conduct an experiment for yourself by creating an account on a hosting service that offers FREE lifetime accounts to ANY U.S. based entity with an IRS 501(c)3 determination letter that you FAX to them. They don't do much "hand-holding" on a technical level, but their technical hosting is generally above reproach. I won't mention them in public, but if you PM me I can probably give a quick pointer.

My current professional status is "semi-retired", where I only do technical work on a pro-bono basis for Christian faith-based organizations and selected (based on my ultra-conservative views) U.S. based non-profits.

Dave Nuttall
San Antonio, TX

dnuttall
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by dnuttall » Wed Jul 23, 2008 1:20 pm

I've been deliberating/experimenting with Joomla 1.5.4 and both Drupal 5.x and Drupal 6.x, particularly with regard to user management issues for a church and a foundation that seeks to inspire inner city elementary and middle-school age children.

By now, most of us know that Joomla 1.anything has some limitations when it comes to what are called "access controls" (ACL)or "roles-based" permissions.

Drupal allegedly has a highly flexible roles/ACL mechanism, at least until you try to demonstrate it!

A roles-based-ACL is quite complicated at the technical/programmer level as well as teaching and understanding how they work, so when a person tries and it doesn't quite seem like it is as tasty as we would prefer, our enthusiasm is likely to drop-off rapidly. (Mine has for sure and I've been doing web-stuff almost since the web became available in the early 1990s).

At the moment, I'm considering an add-on extension/component/module called JACLPlus (apparently for Joomla ACL Plus stuff most of us haven't thought about but could and would use).

Getting the "state-of-the-art" download requires a small subscription via PayPal to what appears to be a small group of software entrepreneurs somewhere in Malaysia. I have no problem with that. Community Builder takes the same approach.

What I'm curious to know is if there are other developers/integrators or would be non-profit-organic-developers who have used or considered using JACLPlus, particularly with Joomla 1.5?

Feel free to post here or PM me if you're not comfortable sharing your views, etc.

TIA.
Dave Nuttall
San Antonio, Texas

Return to “Non-Profit Organizations and Joomla!”