Freecycle - Free Community Item Recycling Scheme

Gathering of Joomla! developers and users in the non-profit community.
SimonFinch
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Freecycle - Free Community Item Recycling Scheme

Post by SimonFinch » Tue Jul 04, 2006 5:36 pm

http://www.freecycle.org/

This organisation has local groups all over the world most seem to be using Yahoo Groups as a method of Offering and Asking for the Free Items that people want to dispose of.  It struck me that a database driven solution would be able to show all of the items still on offer, those taken etc. etc.

Not that I've got any chance of actually doing it as I'm not up to that sort of codeing, however, as FreeCycle seems to be based on not making Givers and Takers pay anything, prehaps some community minded Joomla Developer could create a component to handle this better?
The Freecycle Network™ is made up of many individual groups across the globe. It's a grassroots and entirely nonprofit movement of people who are giving (& getting) stuff for free in their own towns.

When you want to find a new home for something -- whether it's a chair, a fax machine, piano, or an old door -- you simply send an e-mail offering it to members of the local Freecycle group.

Or, maybe you're looking to acquire something yourself. Simply respond to a member's offer, and you just might get it. After that, it's up to the giver to decide who receives the gift and to set up a pickup time for passing on the treasure.

Our main rule: Everything posted must be free, legal, and appropriate for all ages.

brian
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Re: Freecycle - Free Community Item Recycling Scheme

Post by brian » Tue Jul 04, 2006 5:39 pm

Been using freecycle for a while now and it shouldnt be too hard to joomlafy the freecycle system. The big question would be is this actualy something that would be required. What is there abouyt the current freecycle ystem that doesnt work or could work better.

I'm a strong believer in "if it aint broke dont fix it"
"Exploited yesterday... Hacked tomorrow"
Blog http://brian.teeman.net/
Joomla Hidden Secrets http://hiddenjoomlasecrets.com/

SimonFinch
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by SimonFinch » Wed Jul 05, 2006 8:42 am

I'm a strong believer in "if it aint broke dont fix it"
With you on that one! 

I suppose my initial feeling was that there was a "confusion" of postings for Wanted, Offered and Collected and it made it hard to see what was still available.  Also, there'd be TVs next to Potted Plants and some sort of category classification system would help people trying to Offer stuff to get it found quicker if it was searchable in a more systematic manner.

Now, I've got to go and clean out my garage and get rid of some stuff.... :-\ :-\

Cheers,

Simon

fulltilt
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by fulltilt » Wed Jul 05, 2006 9:45 pm

What is there abouyt the current freecycle ystem that doesnt work or could work better.
There's a few things on my list ;)

I think the unthreaded nature of Yahoo Groups is terrible.

Maybe one day I'll start a site, but wouldn't just a forum that threads properly (like SMF) be all that is needed ?

SimonFinch
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by SimonFinch » Thu Jul 06, 2006 6:21 am

A threaded forum would better, but would still not allow people who got what they wanted or got rid of what they offered to "archive" (for want of a better word) their items to leave a clearer view of live items.

...c'mon someone must be up for the challenge, after all who'd rather work when you could spend hours dibbing about for a non-profit green cause for no financial gain at all! :-\ :-\ :-\

Cheers,

Simon

holdencreative
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by holdencreative » Fri Jul 25, 2008 1:38 am

There's a number of classified ads & listings components available for Joomla in the extensions directory - I'd suggest spending a little time there looking over possible solutions.
Joomla! is an all-volunteer project. Be Kind.

Did you know that you can make almost any Joomla! site into an app? http://weeverapps.com

Return to “Non-Profit Organizations and Joomla!”