Indian Language Translations

Moderator: imanickam

mediawizard
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Indian Language Translations

Post by mediawizard » Sat Aug 20, 2005 11:21 am

Hi,

I had proposed the formation of an Indian language forum to help translate this project to the official Indian languages like

Sanskrit  Mother tongue of all indian languages,the classical language of India that has lost it's value in the modern world. It is also one of the oldest languages in the world- perhaps the oldest to be recorded. All the ancient scripts are found to be written in the same language. 

Hindi [already has a helping hand - Vishal Pahuja] A national language of India, accent and dialect differs with different regions but almost every Indian has a working knowledge of Hindi. It is written in a Devanagiri script.

Assamese A language of Assam that's spoken by nearly 60 percent of the State's population. 

Bengali   [Nazmul says he's doing that] An official language of West Bengal, now spoken by nearly 200 million people in West Bengal and in Bangladesh. 

Gujarati It is the official language of Gujarat. 70 percent of the State's population speak Gujrathi but it the most spread language not only in India but also abroad. 

Kannada A language of Karnataka and is spoken by 65 percent of the state's population. It belongs to the Dravidian family. 

Malayalam The state language of Kerala. It is the youngest of all developed languages in the Dravidian family. 

Marathi An official language of Maharashtra. It has a fully developed literature of the modern type. 

Oriya A branch of the Indo-Aryan family, is the official language of the State of Orissa. 

Punjabi The official language of the State of Punjab. It is written in Gurmukhi script, created by the Sikh Guru, Angad.

Sindhi Is spoken by a great number of people in the Northwest frontier of the Indian sub-continent comprising parts of India and Pakistan.

Tamil The State language of Tamil Nadu. Tamil literature goes back to Centuries before the Christian era and is spoken by more than 73 million people. It belongs to the Dravidian language family.

Telugu A language of Andhra Pradesh. It is numerically the biggest linguistic unit in India. 

Urdu The state language of Jammu and Kashmir and is spoken by more than 28 million people in India. Urdu and Hindi have proceeded from the same source. Urdu is written in the Persio - Arabic script and contains many words from the Persian language. 

If you wish for any or all of these languages to be developed please enlist your support in this topic.
Last edited by Vish on Tue Nov 15, 2005 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mediawiz.Biz - Pro Web Solutions & Promotion

alamgir99
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Re: Indian Language Translations

Post by alamgir99 » Sat Aug 20, 2005 1:58 pm

Hi mediawizard
We had long debate and discussion about such Indic group and finally it was agreed upon that each langugae should proceed separately (not necessarily independently). Briefly, there are small group of volunteers working a single language. I personally started the translation in Bangla. Later, Nazmul, Zulker, Indranil and Anim had shown their interests. At this moment, Nazmul, Zulker and myself are spending some active time on this.

http://forum.mamboserver.com/forumdisplay.php?f=136
This was the place we discussed the issues and shared our experience.

If you are interested in Bangla translation, you are more than welcome to join us.

alamgir99

mediawizard
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by mediawizard » Sat Aug 20, 2005 8:02 pm

Hi Alamgir,

Thx for your reply, personally dont know any bengali [aside from jhalmuri, puchkas :-)]
Was just looking for a way to contribute and found their are no Indian languages [or any from the subcontinent] so I thought id try and garner support.

I am going ahead with Hindi [as soon a vishal contacts me should know the update]

Will get the translations for marathi and gujarati done and hope that someone helps with the css encoding and fonts.

Already heard from Nazmul so am going to leave bengali to you guys,

thx and regards

infograf768
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by infograf768 » Mon Aug 22, 2005 10:00 am

Hi Media wizard
Last CVS version may be downloaded here:
http://pasamio.homelinux.net/mambo/

only the ini files are concerned.
It is work in progress. SOme strings still in core are missing.

The help files are a different matter (147 of them).

Use Language Manager to create your new language as a copy of the English one.
choose the name: mylanguage_utf-8 for example.
Folder and copies will be created for all files in the category concerned (frontend, backend, installation)

Please choose your encodings in the mylanguage_utf-8.ini file (name is still an example) and translate in an external editor encoding aware.

The mysql database has to be encoded the same.

Good work.
Still no news from vishal.
Jean-Marie Simonet / infograf · http://www.info-graf.fr
---------------------------------
ex-Joomla Translation Coordination Team • ex-Joomla! Production Working Group

Vish
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by Vish » Mon Aug 22, 2005 5:49 pm

I am in now after a lot of things happening at my ends...I am back in business....
<y appologies for the delay....
--Vish "Still Learning"

mediawizard
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by mediawizard » Thu Aug 25, 2005 8:16 pm

NP, welcome... again

Have sent you a PM with my contact details.

Have also sent an email to relevant contacts from my rolodex,
will update you on the same once i get a reply

Vish
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by Vish » Thu Aug 25, 2005 8:21 pm

Check your email.
It will be nice if we can set this up soon

Infograf:
Do you have any input on how we should do this? That is coordinate between group of people who cannot phycally meet as I am in USA and he is in India?

May be we I should set up tracs or something to trac the progress of the project and set up milestones !!
--Vish "Still Learning"

infograf768
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by infograf768 » Sat Aug 27, 2005 4:18 pm

Vish wrote: Check your email.
It will be nice if we can set this up soon

Infograf:
Do you have any input on how we should do this? That is coordinate between group of people who cannot phycally meet as I am in USA and he is in India?

May be we I should set up tracs or something to trac the progress of the project and set up milestones !!
Hi Vish,

It's the case for all.
Setting up a specific Forum on one of your sites or an IRC is the usual way to go.
Distributing files among team members and getting them back through mail is the easiest.

One of you at least should follow the CVS (that is: not the one before the events, but the new one available soon)

mediawizard
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by mediawizard » Thu Sep 01, 2005 9:44 am

Vish, am going to add the relevant section of your email here for ref and continue the conversation here.
1) Translate installation
I started working on this first and have almost completed it. I would say,
90% is done.

2) Translate core
Two things to be done, translate the strings and the sql. I started with
some strings conversions. I would say may be 20% done in the strings,
nothing in the SQL

3) Translate Help files et al.  Nothing done in this either.
Where would you like to start from? I think we should first agree on some of release date first and then divvy up stuff.

How much technical man power do you have that you can have working on this? I have changed host of mamboindia.org and will setup something soon. Any other input?
Ok, will try and take this one by one...

1) Translate installation - Since you have done 90% could I get a look at the codebase to enable me to see what you have followed. You could also finish this bit.

2) Translate scripts and sql - I have about three people who can help with the transalations [English - Hindi], however, none of them have scripting knowledge so the scripts and sql would require the structure you provide.

3) Help files can be emailed to me, will translate and return [4-5 pages/day]. That should be the easiest.

Release date will come a lot later methinks,

Have also sent feelers to various state tech orgs for assistance, will follow it up and provide details.

Lets release Hindi asap, then I think they will help.

rgds

mediawizard
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by mediawizard » Thu Sep 01, 2005 9:46 am

As for setting up a forum and a test installation, would be happy to provide that,
would take about 48hrs to setup and get going.

[ I assume a standard 4.5.2 install with mambelfish would be fine? ]
Last edited by mediawizard on Thu Sep 01, 2005 9:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Vish
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by Vish » Mon Sep 12, 2005 7:06 am

Let me know when ever you are ready...
I just changed my host and changed the domain name from mamboindia.org to joomlaindia.org...

Did you get the translations I emailed you?
Any comments?
--Vish "Still Learning"

mediawizard
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by mediawizard » Sat Sep 17, 2005 6:59 pm

Vish,

You need to install this somewhere, also, I am looking essentially at front end translations for the rest of the languages, isnt that a lot easier than translating the entire app?

And, should we now work with J1.0? Was what I was waiting for to translate help files.

Vish
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by Vish » Sun Sep 18, 2005 7:45 am

mediawizard wrote: You need to install this somewhere,
I am not sure  if you are asking me this or telling me this? If you are asking me about the two files I sent you, they need to go in the installation/language folder of $ambo.
I am looking essentially at front end translations for the rest of the languages, isnt that a lot easier than translating the entire app?
Well, it depends. How you want to do it. If you want this done really soon to be able to sell it to the people, let me know and I will find some time to setup the site in Hindi atleast that you can then point to...I think help files should be the last but I think it is very important for us to translate them to be able to increase our user base in Hindi and other regional languages.

And, should we now work with J1.0? Was what I was waiting for to translate help files.

Well, thats what I have been asking my self. I looked at the Joomla 1 and the code base seems to older than what I have been working with. I donno what should we do...

infograf:
Any pointers? I am confused. I started to work on the .ini files and it seems that Joomla 1 is still using the .php language file !!

--Vish
--Vish "Still Learning"

mediawizard
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by mediawizard » Sun Sep 18, 2005 9:33 am

Vish wrote:
mediawizard wrote: You need to install this somewhere,
I am not sure  if you are asking me this or telling me this?
Asking - politely  ;)
Need to show people the o/p in Hindi
Vish wrote: If you are asking me about the two files I sent you, they need to go in the installation/language folder of $ambo.
Yup, already did that - but there seems to be a problem viewing pages  ???
This is why was requesting you to setup joomlaindia.org hindi demo asap - if you need some help with installation etc bcoz of time constrains at your end - let me know.  :)

Vish wrote: I am looking essentially at front end translations for the rest of the languages, isnt that a lot easier than translating the entire app?

Well, it depends. How you want to do it. If you want this done really soon to be able to sell it to the people, let me know and I will find some time to setup the site in Hindi atleast that you can then point to...
Yup, yup, yup - let us show ppl - the IT guys at one govt org specifically asked me for a demo.
Vish wrote: I think help files should be the last but I think it is very important for us to translate them to be able to increase our user base in Hindi and other regional languages.
You're the project leader ;D - just tell me what I can do immdlty
Vish wrote: And, should we now work with J1.0? Was what I was waiting for to translate help files.

Well, thats what I have been asking my self. I looked at the Joomla 1 and the code base seems to older than what I have been working with. I donno what should we do...

infograf:
Any pointers? I am confused. I started to work on the .ini files and it seems that Joomla 1 is still using the .php language file !!

--Vish
Will wait on infograf's answer

infograf768
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by infograf768 » Sun Sep 18, 2005 2:57 pm

Hello,

Joomla 1.0 is a rebranding with some new features, bug fixes and performance improvements for what was Mambo 4.5.2.3.

It does not contain .ini files. This is for Joomla 1.1 which is a work in progress.

You may though translate the php language file from Joomla 1.0 for Hindi if not yet available and release it on joomla Sourceforge.

There is a hack that permits admin and frontend language for the 4.5.2 series. It is called adminlanguage (the last version was 1.1)

It has not been released for joomla 1.0 for the moment and I don't know when it will be released as this is a 3pd hack.
When it will be, you will get a language.php file for the admin too.
Although not as thorough as the future Joomla 1.1, it is packageable to get a default language installer.

Now, this was not forecasted as a job for the Translation Teams as the job was officially starting with Joomla 1.1 (former 4.5.3 CVS).

If you want to do the help files also for 1.0, this is a completely different dump you need than the one provided before.

Hope this clarified the situation for you.

kezako13
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by kezako13 » Sun Sep 18, 2005 4:12 pm

I don't understand why the admin language pack has not been integrated into Joomla 1.0.
So many people used it in the Mambo 4.5.x series, so it is almost bug free, NO !
And it could have been the same for the installation !  :'(

infograf768
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by infograf768 » Mon Sep 19, 2005 5:07 am

kezako13 wrote: I don't understand why the admin language pack has not been integrated into Joomla 1.0.
So many people used it in the Mambo 4.5.x series, so it is almost bug free, NO !
And it could have been the same for the installation !  :'(
As stated above, the adminlanguage pack is NOT produced by the core team but is a 3pd hack.
Tht's why;

I have contacted the persons in charge and we will let you know when something new;

~Romil
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by ~Romil » Mon Sep 19, 2005 6:26 am

Namaste Vish and Mediawizard! :)

I'm interested to join the Hindi team, and have had li'l bit of "talk" with infograf on this. I know little about acutal translation process, but will be better if you streamline me into the process and let me whats the status like.

Thanks!

mediawizard
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by mediawizard » Mon Sep 19, 2005 1:12 pm

Hi Romil,

All help is welcome, as are you. Inforgraf & Vish are the ppl who decide, im just here to help :)

One suggestion though, pls remove the ref to $ambo from your signature - this is the Joomla project ;)

Vish
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by Vish » Mon Sep 19, 2005 5:49 pm

mediawizard wrote: Hi Romil,

All help is welcome, as are you. Inforgraf & Vish are the ppl who decide, im just here to help :)
Mediawizarad
That is not true. YOu are now as much part of the project as I am....
Romil
You are more than welcome to the project.

Team
I want to set up a Hindi Mambo webpage for demo purpose by the end of this week.
--Vish "Still Learning"

~Romil
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by ~Romil » Mon Sep 19, 2005 7:31 pm

mediawizard wrote: Hi Romil,

One suggestion though, pls remove the ref to $ambo from your signature - this is the Joomla project ;)
Thanks Mediawizard! The copy-paste of my siggy from old $ambo forums wasn't a cool idea, though doing the same with .ini files from $ambo CVS is better still ;)
Vish wrote: Romil
You are more than welcome to the project.

Team
I want to set up a Hindi Mambo webpage for demo purpose by the end of this week.
Nice to be with you sir, looking forward to offer my help with Hindi webpage and ultimately for a free, fresh Joomla in our very own Hindi.

Feel free to buzz me anytime. Also, is there any official mailing-list for updates on this project?
Last edited by ~Romil on Tue Sep 20, 2005 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sen
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Sen » Mon Sep 19, 2005 9:21 pm

mediawizard wrote: Hi,

I had proposed the formation of an Indian language forum to help translate this project to the official Indian languages like

Tamil The State language of Tamil Nadu. Tamil literature goes back to Centuries before the Christian era and is spoken by more than 73 million people. It belongs to the Dravidian language family.

If you wish for any or all of these languages to be developed please enlist your support in this topic.

Hi there,
I can do Tamil translations. I can also set up a Tamil/English bilingual Joomla site on my server. Please let me know how I could be of help. I'll also read the translation references on this site meanwhile and let you know if I have questions.

Nandri, (Tamil for 'Thanks'),

Sen :)

Vish
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by Vish » Mon Sep 19, 2005 9:50 pm

Nandiri

Do you have the translation already done in Tamil?
Do you have any domain name? If not, I can provide you with something like

tamil.joomlaindia.org if you want...
--Vish "Still Learning"

mediawizard
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by mediawizard » Mon Sep 19, 2005 11:15 pm

Infograf, thats four of us now, enough for a language forum?
Lets keep the language of use english though, ppl talking 15 languages might be tough.

Vish, pls let us know when the hindi page is up.

Hi Sen, welcome on board.

infograf768
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by infograf768 » Tue Sep 20, 2005 6:16 am

mediawizard wrote: Infograf, thats four of us now, enough for a language forum?
Lets keep the language of use english though, ppl talking 15 languages might be tough.
Yes, and it will grow when created (I hope).
How do you want to name it: Indian Forum or Indian sub-continent forum as some languages go farther than Indian borders?
Also you have to decide of a moderator.
let me know when decided.

regards

Sen
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Sen » Tue Sep 20, 2005 6:27 am

Vish wrote: Nandiri

Do you have the translation already done in Tamil?
Do you have any domain name? If not, I can provide you with something like

tamil.joomlaindia.org if you want...
Not yet. But I can start on it. It will be awesome if you could give me a domain name. Do you just mean domain pointers, or a site on your server too?

Thanks guys.

Vish
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by Vish » Tue Sep 20, 2005 6:32 am

I think  Indian sub-continent sounds good to me, What do you think mediawizard?
--Vish "Still Learning"

infograf768
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by infograf768 » Tue Sep 20, 2005 6:34 am

Concerning Translations:

Vish was and remains Coodinator for Hindi, I guess.
A Partner site has to be decided.

Any supplementary language could very well be a sub-domain, pecularly to host the help files (1.1).

I suggest also you open a project on Joomla SourceForge to host the language packages.
More specifically for 1.0 as this can be done now easily (only 2 files to package) and in as many languages as you wish.

When done and something ready to download, post a news to advertise your project and your site:
http://www.joomla.org/component/option, ... Itemid,55/

For any other language than Hindi, you may decide of another coordinator fully fluent in that language.

Sen
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Sen » Tue Sep 20, 2005 6:34 am

infograf768 wrote:
mediawizard wrote: Infograf, thats four of us now, enough for a language forum?
Yes, and it will grow when created (I hope).
How do you want to name it: Indian Forum or Indian sub-continent forum as some languages go farther than Indian borders?
Also you have to decide of a moderator.
let me know when decided.

regards
Indian Languages (or Indic Languages - to be geeky) would be appropriate, I think.

Many other languages (Asian, European, etc) go beyond their borders as well, so I'm not sure about the appropriateness of "Indian subcontinent" languages, unless the forum encompasses Sinhalese, Nepali, Mali, etc.

Sen
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Sen » Tue Sep 20, 2005 6:36 am

infograf768 wrote: Concerning Translations:

Vish was and remains Coodinator for Hindi, I guess.
A Partner site has to be decided.

Any supplementary language could very well be a sub-domain, pecularly to host the help files (1.1).

I suggest also you open a project on Joomla SourceForge to host the language packages.
More specifically for 1.0 as this can be done now easily (only 2 files to package) and in as many languages as you wish.

When done and something ready to download, post a news to advertise your project and your site:
http://www.joomla.org/component/option, ... Itemid,55/

For any other language than Hindi, you may decide of another coordinator fully fluent in that language.

I can be the co-ordinator for Tamil if we dont have one yet. Thanks.

Return to “Indic Languages Forum”