Hebrew Letters/Characters

DJsOak4
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Hebrew Letters/Characters

Post by DJsOak4 » Wed Nov 19, 2014 2:53 pm

I don't speak or write Hebrew (which makes this more difficult), but am wanting to put certain words and letters in Hebrew (and Greek for that matter) within our English website. I tried copying from my computer which has the fonts and pasting in an article and it doesn't show up the way it does on my computer. I'm thinking I need to add something to the Joomla 3.3.16 website but have no clue how to do that or where to find info on it. I hope this is the right place to ask this because I'm getting quite frustrated :(. Can anyone help and please be patient as I'm still a bit of a novice and do not understand CSS. Thanks much, DJ

Per Yngve Berg
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Re: Hebrew Letters/Characters

Post by Per Yngve Berg » Wed Nov 19, 2014 5:03 pm

Joomla uses the utf8 character set. Does your source text also use it?

Your template may use a font that don't have the full character set included.

DJsOak4
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by DJsOak4 » Wed Nov 19, 2014 7:23 pm

I'm using a RocketTheme template and it appears that I need to use a UTF-8 character set. The one I found for Greek has, for example, this:
φ 966 03C6 φ GREEK SMALL LETTER PHI
It worked when I used the "φ" which is good but the decimal and hex do not seem to work unless I'm entering them incorrectly (entered &#03C6 and tried &03C6), and not everything has the "entity" name. Have not been successful as yet in finding a Hebrew Unicode or Paleo Hebrew Unicode, other than an html coding for Hebrew (but I'm told that we should try to stay current and that is not current since we're in html5?). Oh, this is confusing. Thanks for any assistance you can provide, DJ

DJsOak4
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by DJsOak4 » Fri Nov 21, 2014 7:03 pm

After considerable investigation and trial/error, found that the utf-8 codes do work on our Joomla 3.3 site for the Greek and Hebrew. The Paleo Hebrew (to my knowledge) is not available in utf-8 so we will try something else, like a .png. Your answers pertaining to utf-8 is what got me on the right path. This is now solved and a big thanks!

Return to “Hebrew Forum”