Documentation

Discuss the universal connector for forums and other applications. (including vBridge )
Locked
User avatar
Predator
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace
Posts: 1827
Joined: Wed Aug 17, 2005 10:12 pm
Location: Germany-Bad Abbach
Contact:

Documentation

Post by Predator » Mon Oct 10, 2005 9:10 pm

In process
The "Humor, Fun and Games" forum has  more than 2500 Posts, so why not build a "Humor, Fun and Games Working" Group?
.....
Malicious tongues say we have this WG right from the start, they call it core team :D

User avatar
kenmcd
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion
Posts: 5672
Joined: Thu Aug 18, 2005 2:09 am
Location: California
Contact:

vBridge Manual DRAFT available

Post by kenmcd » Thu Oct 27, 2005 2:17 pm

The first draft of the vBridge Manual is now available for download from JoomlaForge.
vBridge Manual DRAFT v1.1 alpha 1 2005-10-27
http://developer.joomla.org/sf/go/proje ... dge_manual

The manual is currently available in HTML and CHM formats.
Content is identical in each format.
PDF will be added later once the content is stable (pagination is difficult until then).

vBridge Manual HTML (6.05 MB, ZIP)
vbridge_manual_draft_1.1_alpha1_2005-10-27_html.zip

vBridge Manual CHM (5.99 MB, ZIP)
vbridge_manual_draft_1.1_alpha1_2005-10-27_chm.zip


Note: this is a first draft release to get feedback, comments, corrections, etc.
It is still incomplete and quite messy.
The vBridge Component Installation sections should be complete.
Next will be additional information on the modules and bots.

Please post corrections, additions, comments, etc. in this thread.
██ LibreTraining

User avatar
Predator
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace
Posts: 1827
Joined: Wed Aug 17, 2005 10:12 pm
Location: Germany-Bad Abbach
Contact:

Re: Documentation

Post by Predator » Thu Oct 27, 2005 2:22 pm

First impression is woow good work Ken.
The "Humor, Fun and Games" forum has  more than 2500 Posts, so why not build a "Humor, Fun and Games Working" Group?
.....
Malicious tongues say we have this WG right from the start, they call it core team :D

User avatar
cpzhao
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice
Posts: 47
Joined: Tue Aug 23, 2005 6:58 pm
Contact:

Re: vBridge Manual DRAFT available

Post by cpzhao » Fri Oct 28, 2005 3:13 am

kenmcd wrote: The first draft of the vBridge Manual is now available for download from JoomlaForge.
vBridge Manual DRAFT v1.1 alpha 1 2005-10-27
http://developer.joomla.org/sf/go/proje ... dge_manual

The manual is currently available in HTML and CHM formats.
Content is identical in each format.
PDF will be added later once the content is stable (pagination is difficult until then).

vBridge Manual HTML (6.05 MB, ZIP)
vbridge_manual_draft_1.1_alpha1_2005-10-27_html.zip

vBridge Manual CHM (5.99 MB, ZIP)
vbridge_manual_draft_1.1_alpha1_2005-10-27_chm.zip


Note: this is a first draft release to get feedback, comments, corrections, etc.
It is still incomplete and quite messy.
The vBridge Component Installation sections should be complete.
Next will be additional information on the modules and bots.

Please post corrections, additions, comments, etc. in this thread.
Yes, WOW!  That's probably the most impressive documentation I have seen for a Joomla add-on.  Having complete documentation is a key factor in the perceived matureness of a software.  Good work, Ken.

Two questions:
1. Why not host the documentation online?  This way, people don't have download and unzip.  They can just go to their bookmark and look at it online any time anywere.  Looking online is simpler than searching for that local directory these days.  If I have your permission, I will host it on joomlaya.com.

2. There are no upgrade instructions.  That's important for your existing users.  Upgrading is not simple, especially many users need to upgrade Mambo -> Joomla, vb3.0.x -> vb3.5, then the bridge...

Anyway, Keep up the good work.  And let me know if it is ok to host the documentation online at Joomlaya.com.

Cheers,
joomlaya.com - 2000+ Joomla Add-on for Download.
templates.joomlaya.com - 600+ Template Live Demos.

User avatar
kenmcd
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion
Posts: 5672
Joined: Thu Aug 18, 2005 2:09 am
Location: California
Contact:

Re: vBridge Manual DRAFT available

Post by kenmcd » Fri Oct 28, 2005 8:59 am

cpzhao wrote: Yes, WOW!  That's probably the most impressive documentation I have seen for a Joomla add-on.  Having complete documentation is a key factor in the perceived matureness of a software.  Good work, Ken.

Two questions:
1. Why not host the documentation online?  This way, people don't have download and unzip.  They can just go to their bookmark and look at it online any time anywere.  Looking online is simpler than searching for that local directory these days.  If I have your permission, I will host it on joomlaya.com.
Different documentation formats have different strengths; and people also have preferences.
- HTML - very good for online, searchable, print is not so good, can be slow, tough to use at 35,000 ft. on your laptop.
- CHM - even better for offline browsing, can add usability features, very easy to search, print is again not so good, very fast.
- PDF - print is excellent, can take printed doc anywhere, easier to browse, take notes, can use to start camp fire.

I like to read printed PDFs on the patio while having morning coffee. Clear type. Sunshine.
I also keep a large library of CHMs and PDFs on my computer for easy instant access. My eLibrary.
Many of these I also have in print.
Can search multiple PDFs all at once. This comes in handy.
Each format has it strong points - why not have all of them? ;D

The HTML and CHM are fairly easy to produce at the same time.
The PDF requires substantial extra work to get the pagination right.
Once the content is stable, the plan is to also produce a PDF version.
Too hard right now - the content is going to change substantially with additions, etc.

After making the files, I realized I did not include a proper open source license.
I will add that in a future release.

Feel free to host it on Joomlaya. Wrap it or whatever.
Just leave the attributions in there.
I will have a proper license in there soon.

cpzhao wrote: 2. There are no upgrade instructions.  That's important for your existing users.  Upgrading is not simple, especially many users need to upgrade Mambo -> Joomla, vb3.0.x -> vb3.5, then the bridge...
I did upgrade both at the same time when making the manual screen shots (twice), so I do have a short checklist for that.
It's here in the forum - http://forum.joomla.org/index.php/topic ... l#msg87311

Upgrades is one of the sections which needs work. Was thinking about this today.
- Upgrade vBulletin
- Upgrade Joomla
- Upgrade Both
- Upgrade Modules or Mambots

Plans for the next drafts include
- Installation & Configuration Instructions for the Modules and Bots
- Upgrade Instructions
- Un-installation Instructions

This may happen in stages.
:)
██ LibreTraining

User avatar
binoyav
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice
Posts: 9
Joined: Thu Dec 07, 2006 9:40 am
Location: India

Re: Documentation

Post by binoyav » Thu Dec 07, 2006 10:00 am

Hi,

I have downloaded "rel1591 : mambo vbridge component" from http://developer.joomla.org/sf/frs/do/l ... bo_4_5_2_3

Even though its name is component, the zip also contains mambots, modules etc.
I have also downloaded the manual from http://developer.joomla.org/

From the doc , I found out the installation steps.

How to do the third step. ie, "Import Plugin Definitions XML File into vBulletin (vbridge-plugins.xml)"  ?

I could not able to find the vbridge-plugins.xml file in either zip or vbulletin folder.

Later I downloaded joomla-vbridge files. There I can find the above xml. Is that file compatible with mambo ?

Please help me..
Last edited by binoyav on Thu Dec 07, 2006 10:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

EMRhelp
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru
Posts: 510
Joined: Sat Aug 20, 2005 4:12 pm

Re: Documentation

Post by EMRhelp » Sun Dec 10, 2006 7:44 pm

There is no support whatsoever for vBridge currently.
You are on your own.

I "suspect" that **if** Joomla! 1.5 makes it possible to write a reasonable bridge, then Predator will make one, and it'll likely be great !

Until then, whenever, and if ever that is, your only reasonable option is ... bbpixel.com

User avatar
binoyav
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice
Posts: 9
Joined: Thu Dec 07, 2006 9:40 am
Location: India

Re: Documentation

Post by binoyav » Mon Dec 11, 2006 5:00 am

Thanks for the reply...

Found out that bbpixel is not free. Is there any free component ?

EMRhelp
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru
Posts: 510
Joined: Sat Aug 20, 2005 4:12 pm

Re: Documentation

Post by EMRhelp » Tue Dec 12, 2006 12:13 am

binoyav wrote:
Found out that bbpixel is not free. Is there any free component ?
Not that works.

stampertje
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice
Posts: 47
Joined: Wed Nov 01, 2006 4:32 pm

Re: Documentation

Post by stampertje » Wed Dec 27, 2006 8:44 am

does this bridge work with vbulletin 3.6.x???

EMRhelp
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru
Posts: 510
Joined: Sat Aug 20, 2005 4:12 pm

Re: Documentation

Post by EMRhelp » Thu Dec 28, 2006 11:15 pm

stampertje wrote: does this bridge work with vbulletin 3.6.x???
NO

varange
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling
Posts: 4
Joined: Fri Jul 13, 2007 12:18 am

Re: vBridge Manual DRAFT available

Post by varange » Fri Jul 13, 2007 12:29 am

Help!! These links are dead.
kenmcd wrote: The first draft of the vBridge Manual is now available for download from JoomlaForge.
vBridge Manual DRAFT v1.1 alpha 1 2005-10-27
http://developer.joomla.org/sf/go/proje ... dge_manual

The manual is currently available in HTML and CHM formats.
Content is identical in each format.
PDF will be added later once the content is stable (pagination is difficult until then).

vBridge Manual HTML (6.05 MB, ZIP)
vbridge_manual_draft_1.1_alpha1_2005-10-27_html.zip

vBridge Manual CHM (5.99 MB, ZIP)
vbridge_manual_draft_1.1_alpha1_2005-10-27_chm.zip


Note: this is a first draft release to get feedback, comments, corrections, etc.
It is still incomplete and quite messy.
The vBridge Component Installation sections should be complete.
Next will be additional information on the modules and bots.

Please post corrections, additions, comments, etc. in this thread.


EMRhelp
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru
Posts: 510
Joined: Sat Aug 20, 2005 4:12 pm

Re: vBridge Manual DRAFT available

Post by EMRhelp » Mon Jul 30, 2007 6:41 pm

varange wrote: Help!! These links are dead.
no.

vBridge is dead.

You shouldn't install it.


Locked

Return to “com_connector - Multi Joomla Bridge”