Common header

Discuss the universal connector for forums and other applications. (including vBridge )
JohnnyBGood
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Common header

Post by JohnnyBGood » Thu Dec 15, 2005 4:12 pm

I am rather new to CSS, PHP and web development in general, so please excuse my ignorance here.

I'm trying to have a common header for both vBulletin and Joomla, like the one that is used in joomlaya.com.

I suspect that it involves copying the CSS for the header in Joomla to vBulletin, but I would love it if there is a simpler way.  My ideal is to be able to run vBulletin in the main body like a wrapper, but without the wrapper scroll bar being inset, and instead having it as pure content.

I would apreciate it if someone could tell me how I can do this.

Thanks,
Last edited by JohnnyBGood on Thu Dec 15, 2005 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JohnnyBGood
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Re: Common header

Post by JohnnyBGood » Thu Dec 15, 2005 6:48 pm

Okay, I found a workaround.  Not sure if it is how it should be done, but it works nonetheless.

I just set all the modules I do not want to not be visible for the forum, and set the wrapper height to 100% with 'auto height' set to 'on'.

JohnnyBGood
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by JohnnyBGood » Thu Dec 15, 2005 8:02 pm

Okay, the solution that I have above work fine if the person links from within Joomla.  If however they try to go directly to the forums URL, it does not give the header.

I am going to try mess around with the PHP file for vBulletin and see if I can get anything to work.

If anyone has done this though I would really apreciate any feedback.

Thanks,

Spaz
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Spaz » Fri Dec 16, 2005 1:36 am

OK what u need to do is in a string replace function for vb. What it does it allows users to open links in new tabs/windows. so ur header will always be there.
http://forum.joomla.org/index.php/topic ... 18458.html
is the post with the code.

JohnnyBGood
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by JohnnyBGood » Sat Dec 17, 2005 11:14 am

Thanks Spaz, I will give it a try and see if I can get it working.

JohnnyBGood
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by JohnnyBGood » Sat Dec 17, 2005 11:28 am

Okay, there is a good chance that I am being an idiot here, but I can't get that to work.  I get a 'database unavailable' error.

Is the method you linked to the same one that Joomlaya.com are using Spaz?  Because it does not look like they are displaying vBulletin as a wrapper, but rather they are using the same header and top_menu that Joomla is using.

I would really apreciate any help on this one, as it is driving me nuts at the moment.

Thanks,

ocWikiSysop
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by ocWikiSysop » Mon Jun 04, 2007 11:14 pm

When I tried this suggestion I had the same results as Johnny. I'm very much in need of this tip so I'd really appreciate help on this.

Return to “com_connector - Multi Joomla Bridge”