Joomla - vBulletin integration necessary?

Discuss the universal connector for forums and other applications. (including vBridge )
Chaps
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Joomla - vBulletin integration necessary?

Post by Chaps » Sun Jun 25, 2006 5:23 am

I've been reading every post under the moon about this, but I fail to see if an integration is even necessary for me.

Basically I will be running a free site so all content is available to everyone...doesn't this eliminate the need for users to log in to Joomla?  And if I don't require users to log in to see Joomla content, is it necessary to intgrate with vBulletin?

Does the integration do anything else other than share registration info/process?

What I think I'll be doing is just using Joomla to run the articles/content, and the forum will be the only area that needs to be logged into to use (as well as it's add-ons like chat and such).

So is there really any advantage for my situation to integrate them at all?  Will it wrap the forum and such in the same header and footer if I do?  That seems to be the only advantage I can see for myself.

brad
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Re: Joomla - vBulletin integration necessary?

Post by brad » Tue Jun 27, 2006 4:48 am

Mod note: Moved to correct forum.

You might get an answer here.

brad
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by brad » Tue Jun 27, 2006 11:37 am

You can make the vBulletin skin to match your Joomla! site and 99% of your visitors will not know the difference. There is also the option of converting to SMF and bridging with Joomla! - my choice ;)

Mod note: removed trolling post.

Chaps
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Chaps » Tue Jun 27, 2006 1:09 pm

Thanks for the reply.  I don't want to switch forum software, so as nice as SMF if...I'm gonna stick with vBulletin.

Is it necessary to integrate Joomla and vBulletin to get the skins to match though?  Is it done automatically when you integrate?  Or do you still have to manually skin the template?

EMRhelp
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by EMRhelp » Wed Jun 28, 2006 12:45 am

Q:  Is it necessary to integrate Joomla and vBulletin to get the skins to match though? 
entirely different matters.  No.

Q:  Is it done automatically when you integrate? 
See above, no.

Q:  Or do you still have to manually skin the template?
You have to find a template that works well.
Making your color choices / template choices more limited.

timk99
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by timk99 » Wed Jun 28, 2006 9:36 am

If you are looking for a CMS/Portal which skins easily with your forum, then your best bet would be MKPortal. This will automatically take the the forum skin and skin the rest of the site accordingly.

However, I should add that I currently use MKPortal but am looking to convert my site to Joomla if I can ever get it to sync easily with vBulletin. Integrating MKPortal and vBulletin is so easy it is unbelievable. Trying to do the same in Joomla is like trying to get blood from a stone. Still there are quite a few restrictions to using MKPortal which is why I am still looking into it.

Return to “com_connector - Multi Joomla Bridge”