Installation Manual For com_connector?

Discuss the universal connector for forums and other applications. (including vBridge )
timk99
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Installation Manual For com_connector?

Post by timk99 » Tue Jun 27, 2006 12:22 pm

Does one exist?

It is extremely confusing how to install this thing. For example, it goes on about required modules and lists vbulletin soap and vbulletin sql. Surely you do not need both? But it is really not clear what I am supposed to do.

Is anyone able to offer a step by step guide on how to install this thing, including mention of all the prerequisites that need to be installed.

Also, does this work with 1.0.10?

ryates
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Re: Installation Manual For com_connector?

Post by ryates » Wed Jun 28, 2006 8:12 pm

I have not yet seen a consolidated manual on installation and yes, it can be a bit daunting.  It took me about 1-2 days to get it installed and the kinks worked out, but I'm now extremely happy with it.  As far as com_connector modules go, you simply plug in a module for whatever system you want to connect with.  If you're using vBulletin, then you need to choose from one of the two currently-available modules: vbulletin (soap) or vbulletin-sql:

vbulletin (soap) utilizes the VB-SOAP plugin for vBulletin also created by the author of com_connector to use the SOAP interchange standard for the integration.  The advantage to this approach is that you don't need to have vB and Joomla in the same database since the systems speak to eachother through application APIs and not by updating eachother's data.  The disadvantage is that this module requires PHP 5, but it's worth the upgrade IMHO.

vbulletin-sql connects directly to the vB database and synchronizes users that way.  It was created to support PHP 4 installations.  The disadvantage of this module is that the soap module is the preferred module supported by the developer so you'll likely get better features and support on that one. 

Also, com_connector currently only works on Joomla 1.0.8 and hasn't been updated to support 1.0.9 or 1.0.10 (unless I missed something).  The only thing that really prevents it from working are the changes in the Joomla core includes/joomla.php file.  If you were brave enough, you could merge the changes yourself, but there are extension Joomla core changes in this file between 1.0.8 and 1.0.10 that can make this challenging.  Leonsio will likely release a 1.0.9/10 version soon.

-Rob

tinkab3ll
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by tinkab3ll » Fri Jun 30, 2006 1:38 pm

you see, that simple breakdown has solved my "why wont this work"

it'd be helpful if there was a guideline with the files, that just said... tested on 1.0.8, with vb 3.5.4 for example...

ryates
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by ryates » Fri Jun 30, 2006 10:47 pm

I agree 100%.  Certainly my life would have been made easier by having all of the information in one consolidated location.  I know several have volunteered to collect and host documentation for this project, but I'm not sure the status of that.

-Rob

Return to “com_connector - Multi Joomla Bridge”