Magazine like Issues/Editions.

majortom
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Magazine like Issues/Editions.

Post by majortom » Fri Jan 27, 2006 12:54 pm

It would be very nice to be able to create issues/editions to match a traditional magazine/newspaper.

Each month (or week or day), there is a new edition with stories in several specific departments (e.g. Youth programs, New Member News, Family Activities, etc.) that all get released on the same day. When a new edition comes out,previous editions would become available from the archive, as well as making old stories available by topic area.

This would mean that one could select a past month's edition (e.g. March, February, January) and see all its stories, or a department (e.g. Youth Programs) and see all previous articles that have appeared on that topic.

For an example site that does see: http://www.Millimeter.com

Departments are listed along the top, while on the right side there is a popup menu that allows one to view old issues.

Thanks in advance.

/carmi

andrew_b
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Re: Magazine like Issues/Editions.

Post by andrew_b » Sat Jan 28, 2006 10:52 am

Try the component at www.ijoomla.com

majortom
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by majortom » Sat Jan 28, 2006 1:33 pm

andrew_b wrote: Try the component at www.ijoomla.com
Thanks, but it does not actually do what I need. It does not create a separate editions tag, just renames the category tag to be edition. I need to be able to have each standard topic area be a category, so that one can view archive articles either by edition or by topic area. I also need an easy way to create a popup list of past editions (something that I could not see how to do with this component). To clarify further, my concerns are not about layout, but about content management. This component seems mostly about layout.

Again, for a good example of what I need, take a look at http://www.millimeter.com

/carmi
Last edited by majortom on Sat Jan 28, 2006 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

damoncarr
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by damoncarr » Fri Apr 07, 2006 1:47 am

majortom,
I am keen to see this feature too. Have there been any developments that you're aware of?

Cheers
Damon

majortom
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by majortom » Fri Apr 07, 2006 2:08 am

damoncarr wrote: majortom,
I am keen to see this feature too. Have there been any developments that you're aware of?

Cheers
Damon
I have not seen any new development on this feature. Maybe with Joomla! 1.5 someone will look at this again.

/carmi

Hackwar
Joomla! Virtuoso
Joomla! Virtuoso

Post by Hackwar » Fri Apr 07, 2006 1:50 pm

This is not a feature Joomla will provide. There are extensions to do this allready that are specialized in a magazine like output.
god doesn't play dice with the universe. not after that drunken night with the devil where he lost classical mechanics in a game of craps.

Since the creation of the Internet, the Earth's rotation has been fueled, primarily, by the collective spinning of English teachers in their graves.

majortom
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by majortom » Fri Apr 07, 2006 1:59 pm

Hackwar wrote: This is not a feature Joomla will provide. There are extensions to do this allready that are specialized in a magazine like output.
Can you point me to one?

/carmi

Hackwar
Joomla! Virtuoso
Joomla! Virtuoso

Post by Hackwar » Fri Apr 07, 2006 2:48 pm

Sorry, forgot the name, but take a look at the extension site. As far as I know, its listed there.
god doesn't play dice with the universe. not after that drunken night with the devil where he lost classical mechanics in a game of craps.

Since the creation of the Internet, the Earth's rotation has been fueled, primarily, by the collective spinning of English teachers in their graves.

majortom
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by majortom » Fri Apr 07, 2006 6:09 pm

Hackwar wrote: Sorry, forgot the name, but take a look at the extension site. As far as I know, its listed there.
I have gone through the extensions and there are only two that talk about magazines and neither does what I have requested. Both are about formatting, neither is about content management.

/carmi

ibbasfilho
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by ibbasfilho » Sat Jan 26, 2008 12:32 pm

Need the same. The Imagazine (from ijoomla) is good, but create extra job. There´s a discution here too: http://forum.joomla.org/index.php/topic,37334.0.html

Another option is to create a category to each edition and put into it a content with links to the edition contents. Extra job too ...  :(

I´ll test the component Rokzine too. It´s at http://extensions.joomla.org/component/ ... Itemid,35/
:pop
Last edited by ibbasfilho on Sat Jan 26, 2008 12:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

majortom
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by majortom » Sat Jan 26, 2008 3:43 pm

ePublish, a module for Drupal is exactly what you want. That was what I ended up using for my site. Sorry I did not post this earlier, I forgot completely about this thread.

/carmi

ibbasfilho
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by ibbasfilho » Sat Jan 26, 2008 3:57 pm

Thanks majortom, but it works on Joomla too? If so, Where can I download it? (the Drupal files for it is located at http://drupal.org/project/epublish)
Last edited by ibbasfilho on Sat Jan 26, 2008 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Wishlist Archives - Archived”