[N/C] A possible Joomla/MyBB Bridge?

vintagedaddyo
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

[N/C] A possible Joomla/MyBB Bridge?

Post by vintagedaddyo » Tue May 22, 2007 9:51 pm

I suggest you guys try a Joomla/MyBB  bridge..., I know that would build great exposure for Joomla..., as many MyBB users are seeking a Bridge for a cms like Joomla/Mambo...,  and Elxis, Drupal etc. No one has created one yet for any of those scripts and  more and more people are dropping SMF IPB and VB because MyBB puts them all to shame.., and MyBB is free.., just as Joomla is..., So I suggest that Joomla be the first to take such a leap forward.., I already know of several people that would be willing beta testers for such a project. Also I know many folks that would come back to Joomla if such a bridge was created. This is for sure something for you to think on and a direction I feel many of your target audiences would be seeking. Thanks for your time and concern.

~vintagedaddyo
Forum Rules: http://forum.joomla.org/index.php/topic,65.0.html
[Signatures] May NOT contain any images.

baijianpeng
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Re: A possible Joomla/MyBB Bridge?

Post by baijianpeng » Sat Jun 23, 2007 1:45 am

What is the supority of MyBB ?  You know, we can bridge SMF, phpbb and vBB now. Why we should change to MyBB ? You must give more ditailed info to persuade somebody to deveop a new bridge.
JoomlaGate - Chinese Joomla Users' Portal

http://www.joomlagate.com

xKillswitchx
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by xKillswitchx » Fri Jul 20, 2007 4:03 am

MyBB may put phpBB to shame, but as for Vbulletin, I highly doubt it.  MyBB is nice and I like it, but VB is many times more powerful than MyBB is.

baijianpeng
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by baijianpeng » Fri Jul 20, 2007 5:40 am

Ok, if you think MyBB is better than phpbb, including phpBB 3.0, I will give a try to it.

BTW, have you found any bridge for MyBB ?
JoomlaGate - Chinese Joomla Users' Portal

http://www.joomlagate.com

darb
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Post by darb » Thu Jul 26, 2007 9:44 pm

...MyBB may put phpBB to shame.......
Well thats not true at all :o..... that MyBB should put phpBB to shame!  ???

Give me some true facts why this should be the true??? especially when we are talking about the new Olympus 3.0.  :D

Do MyBB have;  :pop
- larger user base?
- more mods ??
- more secure ??
- more clones?? 
-  etc
I can give you one example of o n e good phpBB clone like the phpBBfm. So after you have checked a l l the features come back with some comments after compared phpBB with MyBB  http://www.phpbbfm.net  :P

So what your comments?  :P
Last edited by darb on Thu Jul 26, 2007 9:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

joey_matthews
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by joey_matthews » Sun Jul 29, 2007 11:25 pm

darb wrote:

Give me some true facts why this should be the true??? especially when we are talking about the new Olympus 3.0.  :D

- larger user base?
- more mods ??
- more secure ??
- more clones?? 
-  etc
I can give you one example of o n e good phpBB clone like the phpBBfm. So after you have checked a l l the features come back with some comments after compared phpBB with MyBB  http://www.phpbbfm.net  :P

What's so special about PhpBB 3.0?

How long is taking them to sort bugs + actually release it? I'm not going to say anything more than that as both packages are good for the users but having more isn't always the best.  ;)

~Joey

P.s I won't joke about phpbb being secure...  :laugh:

darb
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Post by darb » Mon Jul 30, 2007 12:28 pm

joey_matthews wrote:
darb wrote:

- larger user base?
- more mods ??
- more secure ??
- more clones?? 
-  etc

What's so special about PhpBB 3.0?

How long is taking them to sort bugs + actually release it? I'm not going to say anything more than that as both packages are good for the users but having more isn't always the best.  ;)

~Joey

P.s I won't joke about phpbb being secure...  :laugh:
Shouldn't you describe whats so special/good with MyBB??  ??? ???  :)

Well I understand, if you are one of the core developers/supporters that you want to promote your own work but I also know that people here are not stupid to understand a not well-founded argument or as i this case nothing at all to support this statement!

I think that Joomla and phpBB have many similarities from the people behind them and with the same long term goals being an real open source software not creating a future trap if you go with them.

Praise to Joomla and phpBB team/community being maybe the best in their own focused category!  content management system - community forums...

Asphyx
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Post by Asphyx » Mon Jul 30, 2007 1:56 pm

Did everyone know that My Daddy is Bigger than Your Daddy? LOL

Ok seriously folks...

I have a few Questions about MyBB....

Is it GPL? (important as to how the bridge must be done)
Does it have the ability to hide sections and threads from user who are not authorized to see them?
How comprehensive are the banning tools? (This is almost the most important feature for a forum these days with all the spambots around)
How flexible is the templating?

I will take a look at the project....

As to someone writing a bridge well there is probably no one better qualified to do that than MyBB developers themselves.
I will point out that there is a lot more to good software than just features. How those features work and how well structured and organized the coding is done is very important too.

If anyone does take on the bridge project I suggest they start with J1.5 compatability and leave 1.0X for later.

AmyStephen
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by AmyStephen » Mon Jul 30, 2007 3:39 pm

Asphyx is right - it does appear that MyBB will have licensing issues. Distribution is restricted.

phpBB3 RC 4 was announced Saturday. And, as luck would have it, the world's most popular forum software is GPL.  8)

Amy :)

darb
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Post by darb » Tue Jul 31, 2007 11:30 am

AmyStephen wrote: Asphyx is right - it does appear that MyBB will have licensing issues. Distribution is restricted.

phpBB3 RC 4 was announced Saturday. And, as luck would have it, the world's most popular forum software is GPL.  8)

The dream would be to have Joomla 1.5 and phpBB 3 totally integrated with one flexible user profile editing capabilities... As now the CB is not enough and CB team just focusing on building other complimentary extensions i.e. subscriptions ( why not use AEC?) instead of providing a better more flexible way of focusing of user usage where its still a lot to do for improve the layout and flexiblity of the core.
Last edited by darb on Tue Jul 31, 2007 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

AmyStephen
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by AmyStephen » Tue Jul 31, 2007 1:41 pm

Darb -

Are you hooked into this Joomla! 1.5 and phpBB 3 Integration thread? I know baijianpeng posted in. That's where the talk is on the phpBB3 bridge.

m4rk0551
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by m4rk0551 » Tue Jul 31, 2007 5:45 pm

I am also seeking a Joomla-MyBB bridge. I want it so that users that register on my joomla site to be registered at the forum too, and vice versa. But I have no clue how to achieve such a thing.

darb
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Post by darb » Wed Aug 01, 2007 4:37 pm

I dont know about "bridge". I like the idea of the CB connector but I havent got it to work with this new settings yet. http://www.cbconnector.com/

I think this is the best idea sofar about makeing Joomla 1.5 and phpBB 3.0 work.

Otherwize many suggest this bridge to be the best? http://www.mehdiplugins.com/misc/phpbbjoom.htm

Pls come back with your experience!

ssnobben

joey_matthews
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by joey_matthews » Wed Aug 01, 2007 9:24 pm

AmyStephen wrote: Asphyx is right - it does appear that MyBB will have licensing issues. Distribution is restricted.

Good for them.

I still doubt they'll release it this year, but I never argued it wasn't popular or good. The worlds most popular is GPL?

Being "Free" just makes it easier to use and access. Free software I admire, even PhpBB although I wouldn't use it and would turn to buying more IPB licences if they was the only "free" package. lol
~Joey

P.s The benefits of MyBB is pretty clear, just like any software. I won't go into explaining why it should be considered because those who "are" thinking along those lines should see if it suites them and if the users of joomla/mybb would use it. It's amusing how BB use's go all defensive when some suggests using another or even mention it.

Return to “Wishlist Archives - Archived”