Code maintenance

ludootje
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Code maintenance

Post by ludootje » Tue Oct 03, 2006 8:54 pm

Hi there,

Open source systems are often tweaked by users. That's one of the reasons why they are "open": if they are not meant to be changed, they might as well be called "readable but not changeable" or something like that. Anyway, user tweaks or hacks tend to be a Big Hassle when official updates are published.

I'm not sure if it's Wordpress or SMF, but one of the two has a very nice system for implementing new lines in the code. The installer looks for the "line before" and the "line after" the code to be inserted, which makes updating, even if you have done a good deal of hacking, quite easy. Joomla follows the other way round: the new files is just dropped on your site, and it's the user's job to painstakingly re-insert his carefully crafted own additions.

Would it not be possible to change this and to apply the first approach?

Ludo

Narcissus
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Re: Code maintenance

Post by Narcissus » Wed Oct 04, 2006 1:24 am

Hehe... it's kind of funny that you mention this. I just finished trying to add something to SMF and gave up with that concept!

I don't like the fact that things have to be installed and uninstalled in the exact same order and I get the feeling that once a few 'mods' try to change the same area of code, things get 'yucky'. You end up in the situation where things are walking over the top of each other and then things turn bad.

I agree that there should be a better way of adding things 'here and there' but I would prefer ample use of hooks whereby I have my code with my component but when it comes time to do various things it calls my code to add it's 'flair'.

Return to “Wishlist Archives - Archived”