Accessing Extensions Repository from within Joomla?

Locked
dcsweb
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern
Posts: 70
Joined: Tue Feb 07, 2006 4:52 pm
Location: USA
Contact:

Accessing Extensions Repository from within Joomla?

Post by dcsweb » Mon Oct 09, 2006 8:29 pm

Hey all,

Just wondering about this idea... We're in the middle of looking at writing some code to access a remote repository of files and giving the admin of a site, a point and click install of that file.

Then it dawns on me.....what if we were able to take the great new Extensions repository and make that information available directly inside of the Joomla! admin?

Just curious if there would be any interest on this....I think the focus would be on the new users to Joomla!, but imagine how impressive that would be?  Search for a photo gallery component and be greeted with several options that you could just click and install :)

Feel free to move this post if there is a better topic for it..

Thanks guys,

Adam
eKith Arcade brings high-score flash games to your website!
visit us at http://eKith.com :)

User avatar
brad
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master
Posts: 13419
Joined: Fri Aug 12, 2005 12:38 am
Location: Sydney - Australia
Contact:

Re: Accessing Extensions Repository from within Joomla?

Post by brad » Mon Oct 09, 2006 8:35 pm

This is already something we have been planning for a while. ;)

All good idea just take time to implement.
Brad Baker
https://xyzulu.hosting
https://www.joomlatutorials.com <-- Joomla Help & Tutorials

dcsweb
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern
Posts: 70
Joined: Tue Feb 07, 2006 4:52 pm
Location: USA
Contact:

Re: Accessing Extensions Repository from within Joomla?

Post by dcsweb » Mon Oct 09, 2006 9:01 pm

Yes they do  8)

Thanks for your time!
eKith Arcade brings high-score flash games to your website!
visit us at http://eKith.com :)

User avatar
eyezberg
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero
Posts: 2860
Joined: Thu Aug 25, 2005 5:48 pm
Location: Geneva mostly
Contact:

Re: Accessing Extensions Repository from within Joomla?

Post by eyezberg » Tue Oct 10, 2006 7:02 am

The problem with the extensions site in regards of what you suggest is that not all download links really lead to a download directly; some sites you have to register first, others link the download from the "product page", others are commercial etc..
Sometimes one pays most for the things one gets for nothing.
The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing. AE
http://joomla15.[URL banned].com for J! 1.5 screenshots
http://www.eyezberg.com

User avatar
brad
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master
Posts: 13419
Joined: Fri Aug 12, 2005 12:38 am
Location: Sydney - Australia
Contact:

Re: Accessing Extensions Repository from within Joomla?

Post by brad » Tue Oct 10, 2006 7:04 am

eyezberg wrote: The problem with the extensions site in regards of what you suggest is that not all download links really lead to a download directly; some sites you have to register first, others link the download from the "product page", others are commercial etc..
Very true.. just thinking out loud here now, perhaps when this *finally* gets out, only extensions that are hosted on the forge might be available? Or maybe there is another way around this issue... not sure.. but yes, as you correctly noted there are lots of things to consider.
Brad Baker
https://xyzulu.hosting
https://www.joomlatutorials.com <-- Joomla Help & Tutorials

User avatar
absalom
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace
Posts: 1199
Joined: Thu Aug 18, 2005 12:37 am
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Contact:

Re: Accessing Extensions Repository from within Joomla?

Post by absalom » Tue Oct 10, 2006 7:53 am

brad wrote:
eyezberg wrote: The problem with the extensions site in regards of what you suggest is that not all download links really lead to a download directly; some sites you have to register first, others link the download from the "product page", others are commercial etc..
Very true.. just thinking out loud here now, perhaps when this *finally* gets out, only extensions that are hosted on the forge might be available? Or maybe there is another way around this issue... not sure.. but yes, as you correctly noted there are lots of things to consider.
API it.. Abstract and handle the URI manipulation between the site who needs it (the end user) and the vendor provider who submits to the Extension site. Wrap it into an XML feed, create a small component to ping / route traffic to check between versions that can be installed as part of the core processes on the client site, and you're done. You could then richly populate the RSS feed with the qualifiers of commercial / GPL / other, and potential login sequences needed.

So it's not really a 'dial-home' component, more a dial-though tunnel (VOIP would be a technological equivalent elsewhere - using one form of technology to implement/manage another tech)
Last edited by absalom on Tue Oct 10, 2006 7:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Design with integrity : Web accessible solutions
http://www.absalom.biz
http://twitter.com/absalomedia

dcsweb
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern
Posts: 70
Joined: Tue Feb 07, 2006 4:52 pm
Location: USA
Contact:

Re: Accessing Extensions Repository from within Joomla?

Post by dcsweb » Tue Oct 10, 2006 12:18 pm

Or perhaps just have the 'system' monitored?

Just 'Flag' extensions that meet a certain criteria...like you said if they're on the forge? Have at least one review?

The LAST thing you would want is an entirely automated system....I would fear malicious people writing all sorts of junk to get clicked-to-install by an inexperienced admin.

I know it sounds like a lot of work, but at about 800 extensions, I bet it would be easier to moderate than this forum :)

Let me append that: I would be willing to offer some time to help with moderation.

http://ekith.com for all your Joomla Flash Games needs!
Last edited by dcsweb on Tue Oct 10, 2006 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
eKith Arcade brings high-score flash games to your website!
visit us at http://eKith.com :)

User avatar
absalom
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace
Posts: 1199
Joined: Thu Aug 18, 2005 12:37 am
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Contact:

Re: Accessing Extensions Repository from within Joomla?

Post by absalom » Tue Oct 10, 2006 12:28 pm

dcsweb wrote: Or perhaps just have the 'system' monitored?

Just 'Flag' extensions that meet a certain criteria...like you said if they're on the forge? Have at least one review?

The LAST thing you would want is an entirely automated system....I would fear malicious people writing all sorts of junk to get clicked-to-install by an inexperienced admin.

I know it sounds like a lot of work, but at about 800 extensions, I bet it would be easier to moderate than this forum :)

Let me append that: I would be willing to offer some time to help with moderation.
That's what RSS / XML will allow. In the same way that Technorati and Feedburner works, you could envision the component doing a 'ping' refresh to see the latest content available for it (ergo monitoring).

And it simply depends what you put in the base XML file served from the Extension site. You obviously don't want all CMPs to be click-to-install immediately, but only those CMPs which are currently part of your site (so it checks the global feed and compares the version details. If the version details differ, it asks if you want to update). This can be limited through the functionality of the component used to check for updates so that it polls your component list first before handshaking with the Extension site XML file.
Design with integrity : Web accessible solutions
http://www.absalom.biz
http://twitter.com/absalomedia

dcsweb
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern
Posts: 70
Joined: Tue Feb 07, 2006 4:52 pm
Location: USA
Contact:

Re: Accessing Extensions Repository from within Joomla?

Post by dcsweb » Thu Oct 19, 2006 3:40 pm

Sounds like there is more than enough expertise to pull this one off :)

Be sure to post back as development begins!

Thanks!
eKith Arcade brings high-score flash games to your website!
visit us at http://eKith.com :)


Locked

Return to “Wishlist Archives - Archived”