Decrease the central importance of the menu

ludootje
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Decrease the central importance of the menu

Post by ludootje » Wed Oct 18, 2006 1:38 pm

My site was working fine. I added items to various categories, which I created long time ago, and they were viewed juuuust fine. Then I decided I needed another section and another category, to which I added items. * gasp * "You are not authorized etc.", the dreaded error message. What the heck had gone wrong? I had no idea, until, after hours or searching and trying in vain, I remembered that I had not made a menu item leading to my section. Problem solved...

Why am I saying this? Because I have always felt that Joomla's menu dependency is conceptually fairly weird. In this world of ours, the menu is a navigation tool. For Joomla, it's far more. It's a structural corner-stone. Without connection between content and menu, it's pretty hard to get things rolling. OK, it does the job, but on a very deep deep level, I feel it's not "the right thing to do". Joomla does a good job in separating content from form, but it replaces this by an unwanted union of content and menu. I feel both should be completely separate. If you want to link content to your menu, ok, you should be able to do so, but if you don't want that, you should not be locked out of your content.

I dunno if this is the proper place to publish such musings, but I feel that in the forthcoming 1.5 (or, say, 6.0) the menu dependency should be re-engineered.

Ludo
Last edited by ludootje on Fri Oct 20, 2006 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Wishlist Archives - Archived”