[SOLVED] - Safe Mode

toma
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

[SOLVED] - Safe Mode

Post by toma » Mon Nov 21, 2005 3:00 pm

When we can install joomla with Safe Mode ON and Safe Mode OFF !!!
Last edited by Jinx on Mon Dec 12, 2005 12:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Biladi Morocco USA
http://www.biladi.us

Hackwar
Joomla! Virtuoso
Joomla! Virtuoso

Re: Safe Mode

Post by Hackwar » Thu Nov 24, 2005 3:41 pm

Never, if you keep on screaming, writing in red and in bold letters...

As far as I know there is no problem with installing Joomla with Safemode on/off.
god doesn't play dice with the universe. not after that drunken night with the devil where he lost classical mechanics in a game of craps.

Since the creation of the Internet, the Earth's rotation has been fueled, primarily, by the collective spinning of English teachers in their graves.

toma
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by toma » Fri Nov 25, 2005 12:06 am

Hackwar wrote: Never, if you keep on screaming, writing in red and in bold letters...

As far as I know there is no problem with installing Joomla with Safemode on/off.
I agree no problem installing joomla, but problems begin with installing components and modules, i know what i am talking about, and i am not screaming its just red :) a lot of people can't use joomla for Safe Mode problems, if its no problem with safe mode on/off
Why Mambo need safemode Patch ?  :'(  <=== This is Purple  :laugh:
Biladi Morocco USA

fredibau
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by fredibau » Mon Nov 28, 2005 12:41 pm

toma wrote:
Hackwar wrote: Never, if you keep on screaming, writing in red and in bold letters...

I agree no problem installing joomla, but problems begin with installing components and modules, i know what i am talking about, and i am not screaming its just red :) a lot of people can't use joomla for Safe Mode problems, if its no problem with safe mode on/off
Why Mambo need safemode Patch ?  :'(  :(

Hackwar
Joomla! Virtuoso
Joomla! Virtuoso

Post by Hackwar » Mon Nov 28, 2005 1:47 pm

toma wrote:

You can easily install every add-on for joomla you like by uploading the content of the zip-file into a folder of your site and pointing Joomla to it. It can install the component that way like normal, the only thing you have to do extra, is uploading it. And even if that fails, you can still install it by hand by copying the files in the appropiate folders and such. The safemode-patch is only needed to change the upload-method from PHP-something to FTP. The patch does the same thing as you when you upload it first into a folder and install it from there.

To the color:
I know what red and purple are, but you use red only if you need to make a certain section of your text more "visible" than the rest, for example a warning message, painting your whole message in red is inappropiate.

Hackwar
god doesn't play dice with the universe. not after that drunken night with the devil where he lost classical mechanics in a game of craps.

Since the creation of the Internet, the Earth's rotation has been fueled, primarily, by the collective spinning of English teachers in their graves.

fredibau
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by fredibau » Mon Nov 28, 2005 2:26 pm

Hackwar wrote:
toma wrote:

You can easily install every add-on for joomla you like by uploading the content of the zip-file into a folder of your site and pointing Joomla to it. It can install the component that way like normal, the only thing you have to do extra, is uploading it. And even if that fails, you can still install it by hand by copying the files in the appropiate folders and such. The safemode-patch is only needed to change the upload-method from PHP-something to FTP. The patch does the same thing as you when you upload it first into a folder and install it from there.

To the color:
I know what red and purple are, but you use red only if you need to make a certain section of your text more "visible" than the rest, for example a warning message, painting your whole message in red is inappropiate.

Hackwar
why do that manual mambo doing that automatically by safe patch

Tonie
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by Tonie » Mon Nov 28, 2005 2:31 pm

The safe mode patch for Mambo is a core hack at the moment, not developed by Mambo devs. This will probably not work when Mambo 4.5.3 comes out. Somebody will have to hack the thing together, either for Joomla or Mambo.

Hackwar
Joomla! Virtuoso
Joomla! Virtuoso

Post by Hackwar » Mon Nov 28, 2005 4:21 pm

fredibau wrote: why do that manual mambo doing that automatically by safe patch
Because it poses a security risk. For safe-mode-patch to work you have to type in your FTP user and password. If there is a bug somewhere in Joomla, that lets you read the file this is safed in, evil persons can delete your whole site, misuse your server for warez-exchange and if you're very unlucky and your FTP user is the same for your Webspace-admin-area, they can completely hijack your server. And there does not have to be a bug. It would be enough that you don't know how to configure a server properly and you accidentaly give read access to your folders and you would be screwed. I don't think you can count on the expertise of the people out there to do this all correct. If they were that all knowing, they would probably change to Typo3. (I'm not that wise, I couldn't set up Typo3 on my localhost. => I'm sticking with Joomla.)

Doing it manually is not that much trouble and in reality you should only have to install the components once on your site and thats it. Having the (small) inconvenience to upload the files before installing would probably mean a time loss of 5 minutes...

Hackwar

toma
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by toma » Mon Nov 28, 2005 5:00 pm

For the moment, i do install everything manual, i will buy my own server to be just fine, love joomla  :-*
Biladi Morocco USA

neutronis
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by neutronis » Sun Dec 11, 2005 7:41 pm

I tried to do the manual install then it give me an unable to create "template" directory every time.

Jinx
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by Jinx » Mon Dec 12, 2005 12:12 am

The answer is pretty simple : in Joomla! 1.1 ;) We moved the FTP installer feature from the 1.2 roadmap to 1.1.
Johan Janssens - Joomla Co-Founder, Lead Developer of Joomla 1.5

http://www.joomlatools.com - Joomla extensions that just work

solsikkehaven
Joomla! Virtuoso
Joomla! Virtuoso

Re: [SOLVED] - Safe Mode

Post by solsikkehaven » Thu Dec 15, 2005 8:11 am

Hi Jinx.

How is work progressing - when will we be able to see 1.1 final ?

Could you also inform us about joomfish integration - what is the status - no information is available for a couple of month to us "mortals" - please inform us about what's happening ?
Morten Knudsen
http://mortenknudsen.dk - WordPress hjemmesideløsninger til vestjyske virksomheder og foreninger
http://wpguru.dk - WordPress Guru - tips & tricks til WordPress

Jinx
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by Jinx » Thu Dec 15, 2005 10:33 pm

solsikkehaven wrote: How is work progressing - when will we be able to see 1.1 final ?
1.1 is progressing nicely. A last alpha will be available soon.
Could you also inform us about joomfish integration - what is the status - no information is available for a couple of month to us "mortals" - please inform us about what's happening ?
U will need to ask Alex about the progress on the fish. :)
Johan Janssens - Joomla Co-Founder, Lead Developer of Joomla 1.5

http://www.joomlatools.com - Joomla extensions that just work

brandondrury
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by brandondrury » Mon Jan 23, 2006 8:09 am

The answer is pretty simple : in Joomla! 1.1  We moved the FTP installer feature from the 1.2 roadmap to 1.1.
What does this mean exactly?

Sorry, I'm a little ignorant/incompetent at the moment.

Brandon

Tonie
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by Tonie » Mon Jan 23, 2006 9:34 am

This means that you can install components and modules with the FTP user rights. This will help people that have the PHP setting SAFE_MODE=on.

raschidt
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by raschidt » Mon Oct 30, 2006 8:11 pm

What about that?

I´m ussing version 1.0.11 and nothing. I´m still have the same problem when install something! I need ask the host for assing to my account the new installation!

Tonie
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by Tonie » Mon Oct 30, 2006 8:36 pm

You have 1.0.11, not the 1.1 mentioned. The development version 1.1 has changed to 1.5 which is in first beta right now. When 1.5 gets stable, it will be possible to run Joomla easily with safe_mode=on

raschidt
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by raschidt » Wed Nov 01, 2006 12:26 pm

yes, the newest stable!

And the problem still appear. Well the newest is 1.5, but is not stable.

Atlantiz
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by Atlantiz » Sun Oct 14, 2007 2:38 am

You can easily install every add-on for joomla you like by uploading the content of the zip-file into a folder of your site and pointing Joomla to it.
How do I point Joomla to it because it's not working for me, I've been reading forum threads for the past two hours  :-\

And when I try to point it I get an error  Upload new component - Error
Another component is already using directory: "/home/exilesw/public_html/area51/components/com_xxx/"

I'm using joomla 1.0.11 btw

When I try to do it the normal way I get the dreaded error Failed to create directory
Last edited by Atlantiz on Sun Oct 14, 2007 2:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tonie
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by Tonie » Sun Oct 14, 2007 10:47 am

The 'another component is already using directory' error message means just that. You have tried to install it previously, so the files got copied to that location. Before being able to do a 'normal' installation without safe_mode, you would have to remove the directories copied to /components/com_xxx/ and /administrator/components/com_xxx.

Atlantiz
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by Atlantiz » Sun Oct 14, 2007 8:06 pm

Thank you for your reply. You're right the components were already there because I tried to upload them manually. If I remove them and try to proceed normally doing the upload/install from joomla then I get the "Failed to create directory" error, which I've seen many threads about. I also checked my directories and only "/tmp" is unwritable but I have no control over that since I'm on shared hosting.

Is there some way I can install my component? I don't mind if it's manually.

Return to “Wishlist Archives - Archived”