localhost development with remote update

paulmac
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

localhost development with remote update

Post by paulmac » Mon Aug 29, 2005 6:27 am

I have a sad  :'( internet connection, which makes editing a site remotely a bit painful, especially if I'm adding or editing alot of news/articles/images to my site. How about being able to do all your editing on a localhost, MSAS http://mamboforge.net/projects/msas/ for example, then when your finished, click "Update Remote Host" and the database is update as well as any new images/files uploaded to the remote host!(while you went away to make a coffee or go wee wee  ;) )

This would make Mambo a screamer of a cms and make updating sites for the bandwidth challanged like me a lot less frustrating! Also, I think this would be an good idea as it would mean that you had a complete backup of your site stored on your own computer.

Just a thought anyway.

regards

paulmac

pollen8
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Re: localhost development with remote update

Post by pollen8 » Wed Aug 31, 2005 9:23 pm

whilst that would be cool - it would be more complex that you think - as you would have to somehow sync the two databases together, mysql has a replication function but I've always had rahter mixed results trying to implement it.

One other idea is to run the site locally and point it at the live sites database - again only possible if you have a fixed ip address for your web site.
aka

fugazer
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Re: localhost development with remote update

Post by fugazer » Tue Oct 24, 2006 1:09 am

Yes! I always have coffee when I watch radar. You know that.

Return to “Wishlist Archives - Archived”