Inbulit Online repository (Module Download)

bluesaze
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Inbulit Online repository (Module Download)

Post by bluesaze » Fri Sep 09, 2005 5:33 am

Hello,
          I would be nice to have a inbuilt online  repository like we have in TYPO3 ..... It means that through the Admin panel of Joomla people can look at the diffrent modules and addons available (it will connect to the joomlaforge and retrieve the list of available modules).  Then the user just has to click install ........ it downloads it automatically and updates Joomla with the new addon ..... Just a suggestion it was a rather helpful feature in TYPO3
A. N. Jacob-New
The Tech & Design Blog http://www.Clazh.com

alterego
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Re: Inbulit Online repository (Module Download)

Post by alterego » Fri Sep 08, 2006 7:56 pm

I wholeheartedly endorse this suggestion. It's very important to the future growth of Joomla, IMO. At some point, users begin to hit that 'wall' where keeping the system updated and current is more trouble than its worth. Many components come with separate module(s) and mambot(s) each of which must be uploaded individually and turned on... usually after individually uninstalling each one individually, and also after checking to see if the mysql tables must be exported and saved in order to be reimported after the update so that data is preserved. The fact that there are a variety of methods various 3rd parties use to manage updates makes it all the more confusing to the administrator trying to remember how each of these components gets updated. And this all should be preceded by solving the initial question: Are there updates available for my installed addons?

We have scripts for cPanel such as Fantastico that do a nice job, generally, of creating notices of updates, direct installation of the updates, etc. Of course that script is server specific. My hope is that a future version of Joomla will include an API for 3PDs to establish a consistent method to updating their components, as well as a function to streamline the installation/update/uninstallation to allow for multiple selections when doing so.

One of the advantages, originally, for CMS products over traditional static HTML was that organizations could manage and 'own' their content more cost effectively without needing the web designer to be on retainer! Joomla is very easy to keep updated by the users. However, it's not easily kept 'current' as far as back end addons, and this eventually begins to offset the advantages of the CMS when a site begins to mature and expand its services through these addons. What we need for CONTENT Management Systems is a COMPONENT management system, but two CMS acronyms will kill us, so we'll have to call it an MMS for Module Management System.  8)

Return to “Wishlist Archives - Archived”