Content categories and templates/custom fields

msmiller
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Content categories and templates/custom fields

Post by msmiller » Sun Aug 21, 2005 5:31 pm

This may already be in the pipeline, but it's probably worth mentioning ...

It'd be great if the current section/category metaphor was re-done in a way that allowed an article to be referenced from multiple contexts. So if you wrote a review of some software it would be indexed both in the "software" context and "reviews" context. You can kind of get this with keywords, but it requires that content authors adhere to standard tag strings which is error prone.

Basically I guess I'm looking for sec/cat to be more of a folder metaphor, and articles can be linked to various folders.

Also in the content domain, it would be slick if you could add custom fields (or just have a bunch built in which could be named ... like the way PIM's work). This could also be great to allow other media (read: Flash) to be associated with an article.

Then if there was a template system of some sort which would allow mambots to access these fields (i.e. "{flash {custom1}}") it would allow a lot more control over formatting of complex articles. This would also allow templates to focus more on overall look and feel and leave content layout more in the hands of the site author who has a better feel for those requirements.

Another option would be to have an admin-configurable panel in the article edit form which allowed predetermined keywords to be checked on and off. This would cover the multi-category and custom field functionality to a degree without having to change anything in the core.

teng
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Re: Content categories and templates/custom fields

Post by teng » Wed Aug 24, 2005 2:39 pm

I agree.  ;)

VZey
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by VZey » Wed Sep 21, 2005 12:59 pm

yep custom fields is exactly what I'm after.. is anyone working on this? these fields should give you the option of having a drop down menu, or uploading an image, or typing something in. Ie, on a review site an artist field and song field etc.

pirkka
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by pirkka » Mon Sep 26, 2005 7:47 am

The requirement for custom fields comes up in just about EVERY cms project that I meet... It would be great to have support for this.

msmiller
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by msmiller » Mon Sep 26, 2005 3:21 pm

A lof of the code needed to make this work is already in Joomla. The component/module parameters handling code could be used to drive the content edit panels to set the custom fields. And the content params parsing/saving code is fine for handling the actual custom fields themselves. So if there was a "Custom Fields" admin component which added one field to the content tables, the rest of the code needed is pretty much there.

VZey
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by VZey » Wed Sep 28, 2005 10:21 am

cool, yeah, it seems like a basic sort of feature to me and i'm surprised such an 'old' script doesn't have this already.

So the question begs, who is going to do this?

Alejo
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by Alejo » Thu Oct 05, 2006 2:58 am

One of the things the jReviews component does is extend the functionality of Joomla content allowing you to add custom fields (select lists, radio buttons, checkboxes, text, textarea, etc). You can use the preformatted output and change the css or you can place them almost anywhere you want in the template.

The fields are editable in the frontend and backend in an interface separate from the Joomla content editing function to avoid core hacks.
https://www.jreviews.com/joomla directory, classifieds, and reviews system for Joomla and WordPress

phreak_02
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by phreak_02 » Fri Dec 28, 2007 4:54 pm

I'm looking for a component that would let me predefine an interface for my clients to post articles on their pages.
I wonder if jReviews can do that, without using it for what it is intended. I don't want my clients to deal any longer with editors that often behave like they shouldn't or when the code is messed up.

For now i need to give my users certain specifications to keep line with the design i intended. They need to bother about where the pictures appear, which css-style needs to be applied to wich headline and what size the pictures need to have.

• Is Templating in jReviews so strong that my users can use it just for article publishing ?
• Will they be able to edit it later ?
• Can i predefine what aspect-size the pictures will get after they are uploaded and where they should appear ?

Summarized: Can i use jReviews for creating a simplified form-based pre-templated content submiting application ?

Thanx for Info !
phreak
http://www.cycomsplat.com - I work for you !
http://www.kindaktuell.at - I'm running this !

Alejo
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by Alejo » Fri Dec 28, 2007 9:22 pm

The answer is Yes. But don't take my word for it. Download the trial and see for yourself. The whole review system can be disabled and you can use jReviews only for creating submission forms, advanced search and templating.
https://www.jreviews.com/joomla directory, classifieds, and reviews system for Joomla and WordPress

Return to “Wishlist Archives - Archived”