Joomla structure for add-ons

Your code modifications and patches you want to share with others.
garoboldy
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Joomla structure for add-ons

Post by garoboldy » Fri Oct 07, 2005 7:49 pm

I'm using joomla as the starting point for version 2.0 of site for a game that I am on the dev team with.  They have posted me as being the new site developer so blah to that lol.  Anyway here is what the site is supposed to be comprised of to start with.

Site Layout:(system needs to look like one complete package with the same look and feel)

CMS-Joomla
--this will be the core of the whole system(hopefully)
Forum-(currently phpbb) prefer convert to something else
--phpbb is fine but I'm wanting to work with something joomla oriented if that makes sense.
Project Tracking-Egroupware/phpgroupware/???
---this is for managing projects for the game dev team, tracking bugs, asignments,status on completion of certain things,etc.
Shop-(oscommerse,xtcommerce,???)
--with only offering 1 product to start with down the road and possibly services not sure what we really should go with.
Images-Gallery/Pony/???
--used by both users and dev team.  users can offer up their own screens, and the dev team can use it for displaying progress change screenshots.

That is main starting point I need to get working with. the other little things mainly are offered with joomla or as a component or module.

What I'm wanting to know is suggestions on what you guys think my best bet would be to go with on each section.  I appreciate the time and effort on replying. thanks

dr_drsh
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Re: Joomla structure for add-ons

Post by dr_drsh » Fri Oct 07, 2005 10:50 pm

Hi
I just wanted to comment on the forum thing "as I have no experience with other items"
I used SMF (Simple machines forum)  and used a bridge to bridge Mambo "and later then Joomla" and the SMF ,however I just didn't feel that the system is stable enough ,atleast it wasn't for stable enough for me , I heared many users talk about the Mambo-SMF bridge for  being stable and convenient ,maybe it is and  I'm just too picky.
You can use Simpleboard forum component,It lacks much of the fancy stuff phpBB and SMF have but it has the basic feature needed by any forum user these days,and the greatest advantage is it is fully integrated into Joomla,and since it is released under GNU/GPL you can tweak it to fit any further needs if you happen to have PHP knowledge,but if you don't I think it still can prove sufficient in its original shape.
Last edited by dr_drsh on Fri Oct 07, 2005 10:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
http://mostafa.mosmar.com/blog | My blog
http://mostafa.mosmar.com/jforms | JForms - WYSIWYG Forms Component for J! 1.5 (Beta)

garoboldy
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Re: Joomla structure for add-ons

Post by garoboldy » Fri Oct 07, 2005 11:40 pm

Thank you for the information. I will have to check out simpleboard and see how it is.  I am looking for a more feature rich forum than a basic system.  I work for a php dev company as a programmer so I might be able to just add on to the simpleboard if its easy enough to do so.  I appreciate the reply.

Return to “Core Hacks and Patches”