Modifying 1.5 for Multiple Sites

Your code modifications and patches you want to share with others.
Stinkbug
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Modifying 1.5 for Multiple Sites

Post by Stinkbug » Wed Aug 22, 2007 8:45 pm

Is anyone interested in working with me to modify Joomla to handle multiple sites?  I've started, but now I'm stuck and need someone to review the code and offer suggestions or enhancements.  I've attached what I've done so far.  The zip file includes the config component and the configuration.php file.

What I would like to do, if we can get this to work, is contribute it to Joomla and maybe it will get added.  I need this for the company that I work for and I'm sure that there are other companies out there that would benefit from this too.

Wouldn't it be nice to be able to add a site, but still have one Joomla installation and no duplicated database tables?  I think so.

If you're interested in taking on a project like this, let me know.  You can also email me at http://www.stinkbug.net/contact.asp.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

AmyStephen
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Re: Modifying 1.5 for Multiple Sites

Post by AmyStephen » Tue Aug 28, 2007 4:31 am

Stinkbug -

Rastin Mehr (Aristocrat), one of the Joomla! core developers, is looking for others interested in this, as well. Please see Topic: Hosting multiple sites within a single joomla installation.

Good luck!
Amy :)

Aristocrat
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by Aristocrat » Tue Aug 28, 2007 4:37 am

Thank you Amy! you are a Gem!

:)
Last edited by Aristocrat on Tue Aug 28, 2007 4:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rastin Mehr - Founder/Web Application Architect
http://www.rmdstudio.com - Social People Building Social Web Solutions ™
http://www.Anahitapolis.com - The Anahita Social Engine ™ project

Aristocrat
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by Aristocrat » Tue Aug 28, 2007 5:03 am

Stinkbug wrote: Is anyone interested in working with me to modify Joomla to handle multiple sites?  I've started, but now I'm stuck and need someone to review the code and offer suggestions or enhancements.  I've attached what I've done so far.  The zip file includes the config component and the configuration.php file.

What I would like to do, if we can get this to work, is contribute it to Joomla and maybe it will get added.  I need this for the company that I work for and I'm sure that there are other companies out there that would benefit from this too.

Wouldn't it be nice to be able to add a site, but still have one Joomla installation and no duplicated database tables?  I think so.

If you're interested in taking on a project like this, let me know.  You can also email me at http://www.stinkbug.net/contact.asp.
Hello Stingbug,

Just recently I did some Consulting for a client regarding this. Unfortunately because the lack of budget we didn't proceed with the project, although if you and I manage to build an open source vanilla component that each of us could customize for our clients, we might actually have a project for the next 3-4 month.

My plan is basically an extension that handles a list of cookie cutter websites that each can be accessed using a unique URL. In the same time some content can be used globally for all of those website using Joomla's default features.

This would make an ideal extension for consulting companies who have some global content and also provide unified individual websites for each of the advisers or consultants working within their company.
  • In this model each joomla installation belongs to a company
  • within each company we could have many offices
  • within each company we could have many users
  • there is a many-to-many relationship between users and offices
  • each user profile can be accessed using a unique url ( i.e. http://www.johnsmith.com ) we could do that using mod_rewrite in .htaccess rules.
  • all the profiles are managed by a web master ( joomla's Admin, Super Admin, or Manager ) because these companies often have policies that content need to be approved by upper management and updated by web master(s) only.
What do you think?

If there are more people who are interested please respond.

Cheers,
Rastin Mehr - Founder/Web Application Architect
http://www.rmdstudio.com - Social People Building Social Web Solutions ™
http://www.Anahitapolis.com - The Anahita Social Engine ™ project

moijafcor
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by moijafcor » Tue Aug 28, 2007 9:37 am

Very interesting! Can we setup some infrastructure somewhere online to develop a design concept and idea polishing in order to make a time frame definition based on development workload and logistic?

Saludos afectuosos para todos vosotros...
Nicht mehr!
Los acentos en castellano omitidos intencionalmente. | Les accents et les signes en français omis intentionnellement.
http://bio.moisesjafet.com

Stinkbug
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Stinkbug » Tue Aug 28, 2007 3:52 pm

First, I'm not really a backend developer.  I'm a frontend developer.  So I've guessed at everything I've done so far.  From a design perspective, I know exactly what I need, but how to develop it...  I'm not exactly sure.

I'm not sure that your needs are exactly what my needs are.  The model I'm looking for is something more like:
  • Install Joomla one time
  • The company needs multiple sites
  • Create http://www.somesite.com and add content to it
  • Create http://www.somesite2.com and add content to it
  • Each site template is different
  • Content can be separate or shared between both sites
  • Both sites are managed from one administration
  • Flexiable and powerful permissions allowing any user to access/add/edit only content they have permission to edit
  • workflow management
This is a little more than just multiple sites.  I also added powerful permissions and workflow management.  Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't believe the model that you mention above is the model that I'm looking for here.

If you're interested, I'm willing to design comps and task flows, I'm not sure I can do much development though.  If you look at the attached code above, I couldn't get the JFactory class to work in the JConfig class, so I just used the php mysql_connect function for the purpose of moving on with the project.  This goes to show that I don't really understand the Joomla system that well.

Anyway, let me know if this is something that you'd be interested in working on.  Like I said, I'm not sure that this will be what you are looking for.

moijafcor
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by moijafcor » Tue Aug 28, 2007 6:23 pm

@Stinkbug
This is a little more than just multiple sites.  I also added powerful permissions and workflow management.  Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't believe the model that you mention above is the model that I'm looking for here.
We really are on the same ship here (I mean Aristocrat, you and myself as you can see on a related post Amy had referenced above). Thats because together with multiple sites, etc. you also need ACL (access control levels) and the other features you listed, among few others.

I realize the J!1.5 framework has a huge learning curve, but in someway the idea is to be as friendly as possible with the  infoware codebase, in other words, minimum hacks on Joomla! codes.

The design phase is much more important than the code writing process, so you can be of great help for this enterprise, maybe with the UML blueprints, for example.

Thanks for your files, surely they are a good draft to start from.

Greetings...
Nicht mehr!
Los acentos en castellano omitidos intencionalmente. | Les accents et les signes en français omis intentionnellement.
http://bio.moisesjafet.com

Stinkbug
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Stinkbug » Tue Aug 28, 2007 7:53 pm

ok, sorry.  I totally missed the link that Amy posted.  I guess we can continue discussions there.  From looking at that thread, this is what I would like to do.  I will post my code as an attachment there just in case people are interested.

Thanks everyone!

mmenigma
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by mmenigma » Mon Feb 04, 2008 3:49 pm

This is an interesting concept for me.

I have three sites that I'm converting from HTML to Joomla 1.5 and really, really need something like this.

In addition to a single point of administration,  I especially need to do the following

When creating content for site A, I want to search for files on sites B and C to add to a module that will contain links, (the module will contain links to the selected files on sites A,  B or C).  Additionally, any file that site A links to will automatically get a link back to the file on site A. (site B file links back to site A without having to modify the site B file).

This feature should be available for all the domains (Editing files on B can also add links to A and C. Editing files on C can add links to files on A and B.)

This is basically a multi-domain, crosslinking module for a multi-domain administration.

Thanks, Mitch

P.S. I can not donate any programming time as I'm not a programmer.  I'm a publisher.  However, I can donate money if this project gets completed.

bbohiltea
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by bbohiltea » Sat Apr 05, 2008 2:09 pm

I am new to this env mysql/joomla(just downloaded last night) - but what I needed was to have multiple sites on the same webserver/db.
-So I copied the joomla folder in htdocs and rename it.
-Change joomla config file to look at a new schema (database)
-Than backed up the original joomla schema in MySql (the result is a .sql file)
-Replaced the name of the original schema(in my case joomla_sch with joomla_sch2) in the backup sql.
-Than run a restore to a new schema in MySql.

That is it. Now I changed content in one site and it is different from the other one.

Hope that helps

Bogdan

AmyStephen
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by AmyStephen » Mon Apr 07, 2008 3:36 am

Thanks bbohiltea.

I think multi-site has so many different meanings to many different people. I see you mentioning one meaning, which might be considered by some to be a distribution. Say you always wanted to install extensins X, Y and Z with every J! site you build. The method you describe is a good way to "clone" J! websites into multiple sites.

Others mean publishing an article in one site - and replicating that publication to multiple sites.

In this thread, (I believe) we are all talking about installing the Joomla! installation one time - then creating many sites using that one "joomla folder in htdocs", if you will. So, when it comes time to upgrade, one upgrade takes care of all sites simultaneously.

Thanks for sharing your excellent tips! Hope to see you around the forums.

Any new news from anyone on this? We have a couple of SoC applications for this type of functionality. Has there been progress made that someone wants to share?

Thanks!
Amy :)

mjh2000
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by mjh2000 » Sun Jun 01, 2008 10:27 pm

hi..i am trying to clone my joomla 1.53 site and seeing an interesting bug.
what i want to do is make an examplary website :

1. with all the components that i want and the articles that i want to be default.
2. do mysql dump and a backup of htdocs diretory.
3. copy the #2 into a new website.
4. restore #2 mysql dump to a new database.
5. change the parameters in the configuration.php.

the end result is to have 2 websites..that can modify independent of each other.

What is now happening is that if i make change to one website, i see the change on the other website.
THings i have changed are the admin password and the default theme. Can anyone tell me what i am doing wrong ???

I am so lost and confused.

thanks
mjh

thomasfedb
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by thomasfedb » Mon Jul 07, 2008 6:47 am

mjh2000 wrote:hi..i am trying to clone my joomla 1.53 site and seeing an interesting bug.
what i want to do is make an examplary website :

1. with all the components that i want and the articles that i want to be default.
2. do mysql dump and a backup of htdocs diretory.
3. copy the #2 into a new website.
4. restore #2 mysql dump to a new database.
5. change the parameters in the configuration.php.

the end result is to have 2 websites..that can modify independent of each other.

What is now happening is that if i make change to one website, i see the change on the other website.
THings i have changed are the admin password and the default theme. Can anyone tell me what i am doing wrong ???

I am so lost and confused.

thanks
mjh

make sure your not using the same mysql server (and the same database name)
If you are then the sites are still connected. Change the database name and then edit your config.pho

that sould fix it!

zizani
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by zizani » Tue Sep 23, 2008 5:36 am

A company has provided the solution. Have you ever tried it? http://www.jms2win.com/

kiminox
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by kiminox » Sat Oct 04, 2008 8:24 pm

http://www.jms2win.com/ seems to do what you want mjh2000 but it's not free

dynamicyuva
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by dynamicyuva » Sun Nov 16, 2008 10:19 pm

truly as amy.. says multiple sites have different meaning to different people,
i am was reading this topic for some days ,its really got deepen now.

however, to my problem i need only,to allow my registered users to through all my subdomainss without multi login. also singular registration.

pls detailed description...........I M new to JOOMbla!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TIA.

jayjoomluh
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by jayjoomluh » Wed Dec 03, 2008 7:00 am

hey everyone

just saw this

our company could use something like this, joomlas (no direct access) is one of its stupid limitations, our company has 24 FM radio stations that are all being designed for joomla,

count me in if a project is launched, we have 10 devs, and five designers here!
Whats Wrong With It? All I Did Was Change That One Line Of Code!

:pop

mj_mohit
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by mj_mohit » Mon Dec 08, 2008 6:53 pm

hi guys.
well i m not a hard core programmer. It was mentioned above "meaning of two website".
well i did an experiment. with same set of files (or some diffrent set of files) i made a clone of my site on a diffrent server with using old database. but they are mirror. i use the clone when a problem arise.
but as far as the concern of two website comes, i think it should be something where both uses same database....some same content and some diff content. and i think this can be done easily if provided with an option to which prefix the table sould use at every change in backend. this way three seprate set of tables can be used one for common content other two for two diff website, diff content.
--------- Knowing the best way isn't enough --------
-----Learning 9 wrong before 1 right is what kicks ----

jayjoomluh
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by jayjoomluh » Mon Dec 08, 2008 7:09 pm

i thought that we could already set the table prefix on every site?

interesting thought
Whats Wrong With It? All I Did Was Change That One Line Of Code!

:pop

mj_mohit
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by mj_mohit » Mon Dec 08, 2008 7:31 pm

yeah we can already chnage the table prefix. but thats not what i ment. that would be simply like creating two diff sites. i am just saying that if the option can for more then one table prefix can be added. we can have same tables for common content and diffrent tables for diffrent content.
thanx for reply.
--------- Knowing the best way isn't enough --------
-----Learning 9 wrong before 1 right is what kicks ----

miguelzuniga
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by miguelzuniga » Fri Jan 09, 2009 5:47 pm

Hi let me see if i got this straight

OK for several users through multiple sites in joomla you could use one of this options,

configure ldap and use it with joomlaldap plugin

or just simply do a symbolic link of the original user table into the other site table.

ex: ln -s /var/mysql/data/jos_user-orig /var/mysql/data/jos_user-site2

just remember that this is an example names of tables.

With that you can have as many sites working with the sames users and correct me if im wrong but i think the sessions fields are also on that table so your users wont even need to login again as they will share the same cookie for all sites.

hope his helps

confucion
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by confucion » Sat Jan 10, 2009 1:42 pm

Also interested in this topic.

Eventually if this becomes reality, is it possible to sign-in once and login all other sites at the same time?

Maybe some kind of Master/Slave syncing. So I would designate one Joomla install as the Master, and if logged in through there, all Slaves are logged in as well.

Even better is if the login is ubiquitous and if I login through a Slave site, I'm logged in at the Master and all other Slave sites as well.
Chris
netEditr.com - Joomla Content Editor Sandbox

kainshadow
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by kainshadow » Sat Jan 10, 2009 6:33 pm

Hi, like the topic says, i need to modify Joomla 1.5 to use ONE installation (file structure) for multiple sites (with different databases and, probably, configuration.php)

anyone can help?
i'm REALLY in troubles

oczkusia
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by oczkusia » Fri Mar 06, 2009 5:20 pm

Hello

Is there any progress on this? I'll tell you what I am looking for:
- create one "master" joomla install
- users who join on "master" get their own joomla sites, using the same install but the table prefix would be username_
- users who join on slave sites are NOT shared among the sites, also slave sites get their own templates and images folders
- slave sites are NOT allowed to install/remove components
- I have the option to add some content to all the slave sites (i.e. created using the [website] in the footer)
- the script detects what site to display by reading the address (www.USERNAME.site.com)

If anyone is working on it, please let me know. I am interested in a free version (for non commercial use). It's fine for me if it's based on the core files editing.

Thanks in advance.

hidabe
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by hidabe » Mon Mar 16, 2009 3:50 pm

Any new news from anyone on this? We have a couple of SoC applications for this type of functionality. Has there been progress made that someone wants to share?
Hi, i have any ideas and code about create multisites with same htdocs, with one hack to configuration.php.

I have one component for auto-create multi-sites, doing use of script sh for create user db, reply db, create user in new joomla db.

I think that it can be good SoC 2009 project, i am trying read faqs about it and how begin my project.

hidabe

chokarian
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by chokarian » Tue Mar 24, 2009 12:45 pm

hi every one i m new to joomla, i have a requirement to create multiple site from single installation of joomla , just make a clone of existing sites, as there any free component that solve my problem, i search on google find a component "jms1.1" but it not free, please help me .

thanks

Dnyandeep
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by Dnyandeep » Mon Apr 13, 2009 12:53 am

We have developed few Joomla sites in 1.0 and 1.5 series. Our Dnyandeep Education & Research Foundation (www.dnyandeep.net) has 5 sites in Joomla and we need to copy sections and categories from one site to other for better exposure of our work in different fields.
I think if Joomla installation is modified to allow many websites while building config file, single Joomla framework can be used to manage many sites. In config file there will be multiple entries of database, database-prefix, user and website on conditional ( if then or Do case style) format.
In content menu there will be URL, section, category hierarchy for articles.
We should have options of adding a site or deleting a site any time after one time installation. Hence there should be module for modifying config file in administration panel.
I am not Joomla developer but I am submitting my idea of possible solution from experts in the group.

jpvipond
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by jpvipond » Tue May 19, 2009 8:16 pm

I also would be interested in helping with this project. I am a developer (primarily back-end) and i am looking for a way to create multiple sites with a single joomla Install. When I say site I mean that if I pull up a template for it to be a blank or free of previously created content and the content that was created be available to me through the usage of another template. So in other words I want to be able to create multiple sites through one install of Joomla, and not have other Templates hold previously created content that may be enabled. I am new to Joomla so I haven't had time to Look at or tinker with the back-end but I would be interested in helping develop a solution for this problem.

Mishka1
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Mishka1 » Sun Jun 14, 2009 10:58 pm

I haven't checked this out yet, but it looks like something to start with.

http://www.ocf.berkeley.edu/~cqk/

Li_Man
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Li_Man » Wed Jul 15, 2009 6:55 am

Hi all

Look at my solution

We should modify only index.php and includes/defines.php files and that's it

Change

Code: Select all

define( 'JPATH_CONFIGURATION', 	JPATH_ROOT );
with

if (!defined('JPATH_CONFIGURATION')) define( 'JPATH_CONFIGURATION', 	JPATH_ROOT );
for the includes/defines.php

Then
Create additional directory at the site root and copy where configuration.php
Modify any configuration option for your second site
(another DB I guess will be the most used setting :) )

Then modify index.php

define('JPATH_BASE', dirname(__FILE__) );
To

define('JPATH_BASE', dirname(__FILE__) );
switch ($_SERVER['HTTP_HOST']) {
    case "<your-second-domain-name>":
      define( 'JPATH_CONFIGURATION', JPATH_BASE.'/<your-additional-configuration-directory-for-your-second-domain-name>' );
    break;
}
Heya. Now we load another configuration file.

For force another template you again should change only index.php
Change

$mainframe =& JFactory::getApplication('site');
to

$mainframe =& JFactory::getApplication('site');
switch ($_SERVER['HTTP_HOST']) {
    case "<your-second-domain-name>":
      $mainframe->setTemplate('<your-desired-templatename>');
    break;
}
I do not made the beauty for this post. I just want show the solution. You should get the idea and modify your index file with more elegant code :)

What do you think about this solution?

-------------------------------
Actually as I guess we have a little bug in Joomla because next code should work

$mainframe =& JFactory::getApplication('site', array('config_file'=>'<your-config-filename>'));
But this code not work because we have ugly debug setting preloader at the
/includes/framework.php (lines 45-60)

// Pre-Load configuration
require_once( JPATH_CONFIGURATION	.DS.'configuration.php' );

// System configuration
$CONFIG = new JConfig();

if (@$CONFIG->error_reporting === 0) {
	error_reporting( 0 );
} else if (@$CONFIG->error_reporting > 0) {
	error_reporting( $CONFIG->error_reporting );
	ini_set( 'display_errors', 1 );