[UNCONFIRMED:9153]Cannot save/ apply or cancel from thr frontend

mutari
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

[UNCONFIRMED:9153]Cannot save/ apply or cancel from thr frontend

Post by mutari » Fri Oct 05, 2007 2:27 pm

Hello everyone!

my joomla works fine until recently, when i log in to the front panel i realised i cannot save or apply or cancel any content changes. From my IExplorer i can see "error on page" on the status bar. Yet when i log in to the backend, i can edit content items with no problem.

Please advice. I am a newbie to joomla.

Thanks
Last edited by mihu on Fri Oct 05, 2007 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mihu
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Re: Cannot save/ apply or cancel from thr frontend

Post by mihu » Fri Oct 05, 2007 3:37 pm

TEST W/ SVN 9153 UNCONFIRMED

I test w/ FF 2.0.0.7 and IE 6

Could you provide your J!1.5 version and your IE version?
BTW, I can not find a "apply" button at front end, which component are you talking about?
My test is base on editing any of article.
bento2go.com - We DO NOT sell bento !!

mutari
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Re: [UNCONFIRMED:9153]Cannot save/ apply or cancel from thr frontend

Post by mutari » Mon Oct 08, 2007 6:23 am

Hi,
I am using joomla version Joomla! 1.0.10  and internet explorer 7. This affect all components. Even posting news articles brings this error.

thanks

user deleted

Post by user deleted » Mon Oct 08, 2007 10:22 am

mutari wrote: Hi,
I am using joomla version Joomla! 1.0.10  and internet explorer 7. This affect all components. Even posting news articles brings this error.

thanks
Moderator note; moving from 1.5 to 1.0 Q&T forums

BartDP
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by BartDP » Mon Oct 22, 2007 9:48 pm

I have the same problem.

Opened just also a case on http://forum.joomla.org/index.php/topic ... msg1045659
(Didn't saw this one first)

rrpeters
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by rrpeters » Thu Nov 08, 2007 11:09 pm

I am having the same problem too...what gives?

user deleted

Post by user deleted » Sun Jan 27, 2008 7:28 pm

mutari wrote: Hello everyone!

my joomla works fine until recently, when i log in to the front panel i realised i cannot save or apply or cancel any content changes. From my IExplorer i can see "error on page" on the status bar. Yet when i log in to the backend, i can edit content items with no problem.

Please advice. I am a newbie to joomla.

Thanks
Hi, could you please provide more info on the "error on page"? It should be possible to get detailed information by clicking on that error icon in your browser.

RCheesley
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by RCheesley » Wed Jan 30, 2008 12:20 pm

I too have experienced this problem periodically, particularly with IE but also on occasions with Firefox.  If you double click on the error for the details it gives "Access is Denied" if I remember correctly.  My sites were running 1.0.13 at the time, one in particular i remember was using JA_Mercury template if that is any help.

I'll test this again when I get home tonight although my computer has just died so can't check on the same machine but will do my best to replicate the problem.  I seem to remember that it persists even when logging out and logging back in - i wondered if initially the session had timed out but it did not appear to be the case.

It's a bit inconvenient as it leaves the articles locked at best, or unless you copy the text, cancelled.

Ruth x
Ruth Cheesley

Drew Manzella
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Re: [UNCONFIRMED:9153]Cannot save/ apply or cancel from thr fron

Post by Drew Manzella » Thu Feb 14, 2008 6:27 am

I am having the same problem. The problem occurs with IE6, IE7 and FF 2.0.

IE7 error is as follows:
Line: 1084
Char: 5
Error: Object Expected
Code: 0
The line it is referencing is:

Code: Select all

if (getSelectedValue('adminForm','catid') < 1) {
FF 2.0 Error Console reports:
Error: getSelectedValue is not defined
Source File: http://www.mazdaoca.org/index.php?optio ... Returnid=1
Line: 1084
I also have Firebug installed. It's report is:
getSelectedValue is not defined
submitbutton("save")index.php (line 1084)
[Break on this error] if (getSelectedValue('adminForm','catid') < 1) {
Additionally the cancel button does not work. The error is similar, just references this line of code instead:
submitform is not defined
submitbutton("cancel")index.php (line 1063)
[Break on this error] submitform( pressbutton );
Joomla version is 1.0.12. PHP and Apache are all current. JCE is the editor (though the problem existed with the default TinyMCE install as well). I have another site which is doing the same thing. It is running Joomla version 1.0.14 so I don't believe this issue is version-specific. The common thread I see is 3rd party templates. I did notice a backend error involving RSGallery2 erroring out when an upload was attempted. It started after I installed a 3rd party admin template. Going back to the default admin template resolved that issue.

I cannot switch the template on my 1.0.12 site for testing purposes. The site is live prod. I can try switching to the default on my 1.0.14 site just for testing purposes as it is a dev site.

If anyone needs to know anything else please let me know.

Drew Manzella
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Drew Manzella » Thu Feb 14, 2008 7:04 am

I just swapped templates on my dev site and the issue was resolved HOWEVER on further analysis I found that the error on the 1.0.14 dev site was due to an editor issue, which is NOT the same error on the 1.0.12 site.

The template I am using on the dev site did not have the init editor line in the head of the index.php file. Adding that launched JCE and solved the problem.

This is not the case on my 1.0.12 site. It is a different issue entirely. I also did some more testing with that site. I went ahead and copied the rhuk_solarflare_ii template from the 1.0.14 site to the 1.0.12 site (I took over the administration of the site after the paid developer sluffed off - he was the one who created the moca_default template and removed the built-in stuff) and swapped the templates real quick. The front end editor worked. I went back to the moca_default template and the problem came back.

SO for fun I copied the 1.0.12 site's moca_default template to my dev box, swapped it out and tried it. The front end editor worked so I am at a loss to where the problem is since both the rhuk_solarflare_ii and moca_default templates work on my dev site but only the rhuk_solarflare_ii works on my prod site.

Drew Manzella
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Drew Manzella » Thu Feb 14, 2008 6:08 pm

One more update.

I copied my 1.0.12 site over onto my dev server. The problem still existed. I then upgraded it to 1.0.14. The problem still exists.

So the issue HAS to be something related to a component installed within the 1.0.12 site that carried over but isn't installed in my 1.0.14 dev site, since the template worked fine in the dev site.

dc41
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by dc41 » Thu Feb 21, 2008 5:09 pm

I'm having the same problem. As a troubleshooting step, I decided to create a fresh 1.0.14 install and then start loading extensions until the problem reoccurred.

I didn't even have to go that far. The same bug is there in my fresh, unaltered, 1.0.14 install. I had not noticed it before because I always use Firefox.

Anyone any closer to solving this? Perhaps the problem arose with an IE update. Does anyone have an older version they can check?

Drew Manzella
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Drew Manzella » Thu Feb 21, 2008 5:46 pm

On a fresh install I don't get the issue regardless of what browser I use.

One thing I can tell you is that the site that is having the issue formerly had Community Builder on it. CB's people swear up and down that CB doesn't touch any core Joomla files but I don't believe that. Especially considering I needed to restore a fresh copy of the Joomla user administrator file.

Perhaps that is where the problem I am having is originating from.

dc41
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by dc41 » Thu Feb 21, 2008 8:50 pm

A little more info...

I wiped the domain clean of any previous installs (all files in public_html, all dbs and dbusers, etc deleted). I created a new db and user and then installed Joomla 1.0.14.

Using Firefox 2.0 I can access a content item and edit both into and main text boxes. All buttons work fine.

Using IE 7 I can access content items, but I cannot edit the intro text box. I can edit the main text box. The java-based buttons do not work, but the url based ones do work. If I switch the Default WYSIWYG Editor to "no wysiwyg editor" in global configurations, then everything works!

I'm still no closer to solving it though.

gingivitis
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by gingivitis » Sat Mar 22, 2008 1:58 pm

bump

watergbaby_gurl
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by watergbaby_gurl » Fri Jun 13, 2008 3:56 am

I also am experiencing the same thing.

Just 2 days ago i can no longer save any changes i make in the site. worst is if i press cancel the button seems to work but when you start to refresh and check the page, the content is gone. The only way you can do i press the back button if you open a content and want to leave it untouched bec pressing save would mean also losing the content.

Have tried several times to type, copy paste from another page data and see what happens after saving - nothing.

There was nothing I did in particular this week or recently that i could remember any alteraion could cause this.

Been reading other posts, says deactivate Tiny editor in global settings.. also done the adding www in the url above - still nothing.

IT seems its been happening to many users and somehow they have done some quick fixes but nothing really concrete as to what is going on . This was so sudden out of the blue and i can and am scare to touch anything on the site now.

I am using version 1.0.11 on firefox. tried to see using IE same thing.

Can anyone help us?

rrpeters
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by rrpeters » Fri Jun 13, 2008 1:41 pm

I resolved my problem by turning off my Firewall.
My firewall is ZoneAlarm...
Then I reset it to allow Saving from the frontend

the best... :laugh:

watergbaby_gurl
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by watergbaby_gurl » Fri Jun 13, 2008 10:34 pm

I tried turning off my anti-virus since i dont have a firewall, still same thing happened when i paste or type something on the Edit for content its as if its allowing I press save (no error reply) then when u check - the page is empty.

I noticed though as i press the cursur enter to move down for space it goes does but its like the 1st line were i cant from is blinking. Like its not really moving down - but visually it is. So there must be something there that when i press save its like i never entered anything at all.

Also when i press cancel same thing happens content gets wiped out. I dont open other pages anymore for fear of them disappearing. And i badly need to edit.

Where did u set allow to save in the front end?

onlygol
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by onlygol » Mon Jun 16, 2008 8:09 am

I have the same problem, please help! :(

calvaryh
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by calvaryh » Thu Aug 07, 2008 3:02 pm

This is happening with me in 1.5.5

Using: Mac; Safari 3, FireFox 3
Using: Windoze; IE 7

Same error, cannot use editor on Front End because cannot get response from Save or Cancel buttons

user deleted

Post by user deleted » Fri Aug 08, 2008 8:25 am

calvaryh wrote:This is happening with me in 1.5.5

Same error, cannot use editor on Front End because cannot get response from Save or Cancel buttons
You might want to post that in the correct 1.5 support forums ;)

calvaryh
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by calvaryh » Fri Aug 08, 2008 1:41 pm

RobInk wrote:
calvaryh wrote:This is happening with me in 1.5.5

You might want to post that in the correct 1.5 support forums ;)
Yea, I did in the upgrade forum, no one answering. Just flailing in panic. We tend to break rules when we do that, but I will try not to in the future.

simply_jap
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by simply_jap » Sat Aug 30, 2008 5:29 pm

up to this topic!

I'm having the same problem. I used my own template but the save, apply and cancel button doesn't work, but if I used a default template like madeyourweb and rhuk_solarflare_ii the 3 button works fine.

simply_jap
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by simply_jap » Sat Aug 30, 2008 5:51 pm

I figure out my problem.

I try to copy the upper tag/code from madeyourweb template (one of the default template of joomla version 1.0.13)

This is the upper code of my own template

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd">
<html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml">
<head>
<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1" />
<title>Title Here</title>
<link href="<?php echo $GLOBALS[mosConfig_live_site]; ?>/templates/<?php echo $GLOBALS[cur_template]; ?>/css/style.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" />

And I replace this code from the upper code of madeyourweb template. Well I don't know what is the use or the meaning of that code since I'm not a programmer but I think it is important code if you build your own template.

Here is the code:
<?php defined( '_VALID_MOS' ) or die( 'Direct Access to this location is not allowed.' ); ?>
<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd">
<?php $iso = split( '=', _ISO );
echo '<?xml version="1.0" encoding="'. $iso[1] .'"?' .'>';
?>
<head>
<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; <?php echo _ISO; ?>" />
<?php mosShowHead(); ?>
<?php
if ( $my->id ) {
initEditor();
}

if ((mosCountModules( 'user1' )) && (mosCountModules( 'user2' ))) {
//if both modules are loaded, we need a 50%-layout for them
$usera = 'user1';
$userb = 'user2';
} else if ((mosCountModules( 'user1' )) || (mosCountModules( 'user2' ))) {
// if only one, then 100% no matter which one.
$usera = 'user3';
$userb = 'user3';
}
?>

If there is someone who can explain the function of this or shorten this code kindly pls let me know so that I will update my code.

Thanks!

mic
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by mic » Sat Aug 30, 2008 9:08 pm

Well in a few words: the second piece of code generates some 'dynamic' code - like the iso.code which is important for proper displaying your content (see ISO or UTF).

Next lines are calling a routine for the editor (initEditor();) if (!) a user is logged in (which makes sence, because if the user is not logged in, he does not need any editor.
Hence some plugin designers are forgetting this function and calling functions for the editor as the user is not logged in (and the editor os not loaded!): this produces errors at some extensions!

Last piece of code (mosmodules ...) count how many modules are to show and define the width (columns) of the template layout.

Thats it.
http://www.joomx.com - custom extensions and development
http://www.joomlasupportdesk.com - support, migration, training and consulting
Member of the German Joomla Translation Team

simply_jap
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by simply_jap » Wed Sep 03, 2008 9:45 pm

Thanks mic. I solve my problem by including important code before the title tag. As I read tutorials code below is important or basic steps when creating own template in joomla.

<?php defined( '_VALID_MOS' ) or die( 'Direct Access to this location is not allowed.' ); ?>
<?php $iso = split( '=', _ISO ); echo '<?xml version="1.0" encoding="'. $iso[1] .'"?' .'>'; ?>
<head>
<?php mosShowHead(); ?>
<?php if ( $my->id ) { initEditor(); } ?>

<title> title goes here </title>

mic
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by mic » Thu Sep 04, 2008 6:02 am

Glad that it works now.

Just one note: set the xml.tag always as the first output for the screen:

<?php defined( '_VALID_MOS' ) or die( 'Direct Access to this location is not allowed.' );
$iso = split( '=', _ISO );
echo '<?xml version="1.0" encoding="'. $iso[1] .'"?' .'>'; ?>
Optional as next can be:

<html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml" xml:lang="<?php echo _LANGUAGE; ?>" lang="<?php echo _LANGUAGE; ?>" dir="<?php echo _LANG_DIR; ?>">
Be shure that the language vars '_LANGUAGE' and '_LANG_DIR' are existing in your language file.

And a final link which explains why scripts should not be written with short_tags: http://docs.php.net/manual/en/language.basic-syntax.php
http://www.joomx.com - custom extensions and development
http://www.joomlasupportdesk.com - support, migration, training and consulting
Member of the German Joomla Translation Team

simply_jap
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by simply_jap » Sat Sep 06, 2008 9:55 pm

Thanks mic it works well :D

Return to “Joomla! 1.0.x_Q&T”