Submenu items not showing

This forum is for reporting bugs in Joomla!. Please don't report problems with extensions in here.
global3747
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Re: Submenu items not showing

Post by global3747 » Sat Dec 19, 2009 9:27 pm

Please help, I've read and tried all these options but obviously I a missing something as none are working for me.

Joomla 1.5.15
sh404SEF 1.5.4.302
Template YouFauna

When the sh404SEF is switched 'off' the submenus work fine, but when 'on' they do not appear when clicked for the the home page, they are however' automatically expanded at article level. Very confusing

Xeonxz
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by Xeonxz » Mon Dec 21, 2009 11:55 pm

Hi,

I have also the same problem under 2 sites with Splitmenu. Second menulevel disappears when I activate SEO-URL in Joomla. (I have used MassContent Component)

Any solutions??

Mysql: 5.0.84-community-nt
PHP-version: 5.2.6-1+lenny4
Webbserver: Apache/2.2.9 (Debian) mod_ssl/2.2.9 OpenSSL/0.9.8g
Joomla! version: Joomla! 1.5.15

Update:
I have now also tried the core mod-mainmenu in Joomla and it is the same issue if i click on this menu. (no submenu appears)
Seems to be a Joomla Core SEO-URL problem??
Best Regards
Viktor
3on Webbyrå Stockholm http://www.3on.se
Flighton AB http://www.flighton.se

dtarver
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by dtarver » Tue Dec 29, 2009 4:48 am

Do you have SEF on? Turn it off.
Do you have Caching under Global Config System on? Turn it off.

These fixed the problem for me. :-)

Hope that helps you too.
~Dora
Free Project Management Templates & Successful Project Management Resources
http://www.e-ProjectManagers.com Ready To Help You!

Xeonxz
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by Xeonxz » Tue Dec 29, 2009 3:17 pm

dtarver wrote:Do you have SEF on? Turn it off.
Do you have Caching under Global Config System on? Turn it off.

These fixed the problem for me. :-)

Hope that helps you too.
~Dora

Yes but this does not solve the problem because I need to have SEF on.
Best Regards
Viktor

dtarver
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by dtarver » Tue Dec 29, 2009 5:40 pm

Well good luck 8)
Free Project Management Templates & Successful Project Management Resources
http://www.e-ProjectManagers.com Ready To Help You!

Xeonxz
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by Xeonxz » Wed Dec 30, 2009 12:29 am

dtarver wrote:Well good luck 8)
Thx =)
Best Regards
Viktor

ap91
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by ap91 » Thu Jan 14, 2010 5:33 pm

When I first created the site and menu, all the submenus were working fine. (I had SEF ON).
Suddenly the submenu stopped working, tried varying loads of the parameters but it didn't help.
Then I deleted the menu items which had sub parts and created them again. They worked perfectly however.... it's when I went changing the "Order" that the problem arose again.

The new items were added to the bottom (worked fine) then I used the green arrows to move it upwards (still ok), but when I then pressed the save button (at the top of the order column) to save a new order it was from then on the sub menus didn't display.

Playing around with the order... when I assign a number greater than then number of menu items (i.e. to put it at the bottom e.g give it number 8 when there are only 7 menu items) and press save, the sub-menu starts working again, but if I try to assign it for example as number 2 and press save the sub menus stop working again.

If I turn SEF OFF - sub menus work fine (irrelevant of menu order) etc. But it'd be great if there was a way to have SEF on and the sub menus to work. Any ideas?

I'm Using:
PHP Version: 5.2.10
Joomla! Version: Joomla! 1.5.15
Caching is OFF
Menu Style: List

markstevensonnz
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by markstevensonnz » Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:11 pm

I was having the same problem when turning SEF on.

I decided to use CSS:

My menu is in a div called 'left'

This CSS hides the submenu for non-active parent items.

#left li.active li {
display:block;
}

#left li li {
display:none;
}

I hope this helps.

Tolk

Post by Tolk » Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:14 am

Essentee wrote: Try this (it was what fixed it for me): In Global configuration, under Cache Settings, make sure that Cache is set to 'No'.
I had the same problem that sub menus were not displaying after I played with SEF urls. Since I could not create new aliases by hand (too many) I turned SEF off for now.

My solution:
Instead of turning the cache off for the entire site, I turned off the cache for the menu items only (module manager > main menu > advanced parameters > no caching.

It worked for me.

Tolk

thekos
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by thekos » Mon Apr 05, 2010 8:21 am

Tolk wrote:
Essentee wrote: Try this (it was what fixed it for me): In Global configuration, under Cache Settings, make sure that Cache is set to 'No'.
I had the same problem that sub menus were not displaying after I played with SEF urls. Since I could not create new aliases by hand (too many) I turned SEF off for now.

My solution:
Instead of turning the cache off for the entire site, I turned off the cache for the menu items only (module manager > main menu > advanced parameters > no caching.

Tolk
Also had the same problem after turning the cache on for the entire site. Thanx to Tolk, this solution worked for me too:

1. In Global configuration, under Cache Settings, Cache is set to 'Yes'.
2. I turned off the cache for the menu items with submenu only (module manager > main menu > advanced parameters > no caching. >>> for my menu "America's Army - The Game" > Misije / Mape
3. Tools > Clean Cache
4. Tools > Purge Expired Cache

robolasse
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by robolasse » Wed Jun 09, 2010 1:14 pm

Ok, i am probably just missing the obvious, but i still have trouble to get my sub menu items to show when i click on the main menu item. I have 2 main menu items, and 1 sub menu item under the first main menu item, but when i click on the main menu item, the sub menu item won't appear. What am i doing wrong?

Global Configuration
Joomla version: 1.5.18
PHP version: 5.2.13
Cache Stettings (No/YES): No
SEF URLs (No/YES): No

Menu Module
Menu Style (List, Legacy-h, Legacy-v, Legacy-flat): List
Start Level: 0
End Level: 1
Always show sub-menu Items (No/Yes): No
Caching (Use Global, No Cache): No Cache
Expand Menu (No/Yes): Yes

It's a fresh install and there are no extra plugins or modules installed.

robolasse
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by robolasse » Thu Jun 10, 2010 9:53 am

Ok, i applied the Suckerfish menu and that seems to work (with hovering instead of clicking). Good enough for me + i get to style the menu. :-)

naveenatjoomla
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by naveenatjoomla » Sun Aug 08, 2010 7:05 pm

Hello PI!

I am new to Joomla and recently had this sub-menu not showing problem. but got it solved with your way.

Thanks a ton, Man!

speedydog
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by speedydog » Mon Nov 01, 2010 2:23 pm

Maybe that helps ...

in the module parmeters you find the option "Always show sub-menu Items".
The menues should be displayed when this option is set ot "yes".

hope this helps you.

Riverside
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by Riverside » Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:06 pm

djohnson1215 wrote:Hello HarryMatter,

I struggled with the same issue for a while. I am running J1.5.13 with "Menu Style" set to Legacy-Vertical. Also, "Always show sub-menu Items" is set to YES. But sub items did not show on the front end.

I tried several tests and found that if I set "Menu Style" to List and "Always show sub-menu Items" to YES, the front end performed as expected. I did see sub items all the time without having to expand the top level item.

But when I set "Menu Style" to Legacy-Vertical, the menu did not show sub items all the time.

While conducting my tests, I found that if I set "Other Parameters" / "Expand Menu" to YES while the "Menu Style" was set to Legacy-Vertical, the sub items expanded.

Here is what I think may be happening.

If you set "Menu Style" to List, AND "Always show sub-menu Items" to YES, all sub menu items expand.

If you set "Menu Style" set to Legacy-Vertical (probably Legacy - Horizontal and Legacy - Flat List too), AND "Always show sub-menu Items" to YES, all sub menu items DO NOT expand until you also select "Other Parameters" / "Expand Menu" to YES.

It looks like the Legacy "Menu Style" selections work with the "Other Parameters" / "Expand Menu" switch.

Hope that helps.

:-)
dgj

PERFECT! Nothing else worked for me, but THIS did!

I am also running legacy due to one addon. I am also using a 1.5 compatible template. I suspect it is this particular combination that this fix works for.

Thank you VERY much! :D
Don't let the number of stars fool ya! I spend most of my time in the "real world" working with and troubleshooting Joomla and the many extensions for it.

jedlarosa
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by jedlarosa » Sat Dec 04, 2010 8:24 am

im still having problems about this cursed sub menu item, i have done all the procedures that have stated above, but still, no luck! OMG!
Web Developer

Peter Betak
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Peter Betak » Wed Dec 22, 2010 6:55 am

Hello,

I had the same problem - submenu items did not show (after I copied some menu items to another menu)
but I solved it - problem was with SH404SEF component
This worked for me:
go to SH404SEF com admin menu
url manager
delete SEF urls related to your problem menu part
clean cache
reload page and you should see your submenu items

hairydalek
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by hairydalek » Wed Dec 22, 2010 10:29 am

Having a similar problem - submenu items not displaying. I don’t know enough about Joomla to know exactly what is going on - the problem has not been constant.

Assume this menu structure:

Events
Upcoming Events
Past Events

Clicking on the Events link would cause Upcoming Events and Past Events not to display. They used to.

The problem appears to be with either the alias for the Events menu item OR with the position of the Events item on the menu list. I deleted Events (after moving the children out), created a new Events item and moved the children back in. It was at the bottom of the menu, and it worked fine. When I moved it to its intended position in the menu structure, it started to fail again.

I solved the problem by changing the alias to something else. Caching has been off, and I flushed caches just to be sure. The changed alias could be a problem with those who bookmarked pages, so ideally I’d like to change it back to what it was.

I don’t have the SEF module installed which has been mentioned as a problem, and I can’t find any alias menu conflicts, so I’m not sure what the cause of the problem is or indeed a fix which would let retain the previous aliases.

Per Yngve Berg
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by Per Yngve Berg » Wed Dec 22, 2010 7:44 pm

Aliases is not used if SEF urls is not enabled.

Is the menu module set to type "List"?

hairydalek
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by hairydalek » Wed Dec 22, 2010 11:48 pm

SEF - just registered that it’s Search Engine Friendly - yes, I have that on. Menu type is set to List.

Per Yngve Berg
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by Per Yngve Berg » Fri Dec 24, 2010 9:55 am

Have you tried to turn SEF off?

hairydalek
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by hairydalek » Mon Feb 21, 2011 10:44 am

I need SEF to be on. If I switch it off, I’ll get ugly URLs, as well as all the bookmarks will break. It’s not an option for me.

mcsmom
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Post by mcsmom » Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:21 am

People are not telling you to turn it off permanently they are trying to diagnose your problem. Just like your doctor asking you to take off your shirt doesn't mean he thinks you should always walk around without a shirt on.
So we must fix our vision not merely on the negative expulsion of war, but upon the positive affirmation of peace. MLK 1964.
http://officialjoomlabook.com Get it at http://www.joomla.org/joomla-press-official-books.html Buy a book, support Joomla!.

hairydalek
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by hairydalek » Tue Feb 22, 2011 12:19 pm

mcsmom wrote:People are not telling you to turn it off permanently they are trying to diagnose your problem. Just like your doctor asking you to take off your shirt doesn't mean he thinks you should always walk around without a shirt on.
I don’t want that to be the permanent solution though. I did, actually, find a solution which worked for me last night.

There are clues in this thread to do with duplicate aliases being the cause. I checked all the menus to see if there were any - and there weren’t.

So I looked in the database to see if there are any clue there. In the _menu table is a list of all the menus, menu items and, crucially, their aliases. Doing a sort on the aliases showed that there were indeed duplicates. There is a table - “mainmenu” (which is the current one) and another table “Main Menu Home” which does not exist in the menu list for the site. It’s not in the Trash for menus either. It appears to be something that had hung over from an experiment which had been deleted from the site, but had not been properly deleted from the database. This menu contains duplicate aliases. When I edited the database to change those aliases, the menus started behaving properly.

So menus work as expected now. I added the information about this menu into the table _menu_types (it was not in the list, so it was not being “seen” by the back end), and used the Joomla back end to delete them again. This time it’s been expunged from the database, so hopefully that’s the end of it.

And, yes, backups were take prior to this operation!

In summary, the menu entry in the _menu_types table had been removed. However, the associated menu items in the _menu table had not. As these were alias types, some of which duplicated the menu being used on the site, they were causing a conflict.

Hope this information is useful to others. It had not occurred to me until last night that there may be residual stuff in the database which could be the cause.

LTCreations01
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by LTCreations01 » Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:17 pm

hairydalek - YOU ABSOLUTELY ROCK!
Your solution to investigate the database was RIGHT ON! I failed, along with all the others in this post to consider that scenario.

I went into the database, found my 2 menus with the same alias, renamed one of them and voila! The menu was back working 100%. Go to the parent item and see all of the children. Prior, one had to navigate to a child page in order for the children to appear under the parent.

For all of us, Thank You!
By the way..I registered for the forum JUST to thank you!

hairydalek
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by hairydalek » Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:46 am

LTCreations01 : Glad I helped. :-)

hamburg113
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by hamburg113 » Mon Apr 25, 2011 7:18 am

Hi,

Thanks very much for this comment. It help me to think about my ideals.

Tks again and pls keep posting.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

nickandyhead
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by nickandyhead » Fri Apr 29, 2011 10:44 am

Hello all,

I've just added a new submenu item to my Resources Menu. The Main Menu also has submenu items. Those work fine seemingly. The new submenu item in my resources menu (should) appear when you click on the Resources Menu item leading to the same article as one of the other submenu items in the Main Menu; I include this information because I read a bit of this topic first and I thought it might be helpful. For some reason, the new submenu item is not showing up. It did show up after I switched to legacy verticle, but I'm afraid this setting is not up to my standards :P!

Could someone help me?

mcsmom
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Post by mcsmom » Fri Apr 29, 2011 11:00 am

Resources that is set up just as is in sample data?
So we must fix our vision not merely on the negative expulsion of war, but upon the positive affirmation of peace. MLK 1964.
http://officialjoomlabook.com Get it at http://www.joomla.org/joomla-press-official-books.html Buy a book, support Joomla!.

nickandyhead
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by nickandyhead » Fri Apr 29, 2011 11:39 am

The same menu title, mcsmom. I have modified the Menu Assignment to show in "All." I do not think I've made any other changes. I can provide a screen shot if necessary.

Return to “Joomla! 1.5 Bug Reporting”