Submenu items not showing

This forum is for reporting bugs in Joomla!. Please don't report problems with extensions in here.
airton
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Submenu items not showing

Post by airton » Fri Dec 28, 2007 10:27 pm

I've been trying for a long time now to work this out, but I simply couldn't get to the source of it. A bug, maybe?

Well, I created an item in mainmenu which displays a section blog. Then I created several other items (category blog) having the first one as parent menu. The problem is that most times the submenu items wont show regardless of setting the menu to always show child items or not. The way I understand it, if the menu always show child is off then when I click on the parent menu all the submenus should appear. It simply doesn't happen like that. I'm using JA_Purity template but it doesn't seem to be a template issue, because it hapens also with Beez and Rhuk_milkyway. I tried it both with IE 6 and IE 7 and it behaves the same. Right now I don't have means to test it with other browsers.
In the horizontal menu it works fine.

I first thought it could be an issue with RC3, than I upgraded (yesterday) to RC4 and voila! It's the same.

I couldn't find any other post with the same issue as this, so I 'd be glad if anyone could help me here!

If you want to see it for yourseves, go to http://www.olharprofetico.wiki.br/gmf/ and look under the "Selah" item, both in mainmenu and topmenu.

Thanks a lot, guys! ;)

30/12/07 - Since my site is in production right now, I decided do leave the menus expanded for a bether experience by my visitors, so it won't be possible to see the problem anymore.

Happy New Year everybody!
Last edited by airton on Sun Dec 30, 2007 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Airton Torres
Joomla Bug Squad http://groups.google.com/group/joomlabugsquad
Community website - http://community.joomla.org
Unsolicited support PMs will be deleted and the user added to the foes list.

bshouvik
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Re: Submenu items not showing

Post by bshouvik » Sun Dec 30, 2007 3:53 pm

I am too struggling with a similar problem now. In my case its even more weired. For some of the menu items the sub-menus are showing when clicked on the parent. But for few other menu items it is not showing the sub-menus. When I 'expand' all menus then all the menus and sub-menus show up.

I will let you know moment I can resolve this.

In the meantime, appreciate if anyone can give some solution on this.

Thanks in advance.
Shouvik

bshouvik
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by bshouvik » Sun Dec 30, 2007 5:13 pm

Are you using any SEF? That may be the issue with SEF urls pointing to incorrect urls.

airton
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by airton » Sun Dec 30, 2007 5:34 pm

No, no SEF in my case!

Thanks anyway!
Airton Torres
Joomla Bug Squad http://groups.google.com/group/joomlabugsquad
Community website - http://community.joomla.org
Unsolicited support PMs will be deleted and the user added to the foes list.

gchr
I've been banned!

Post by gchr » Wed Jan 02, 2008 1:43 am

I had the same problem and setting CACHE to NO , solved it (I think)

Please, try it yourself.
If it's confirmed, then this could be a bug....:-(

alannascott
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by alannascott » Fri Feb 15, 2008 7:11 pm

hi,

i am having a similar problem, using the flat list menu setting, when i click on a parent item, the sub-menu items don't show up. my menu is made up of all content items. i have the cache set to no, and still no luck.

i have joomla 1.0.14 installed.

any suggestions would be appreciated!

thanks,
alanna

desius
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by desius » Mon Feb 18, 2008 7:31 am

I too have the exact same problem. I'm using a flat list and I get no sub menu items, not even in the html (I've also tried every menu styles).

If I get some time, maybe I'll try to investigate this in the menu module code.... I hope someone can come up with an answer as to why we're all having this issue. That certainly makes me think it's a bug... has anyone looked through to see if someone reported this as a bug?

Using Joomla 1.0.14
There's no place like 127.0.0.1

desius
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by desius » Mon Feb 18, 2008 9:38 pm

weird.... as far as I can tell..... the default menu module that comes packaged with joomla doesn't output submenus..................... I mean I could be wrong, but the for loop that echos the html for the menu doesn't include any children.... wtf??? Does this module really feature the ability to display submenu items???? I'm starting to wonder. Now I'm freakin confused..... i really hope someone can clear this up soon.
There's no place like 127.0.0.1

alannascott
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by alannascott » Tue Feb 19, 2008 8:16 pm

not sure if the submenus not showing is a bug or not, but i have started using the extended menu module (http://extensions.joomla.org/component/ ... Itemid,35/) and it works the way i would think the standard menu module should work, submenus included.

anand80sur
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by anand80sur » Wed Jul 02, 2008 4:52 pm

Hi,
I have the same problem, i can't see my submenu's except that i have this problem only in ie6 when i'm using sef.
It works fine in ie7 and FF except for ie6, i think that's because the url changes that's why the submenu doesn't shows up in ie6 when i turn off sef it works fine and when turned on it works only in the homepage the moment i navigate te page, my submenu doesn't work.
Does anyone have a clue what it could be.

muximus
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by muximus » Fri Aug 01, 2008 8:12 am

I managed to some this, but its kind of an ant and sledge hammer situation.

Go to: Joomla Instalation/modules/mod_mainmenu

Open up legacy.php in your favorite text editor, i like programmers note pad its awesome.

find this function:

function mosRecurseVIMenu($id, $level, & $children, & $open, & $indents, & $params)
{
if (@ $children[$id]) {
$n = min($level, count($indents) - 1);

echo "\n" . $indents[$n][0];
foreach ($children[$id] as $row) {

echo "\n" . $indents[$n][1];

echo mosGetMenuLink($row, $level, $params, $open);

// show menu with menu expanded - submenus visible
if (!$params->get('expand_menu')) {

//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
//////Made Canges Here To make menu always show sub menu items/////
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
if (in_array($row->id, $open))
{
mosRecurseVIMenu($row->id, $level +1, $children, $open, $indents, $params);
}
} else {
mosRecurseVIMenu($row->id, $level +1, $children, $open, $indents, $params);
}
echo $indents[$n][2];
}
echo "\n" . $indents[$n][3];
}
}

Change the line in red above to this: if(true)

Save and close voila!! Houston we have sub menus.
Hope this helps. later. ;D

dsided
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by dsided » Sat Aug 23, 2008 3:27 pm

However, this then opens all submenu, regardless of where you are on the site. Usually sub menus appear when you've clicked onto that section. Making that hack makes the menu look like a sitemap.

PI
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by PI » Sat Aug 23, 2008 8:54 pm

I got the same issue without being able to say after which change it appears.

I found a work around working on my site: go in the "Module Manager", choose the Menu module (the one which uses mod_mainmenu), in the Parameters, expand the Advanced Parameters, and for the option "Caching", set "No caching" instead of "Use Global". Save your change. To avoid any problem, empt your cache (Tools | Clean cache).

Hoping it helps,

PI

ircmaxell
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by ircmaxell » Mon Aug 25, 2008 12:16 am

I assure you it's working fine... Infact, there's an example on the Joomla site!!!

http://developer.joomla.org/security.html

The "Security Center Menu" below the main menu is nothing more than a sub menu...
Anthony Ferrara - Core Team - Development Coordinator - Bug Squad - JSST

http://moovum.com/ - The Bird is in the air! Get Mollom Anti-Spam on your Joomla! website with Moovur...
http://www.joomlaperformance.com For All Your Joomla Performance Needs

jeffmartin
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by jeffmartin » Fri Sep 05, 2008 8:02 pm

I want to create submenus on my Top Menu, but when I do they always display as regular menu items on the Top Menu. I want them to drop down when I hover over a menu item at the 1st level, but instead they are already displayed as menu items at the 1st level. Yes, when I created the submenu item I did chose a Top Level menu item as the parent. Does the Top Level item need to be a certain type to receive sub menu items? Do some of the default global settings need to be changed so that submenu items work. I've been trying this feature on the default Joomla 1.5 templates and other free templates I found and it does the same thing for all templates.

Jeff

bertmc
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by bertmc » Tue Sep 09, 2008 6:02 am

If I understand you properly, it sounds like you want dropdown capabilities for menus other than the mainmenu. AFAIK, templates that have this capability can apply it to only one menu structure, such as mainmenu or another of your choosing.

mistabasta
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by mistabasta » Wed Sep 10, 2008 8:22 pm

I had exactly the same problem, but found the reason (in my config).

Latest Joomla 1.5.7
Using SEF= YES

The problem was that I used identical alises for the same TOPMENU and MAIN MENU items.
Once I added 'top-' in front of all aliases for the topmenu (hence making them unique) the problem was solved (for me).

Hope this helps others.

Bye!

scarney
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by scarney » Tue Sep 23, 2008 7:42 pm

I have the same problem. I just used the Forum Post Assistant tool to give more data. I am afraid it is going to show my html code generated by the tool in this box:

Problem Description:
For some reason this instance of Joomla is not displaying the sub menus when I click on a parent menu item.

Actions Taken To Resolve:
I have tested a bunch of templates and it is the same problem for all of them. Some of the templates I have used on other sites and they work properly. I would like to know where I may have configured this to disable my sub menus because I did not intend o do this.

Diagnostic Information
Joomla! Version: Joomla! 1.5.7 Production/Stable [ Wovusani ] 9-September-2008 23:00 GMT
configuration.php: Not Writable (Mode: 444 ) | RG_EMULATION: N/A
Architecture/Platform: Linux 2.6.24.3-grsec-sg1 ( i686) | Web Server: Apache/1.3.37 (Unix) mod_auth_passthrough/1.8 mod_log_bytes/1.2 mod_bwlimited/1.4 FrontPage/5.0.2.2635.SR1.2 mod_ssl/2.8.28 OpenSSL/0.9.7a PHP-CGI/0.4mm ( carneycorner.com ) | PHP Version: 5.2.5
PHP Requirements: register_globals: Disabled | magic_quotes_gpc: Enabled | safe_mode: Disabled | MySQL Support: Yes | XML Support: Yes | zlib Support: Yes
mbstring Support (1.5): Yes | iconv Support (1.5): Yes | save.session_path: Writable | Max.Execution Time: 45 seconds | File Uploads: Enabled
MySQL Version: 5.0.51a-community-log ( Localhost via UNIX socket )

Extended Information:
SEF: Enabled (with ReWrite) | FTP Layer: Disabled | htaccess: Implemented
PHP/suExec: User and Web Server accounts are the same. (PHP/suExec probably installed)
PHP Environment: API: cgi | MySQLi: Yes | Max. Memory: 96M | Max. Upload Size: 24M | Max. Post Size: 32M | Max. Input Time: 60 | Zend Version: 2.2.0
Disabled Functions:
MySQL Client: 5.0.45 ( latin1 )
Been using Joomla since it was Mambo. I am still a beginner.

mcsmom
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Post by mcsmom » Mon Sep 29, 2008 9:22 am

Can you please post a screenshot showing all of the settings for your menu module?
So we must fix our vision not merely on the negative expulsion of war, but upon the positive affirmation of peace. MLK 1964.
http://officialjoomlabook.com Get it at http://www.joomla.org/joomla-press-official-books.html Buy a book, support Joomla!.

scarney
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by scarney » Mon Sep 29, 2008 2:09 pm

Thank you for being willing to help with this. I am not able to send this now because I was having other problems with my Joomla installation besides this and decided I was spending way too much time on it so I did the unthinkable and deleted my database and joomla installation and started over. Everything worked perfectly from that point on.

Sorry I do not have the screen shot. However, I had been all over the Menu items settings making various changes and trying to see how they effected things. I determined that I probably had some sort of intermittent bug and it appears others in this thread might also have. A clean install took care of everything. It was time consuming but I didn't want to spend any more time trying to solve the problem with the permissions since the article parameters and the parameters for the menu and also for the individual articles all seemed to be correct.

Thank you, Sean Carney
Been using Joomla since it was Mambo. I am still a beginner.

ak112358
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by ak112358 » Tue Sep 30, 2008 12:02 am

Page aliases, when using SEF (Joomla core SEF), were the cause of this behavior on my site.
(I'm running Joomla 1.5.7)

mistabasta offered the following explanation (which is correct) and solution (which works):
The problem was that I used identical alises for the same TOPMENU and MAIN MENU items.
Once I added 'top-' in front of all aliases for the topmenu (hence making them unique) the problem was solved (for me).
Another solution, which would keep menu behavior consistent and not make additional aliases for pages (additional page aliases are usually undesirable as they counteract search engine rank) is to change the Menu Item Type of duplicate menu items to Alias, and then point them to the already existing menu items in another (typically the main menu) menu.

Example: In my particular situation I have a main_menu that appears on most pages and a home_page_menu that appears only on the home page. Since all of my pages can be accessed through the main_menu, I now make sure that all of the menu items in my home_page_menu are of the Menu Item Type Alias, pointing to existing items in main_menu.

Zagnut103
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by Zagnut103 » Sat Nov 22, 2008 3:20 pm

I can also confirm that the solution mistabasta suggested worked for me. This behavior occurred on my site after I copied some Menu items. This created duplicate aliases and caused the problem.

Perhaps this can be addressed in a future Joomla release: The ability to append something to a menu item alias when copying.

Thanks mistabasta.. you saved me some real headaches. :D

Essentee
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by Essentee » Sun Dec 28, 2008 2:19 am

Hi All

We were experiencing the same problem as described above.

Menu item alias were all different, so fix described would have been no help.

Try this (it was what fixed it for me): In Global configuration, under Cache Settings, make sure that Cache is set to 'No'.

Haven't played around with other settings to see what they do, but this fixed it for me. Hurrah.

:eek:

wassamz
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by wassamz » Wed Apr 29, 2009 9:58 pm

Same problem while running 1.5.10

This solved it for me.
ak112358 wrote:Page aliases, when using SEF (Joomla core SEF), were the cause of this behavior on my site.
(I'm running Joomla 1.5.7)

mistabasta offered the following explanation (which is correct) and solution (which works):
Another solution, which would keep menu behavior consistent and not make additional aliases for pages (additional page aliases are usually undesirable as they counteract search engine rank) is to change the Menu Item Type of duplicate menu items to Alias, and then point them to the already existing menu items in another (typically the main menu) menu.

Example: In my particular situation I have a main_menu that appears on most pages and a home_page_menu that appears only on the home page. Since all of my pages can be accessed through the main_menu, I now make sure that all of the menu items in my home_page_menu are of the Menu Item Type Alias, pointing to existing items in main_menu.

mcsmom
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Post by mcsmom » Thu Apr 30, 2009 12:40 am

If you have two menu links pointing to the same item and want the same alias, you should use an alias link rather than creating a new menu link.
So we must fix our vision not merely on the negative expulsion of war, but upon the positive affirmation of peace. MLK 1964.
http://officialjoomlabook.com Get it at http://www.joomla.org/joomla-press-official-books.html Buy a book, support Joomla!.

youknow
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by youknow » Mon Jun 15, 2009 3:19 am

I fixed this by going to site modules > main menu > module parameters > always show sub menu items

Why that isn't selected by default, I don't know.

HarryMatter
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by HarryMatter » Fri Jul 17, 2009 6:50 pm

youknow wrote:I fixed this by going to site modules > main menu > module parameters > always show sub menu items

Yes, but I found doing this makes submenu items appear permanently (rather than the menu expanding and collapsing as you click on different items in the top menu). Can anybody help?

HarryMatter
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by HarryMatter » Mon Jul 20, 2009 1:38 pm

HarryMatter wrote:
youknow wrote:I fixed this by going to site modules > main menu > module parameters > always show sub menu items

Yes, but I found doing this makes submenu items appear permanently (rather than the menu expanding and collapsing as you click on different items in the top menu). Can anybody help?
I have to use legacy mode because the extension I am using, Ads Manager, requires it. Switching the legacy plugin off just makes the whole site inaccessible (page displays error message = 'Direct Access to this location is not allowed').

Do submenus not work in legacy mode?

djohnson1215
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by djohnson1215 » Wed Jul 29, 2009 4:03 pm

Hello HarryMatter,

I struggled with the same issue for a while. I am running J1.5.13 with "Menu Style" set to Legacy-Vertical. Also, "Always show sub-menu Items" is set to YES. But sub items did not show on the front end.

I tried several tests and found that if I set "Menu Style" to List and "Always show sub-menu Items" to YES, the front end performed as expected. I did see sub items all the time without having to expand the top level item.

But when I set "Menu Style" to Legacy-Vertical, the menu did not show sub items all the time.

While conducting my tests, I found that if I set "Other Parameters" / "Expand Menu" to YES while the "Menu Style" was set to Legacy-Vertical, the sub items expanded.

Here is what I think may be happening.

If you set "Menu Style" to List, AND "Always show sub-menu Items" to YES, all sub menu items expand.

If you set "Menu Style" set to Legacy-Vertical (probably Legacy - Horizontal and Legacy - Flat List too), AND "Always show sub-menu Items" to YES, all sub menu items DO NOT expand until you also select "Other Parameters" / "Expand Menu" to YES.

It looks like the Legacy "Menu Style" selections work with the "Other Parameters" / "Expand Menu" switch.

Hope that helps.

:-)
dgj
D. Johnson
Technology is our advantage;
performance our passion

http://www.positionresearch.com

Per Yngve Berg
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by Per Yngve Berg » Wed Jul 29, 2009 7:01 pm

You have to set menu style to "List". None of the legacy menues support submenues.

Extensions->Module manager->mod_mainmenu->Module parameters->Menu Style=List

Return to “Joomla! 1.5 Bug Reporting”