SEF article with images in 1.5.1

This forum is for reporting bugs in Joomla!. Please don't report problems with extensions in here.
Forum rules
Forum Rules
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
padavis
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Re: SEF article with images in 1.5.1

Post by padavis » Thu May 01, 2008 3:15 pm

I'm having the same problem with 1.5.3.

I have tried the sql file suggested earlier but no luck.

I installed sh404SEF (in legacy mode) and that seems to mask the underlying problem. However I have to turn of SEF generation for the Phoca Gallery and Contact components if I wish the images in the template index.php (i.e. 2 logos) to be displayed.

Is anyone else still having problems?

esox
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by esox » Thu May 01, 2008 3:49 pm

Hi

Couple of quick questions, based on the resolve detailed above for my problem.
(1) Are you upgrading from an earlier RC version of J1.5, if so which?
(2) Have you loaded an old database from an earlier version, if so what version?

David

padavis
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by padavis » Thu May 01, 2008 4:01 pm

Hi David

1) I started on 1.5.0 and then upgraded to 1.5.2 then to 1.5.3
2) I haven't done anything to the database.

Hope that can help! :'(

Paul

esox
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by esox » Thu May 01, 2008 4:52 pm

Hi Paul

So if I understand correctly the database is intact from the the original install and development. I would assume that you mean J1.5.0 Stable and not a pre RC package (RC2,3 or 4)

Are you able to load a clean install of 1.5.3 on your server, into a new clean database and test with the Beez template to see if everything works, then load your database from the other troubled version and see if the problem occurs, this is how I tested and settled on the database. If the problem returns, then might I suggest that you apply the sql updates you will find in the package 'installation/sql/mysql' folder, to this test installation to see if it resolves the problem.

diff_rc1_to_rc2.sql
diff_rc2_to_rc3.sql I applied these two only
diff_rc3_to_rc4.sql
diff.sql----this has no content

If it works out OK then you can apply it to the working site database.

If you have to do it on the main installation make sure you have a backup ready to replace the database if its is damaged, I would try it on a non production temporary site first though, it saves any grief.

David

padavis
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by padavis » Fri May 02, 2008 1:46 pm

Hi David,

Which release are you getting the sql files from?

the diff_rc2_to_rc3.sql in 1.5.2 to 1.5.3. contains:

Code: Select all

# $Id: diff_rc2_to_rc3.sql 9728 2007-12-22 10:26:36Z eddieajau $

# RC 2 to RC 3

# NO CHANGES

esox
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by esox » Fri May 02, 2008 2:21 pm

Hi Paul

That is the same 1n my new version of 1.5.3. so 'diff_rc3_to_rc4.sql' is the obviously the one that did the work on my database (from RC2 to 1.5.1 at the time) as the other file is also empty, not sure why they exist, but undoubtedly there is a reason. If you have a back up try applying this file and see what the outcome is.

Have you tried a new install and database for function and then tested by loading your current sites database?

David

padavis
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by padavis » Fri May 02, 2008 2:58 pm

Hi David,

I didn't install a fresh 1.5.3. but my ISP has a 1.5 install script which I then patched to 1.5.3.

The problem is the images whose paths are being re-written are in the template index.php file (logo etc) so when I use Beez for example I can't tell if it's working or not.

I ran "diff_rc3_to_rc4.sql" and got this error:

Error

SQL query:

-- 26-Oct-2007 --
-- Database index optimizations
ALTER TABLE `jos_categories` DROP INDEX `idx_section` ;

MySQL said: Documentation
#1091 - Can't DROP 'idx_section'; check that column/key exists 
I haven't a clue what that means! :-[

esox
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by esox » Fri May 02, 2008 3:41 pm

Hi Paul

If my memory serves me correctly I have a feeling this was reported on my sql install, its just telling you that this particular operation was not completed as it didn't exist, the other updates have probably been completed. I would now test the site with the sef settings added one by one and see what happens. I only use the first two settings in the control panel .

I assume you have implemented the htaccess file to suit. The big piece I added to help Martin details what I did. It might help to read through that again and see whether the problems we were experiencing are what you are getting and try each of the options.

The final options are that you have an old component that is not compatible or needs the legacy mode turned on?

David

MattyG
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by MattyG » Sat Jun 14, 2008 2:42 pm

I had the same problem with a Fresh 1.5.2 install and also with a fresh 1.5.1 install.

Here is the solution. Run the following SQL statement on your database in PHPmyAdmin:

UPDATE `jos_plugins` SET `name` = 'System - SEF', `folder` = 'system', `ordering` = 1 WHERE element LIKE 'sef';

ircmaxell
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by ircmaxell » Sat Jun 14, 2008 6:05 pm

MattyG wrote:I had the same problem with a Fresh 1.5.2 install and also with a fresh 1.5.1 install.

Here is the solution. Run the following SQL statement on your database in PHPmyAdmin:

UPDATE `jos_plugins` SET `name` = 'System - SEF', `folder` = 'system', `ordering` = 1 WHERE element LIKE 'sef';
That's not needed for any fresh install newer than RC4. It was fixed in RC4, so... Now, if you had the problem with 1.5.2 or 1.5.1, how did you install it?
Anthony Ferrara - Core Team - Development Coordinator - Bug Squad - JSST

http://moovum.com/ - The Bird is in the air! Get Mollom Anti-Spam on your Joomla! website with Moovur...
http://www.joomlaperformance.com For All Your Joomla Performance Needs

sykong
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by sykong » Wed Jun 18, 2008 1:04 pm

I'm having the same problem with my images in 1.5.3. What I've discovered is that sometimes, the leading / is added, sometimes, it isn't.

An earlier post on this thread mentioned that deactivating the system cache plugin brings back the images. This seems to work for me.

MattyG
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by MattyG » Thu Jun 19, 2008 2:59 am

Did you install a template. My problem was that I installed a template and the demo content. The demo content changed some parameters in the pluggin table. All I had to do was to run this SQL statement:

esox
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by esox » Thu Jun 19, 2008 7:18 am

As one of the early contributors to this thread, I have been watching this out of interest and its clear there are various problems that have been affecting those reporting difficulties.

MattyG makes a valid point about 'demo content' as many template creators are now providing this as part of their service, its a great help for getting to grips with a new site design and layout. The down side can be if you get get or have an older version that was generate on a RC version of J1.5 and install this, you will inevitably install the demo.sql, which will immediately overwrite the new database created when your new install of a late version of J1.5 (1.5.3) was made.

You may possibly have downloaded a 'demo content' package some time ago, I'm sure many of us do it, see a new design and think 'I like that' and don't get round to testing it till later, perhaps a couple of months later, sound familiar?

My advice would be 'always get the latest version of the demo content' before installing it. Be sure, first.

Finally I have my doubts about turning off the system cache plug-in, as the right way to resolve this issue, as some have reported, its altering the system to accommodate an error, that cannot be good for the future.

David

sykong
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by sykong » Thu Jun 19, 2008 7:39 am

I did not install any demo content (not even Joomla's). I did import content from my old joomla using mtwmigrator.

I also checked my database. It doesn't seem like the SQL update would make any change (ie name is System - SEF, folder is system and ordering is 1).

It seems more like a problem with the system cache plugin. (I also have cache turned on in my joomla global configuration)

esox
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by esox » Thu Jun 19, 2008 8:21 am

Hi sykong

That's squashed that then.......!

Given that you have used an old database, what version of Joomla did you originally create this in, if it was an earlier version than J1.5 Stable, make a back up of your database and then run the update sql files anyway and see what the result shows, it take a couple of seconds and may save a lot of heartache as several of us in this thread have found.

I would question the cache plug-in error theory, its not affecting any of the sites I have running on J1.5.2 or 5.3 or others who had this problem with SEF turned on?

David

sykong
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by sykong » Fri Jun 20, 2008 10:35 am

diff_rc3_to_rc4.sql

UPDATE `jos_plugins` SET `ordering` = `ordering` + 1 WHERE `folder` LIKE 'system';

My sql database

INSERT INTO jos_plugins (id, name, element, folder, access, ordering, published, iscore, client_id, checked_out, checked_out_time, params) VALUES
(27, 'System - SEF', 'sef', 'system', 0, 1, 1, 0, 0, 0, '0000-00-00 00:00:00', ''),
(28, 'System - Debug', 'debug', 'system', 0, 2, 1, 0, 0, 0, '0000-00-00 00:00:00', 'queries=1\nmemory=1\nlangauge=1\n\n'),
(29, 'System - Legacy', 'legacy', 'system', 0, 3, 0, 1, 0, 0, '0000-00-00 00:00:00', 'route=0\n\n'),
(30, 'System - Cache', 'cache', 'system', 0, 0, 0, 1, 0, 0, '0000-00-00 00:00:00', 'browsercache=1\ncachetime=15\n\n'),
(31, 'System - Log', 'log', 'system', 0, 0, 1, 1, 0, 0, '0000-00-00 00:00:00', ''),
(32, 'System - Remember Me', 'remember', 'system', 0, 6, 1, 1, 0, 0, '0000-00-00 00:00:00', ''),
(33, 'System - Backlink', 'backlink', 'system', 0, 7, 0, 1, 0, 0, '0000-00-00 00:00:00', '');
Looks like my cache and log plugin are ordered '0' when they are not supposed to be. I'm going to order them 4 and 5 (same as clean install) to try.

sykong
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by sykong » Fri Jun 20, 2008 11:09 am

Okay, I've confirm that if the cache plugin is before sef plugin, the problem occurs.

The leading "/" is not added to the image url in the cache. 1st load of the page is fine. Subsequent load is not.

Also, if you click on the plugin name to go to the next page to enable it, the ordering defaults to '0'. I don't know if this is the intended behaviour, but it seems like a bug. If you click on the cross icon under enabled, it is fine.

mcsmom
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Post by mcsmom » Sun Jun 22, 2008 11:45 pm

That might be worth adding to the 1.5 issue tracker at joomlacode so we can see if it is reproducible by others.
So we must fix our vision not merely on the negative expulsion of war, but upon the positive affirmation of peace. MLK 1964.
http://officialjoomlabook.com Get it at http://www.joomla.org/joomla-press-official-books.html Buy a book, support Joomla!.

ircmaxell
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by ircmaxell » Mon Jun 23, 2008 1:18 am

It WILL occur if the cache plugin is before the SEF plugin. That's why it's shipped with the sef plugin first!!!
Anthony Ferrara - Core Team - Development Coordinator - Bug Squad - JSST

http://moovum.com/ - The Bird is in the air! Get Mollom Anti-Spam on your Joomla! website with Moovur...
http://www.joomlaperformance.com For All Your Joomla Performance Needs

mmx
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by mmx » Thu Aug 28, 2008 1:11 pm

Bump...

Has this problem been resolved. In my tests on a new 1.5.6 site, this appears to be a reproducible bug. The cache solution mentioned above does nothing to resolve the issue.

To duplicate my test, create submenu options for main menu and use the Joomla Praise Contest Template so you can visually see the problem. Turn on SEF with or without .htaccess enabled (makes no difference). Use Firefox with Firebug enabled. Click on the top level menu items to see how the template is supposed to work. Then try clicking on the submenu options. When submenu options are selected, the menu item alias is added to the image path causing a 404. The template's banner and background images will no longer appear and Firebug will detect two 404s, one for each image.

If the path to the image is http://domain.com/templates/sometemplate/images/, Joomla 1.5.6 uses a path like
http://domain.com/menu-item-alias/templ ... te/images/ which causes a 404.

I tried using multiple templates while testing this issue and the problem was reproducible in all templates unless SEF was turned off. The problem also occurs with other SEF plugins enabled. The only template where it did not occur was in SocialBug which uses its own dedicated Suckerfish menu and handles its own routing.

Maybe I'm missing something in my configuration, but this does not appear to be the case. If someone would be kind enough to duplicate my test in their own site setup, I would appreciate it and will file a bug report if the problem persists.

Best regards

esox
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by esox » Thu Aug 28, 2008 1:53 pm

Hi mmx

As a follower of this thread having been one to suffer from this during an upgrade from an earlier RC version to 1.5.3 I have continued to seek a satisfactory resolve, one of my searches for a solution led me to an article in the Joomla support pages.

It takes you through the whole set up and it has been a resolution to my similar problem, one where whenever I set just step one of the SEF in Joomla that it broke the site and brought these same 404 errors. Using the htaccess file and its settings resolved this, but I was always troubled by what should be a simple first step never worked, but always caused the site to break.

Setting live_site to "/" certainly resolved my issues and I have quoted a section of the article below, but would suggest taking a look at the link below. live_site is normally set by default to no value ("") and it seems to be the problem. It is something to update as soon as installing Joomla is complete.
If you encounter problems, try modifying the $live_site setting in configuration.php. If Joomla! is installed in the root (ie, inside public_html or htdocs), set $live_site to / or http://www.example.com or http://example.com. If Joomla! is installed in a subdirectory (ie, /joomladir), set $live_site to /joomladir or http://www.example.com/joomladir or http://example.com/joomladir.
Link to the full article:
http://docs.joomla.org/SEF_URLs_in_Joomla%21_1.5

I use this setting in conjunction with the same setting in the htaccess file to get a full set of SEF url's and have not experienced any issues with sites created since. Read it and try the set ups recommended, you have nothing to lose.

Hope this helps you too.

David

sykong
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by sykong » Thu Aug 28, 2008 2:19 pm

Maybe I wasn't clear in my reply.

The solution is to ensure that the sef plugin is the first plugin. This should solve the problem.

mmx
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by mmx » Thu Aug 28, 2008 3:57 pm

sykong wrote:Maybe I wasn't clear in my reply.

The solution is to ensure that the sef plugin is the first plugin. This should solve the problem.
I tried that first after reading this thread. SEF is the first plugin in the group. I found at least a half dozen threads on the web reporting the same problem on various support sites for third party ad-ons (JReview to name one). Most of these threads referred users back to this one. I can turn the problem on and off by disabling SEF.

It's definitely placing the menu item alias in the url for the image and it should never do that ever. Note that this only happens on sublevel menu items. I did some additional testing with third-party menu modules (swmenufree to name one). The problem is reproducible and you can visually see the problem if you repeat the test shown above.

I managed to get it working by building a suckerfish dropdown menu module and assigning it to a hornav position added to the Joomla Praise template. This works fine, but it would be nice to find a solution before building other sites for subdomains.

sykong
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by sykong » Thu Aug 28, 2008 4:28 pm

1. What is the order of your system plugins?

Mine is sef, debug, legacy. cache, log, remember me, backlink

2. Did you clear your cache after setting the sef plugin as the first plugin? Otherwise, the page may be loading from the cache

3. Are you using any other 3rd party extensions? Can you duplicate it on a clean install?

I have a live site and a clean-install demo site using 1.5.6 and they are working fine with sef.

mmx
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by mmx » Fri Aug 29, 2008 3:55 am

I tried your sequence and the problem persists. As I said, SEF works fine for top level menu options, but not sublevel menu options. The only other system plugin is JCE which is at the bottom of the list and appears to be working fine. I tried disabling it to see if it was a factor, but the problem still existed. Caching and the cache plugin are disabled but the problem persist when enabled. My cache is clear (visually checked). Legacy is disabled. Debug is enabled and turned on but I tried turning it off to see if it was a factor.

Earlier, I noticed that sublevel menu images disappeared in Firefox 2.x and the alt text appeared. For IE7, the missing image icon appears along with the alt text.

I will try a new install just to see if it works and report back later.

nicv
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by nicv » Sat Sep 06, 2008 11:16 am

Hi mmx,

I've exactly the same problem as you, where the SUB-SUB-MENU articles image doesn't load properly on 1.5.6, but have no problem on 1.5.4.

The images path which should be www.xxxxxx.com/images/welcome_tea/welcome_tea2008.png become http://www.xxxxxx.org/events/images/welcome_tea/welcome_tea2008.png where the events is the submenu.

Let us know if you manage to find any solution on this.

metanoia
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by metanoia » Sat Jan 10, 2009 5:59 am

I upgraded from 1.5.6 to 1.5.8 yesterday and since then have had several issues with the SEF.

I have now turned this off. It does not work properly at all. The latest problem with the images has resulted in me spending about 3 hours trying to get this fixed. It was only a problem on some pages, therefore it wasn't consistent. It was also as mentioned above an issue where the image path was relative to the SEF url and not the root directory.

I tried all the fixes, from checking the DB and cache plugin to adding the live_site value in my config and editing my htaccess.

Nothing fixed this problem.
If this has been causing issues since 1.5.1 this is a serious problem that needs to be fixed asap.

mcsmom
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Post by mcsmom » Sat Jan 10, 2009 10:05 am

You need to give a lot more information than that in order for people to help you.

1. Which SEF options
2. Use of livesite or not
3. Forum post assistant information.

But frankly, posting in a 1.5.1 thread does not make sense if you are at 1.5.8 (and now you should be at 1.5.9).

I suggest starting a new thread with complete information.
So we must fix our vision not merely on the negative expulsion of war, but upon the positive affirmation of peace. MLK 1964.
http://officialjoomlabook.com Get it at http://www.joomla.org/joomla-press-official-books.html Buy a book, support Joomla!.

metanoia
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by metanoia » Sat Jan 10, 2009 11:26 am

I upgraded yesterday and could only find the latest at 1.5.8
Finding the download from the joomla home page is a feat in itself

mcsmom
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Post by mcsmom » Sat Jan 10, 2009 11:40 am

The download joomla button works pretty well :).

1.5.9 was released a few hours ago and contains two important security fixes so you should go grab the upgrade package ASAP.

Return to “Joomla! 1.5 Bug Reporting”