Bug? Large article creates Error 500 - cannot save

This forum is for reporting bugs in Joomla!. Please don't report problems with extensions in here.
inthedistance
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Bug? Large article creates Error 500 - cannot save

Post by inthedistance » Tue Jul 15, 2008 8:42 pm

Hello,

I've been through all kinds of hurdles trying to get this issue resolved and I'm left thinking that it must be some kind of bug.

I have a long article that I originally created in Joomla 1.5.0 and has been in my database since as I have upgraded to 1.5.4. Since originally publishing the article, I haven't modified it and it has displayed fine, until a few weeks ago when I wanted to make changes. I now find that I cannot save my changes to it -- it gives me a 500 Error. If I delete the content of the article and just save a single word like "test" or even 1/3 of the original article, it saves fine. But the entire original article now cannot be saved. I have to split it into thirds when I add the new links into it. I have also created new content items (in my installation and in other, wholly separate Joomla installs) with this exact content and it breaks them all. This occurs on PC and Mac, Firefox 2 and 3, IE and Safari. It makes no difference if I use TinyMCE or no editor at all.

The article details so far:
92,000 characters, 2400 lines - text with simple div/class markup - no HREFs, no IMGs (yet)
125kb (in Notepad)
Joomla intro and 7 pagebreaks
text formatted correctly through HTML Tidy
Special characters: Euro currency symbol (34 times), emdash symbol (40 times)

Joomla debugging error report:
500 - An error has occurred!

DB function reports no errors

Call stack
# Function Location
1 JAdministrator->dispatch() /home/mysite/public_html/administrator/index.php:67
2 JComponentHelper->renderComponent() /home/mysite/public_html/administrator/includes/application.php:130
3 require_once() /home/mysite/public_html/libraries/joomla/application/component/helper.php:162
4 ContentController->saveContent() /home/mysite/public_html/administrator/components/com_content/admin.content.php:51
5 JError->raiseError() /home/mysite/public_html/administrator/components/com_content/controller.php:689
6 JError->raise() /home/mysite/public_html/libraries/joomla/error/error.php:173
7 JException->__construct() /home/mysite/public_html/libraries/joomla/error/error.php:138
I really need this article to be in one piece instead of broken into 3 separate items. But I cannot yet find a way to get it done.

Is this a bug of some kind?

Thanks for your thoughts.

Matt

Diagnostic Information
Joomla! Version: Joomla! 1.5.4 Production/Stable [ Naiki ] 6-July-2008 22:00 GMT
configuration.php: Not Writable (Mode: 444 ) | RG_EMULATION: N/A
Architecture/Platform: Linux 2.6.18-53.1.14.el5 ( i686) | Web Server: Apache/2.2.8 (Unix) mod_ssl/2.2.8 OpenSSL/0.9.8b mod_auth_passthrough/2.1 mod_bwlimited/1.4 FrontPage/5.0.2.2635 mod_jk/1.2.25 ( inthedistance.net ) | PHP Version: 5.2.5
PHP Requirements: register_globals: Disabled | magic_quotes_gpc: Enabled | safe_mode: Disabled | MySQL Support: Yes | XML Support: Yes | zlib Support: Yes
mbstring Support (1.5): Yes | iconv Support (1.5): Yes | save.session_path: Not Writable[color] | Max.Execution Time: 30 seconds | File Uploads: Enabled
MySQL Version: 4.1.22-standard ( Localhost via UNIX socket )

Extended Information:
SEF: Disabled (without ReWrite) | FTP Layer: Disabled | htaccess: Implemented
PHP/suExec: User and Web Server accounts are not the same. (PHP/suExec probably not installed)
PHP Environment: API: cgi | MySQLi: No | Max. Memory: 32M | Max. Upload Size: 2M | Max. Post Size: 8M | Max. Input Time: 60 | Zend Version: 2.2.0
Disabled Functions: system, exec, shell_exec, passthru, escapeshellcmd, popen, pcntl_exec
MySQL Client: 4.1.22 ( latin1 )
Last edited by inthedistance on Mon Jul 21, 2008 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AyelGoth
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Re: Bug? Large article creates Error 500 - cannot save

Post by AyelGoth » Thu Jul 17, 2008 4:43 am

I have the same problem with small items. No records and sends me an error 500. Also when I try to enter the administration gives me the same mistake and I have to update the page to enter as an administrator.

AmyStephen
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by AmyStephen » Thu Jul 17, 2008 5:56 am

Matt -

One of the developers suspects this is a database issue.

Using phpMyAdmin, look at your jos_content table, specifically at the intro and fulltext field datatypes. These should be mediumtext.

If it is not, backup your database and change those datatypes. According to the developer, a mediumtext datatype can hold up to 16meg - so - even though that is a sizeable document, it should easily fit. If it's already mediumtext, there must be other issues at play.

Good luck,
Amy :)

ircmaxell
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by ircmaxell » Thu Jul 17, 2008 1:08 pm

This is most likely a limitation of the max_packet_size configuration setting in MySQL... By default, it has a 1meg size limit on any query run against it. Meaning, that if your article, plus all the SQL Joomla puts around it, is larger than this configured size, you'll get a no error message (because the server will just reject the query, it's not technically an error). Contact your host, and see if they can give you any more informaiton. At any rate, this is not a Joomla issue, it's a server configuration issue.
Anthony Ferrara - Core Team - Development Coordinator - Bug Squad - JSST

http://moovum.com/ - The Bird is in the air! Get Mollom Anti-Spam on your Joomla! website with Moovur...
http://www.joomlaperformance.com For All Your Joomla Performance Needs

inthedistance
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by inthedistance » Fri Jul 18, 2008 3:38 am

Thanks, AmyStephen and ircmaxell, but it's still giving me the error.

First, I verified that both field datatypes were indeed mediumtext.

Then my provider increased my max_allowed_packet to 16M.

Still getting the error.

What can I do to get Joomla to give me more information about the root of the problem?

Thanks for your help!

matt

inthedistance
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by inthedistance » Mon Jul 21, 2008 4:39 pm

Just a bump in case anybody has other ideas on how to fix this.

I'm going to submit a bug report, as my host is able to replicate the problem and says the issue is with Joomla's handling of large articles.

ircmaxell
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by ircmaxell » Mon Jul 21, 2008 4:48 pm

inthedistance wrote:I'm going to submit a bug report, as my host is able to replicate the problem and says the issue is with Joomla's handling of large articles.
It's failing at the database layer (PHP's database layer that is). How is it a Joomla issue again? If anything, it could be a php configuration problem, or a database config problem, but how is it a Joomla issue (since the mysql extension function it calls is what's failing)???

http://moovum.com/ - The Bird is in the air! Get Mollom Anti-Spam on your Joomla! website with Moovur...

inthedistance
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by inthedistance » Mon Jul 21, 2008 5:12 pm

It's a Joomla issue because Joomla fails for large articles when everything else is working.

What else in the server configuration can be changed to address this? I'll be happy to try it if you have suggestions. I've posted all the info I have as to diagnosing the problem, but will be happy to look for more if you have something to point to. In the absence of that, all I have is Joomla's inability to accept large content.

inthedistance
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by inthedistance » Mon Jul 21, 2008 5:44 pm

IRCMAXELL,

How nice of you to close my Bug tracker submission without any substantive response on what might be wrong. I can speculate that this error is being caused by a unicorn sneezing in an enchanted forest, but in my regular job as a scientist, I look for evidence and details when trying to solve a problem, rather than just blanket statements and walking away.

If anybody else would care to weigh in on what is causing this problem, I'd love to hear any actual help.

ircmaxell
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by ircmaxell » Mon Jul 21, 2008 6:14 pm

inthedistance wrote:IRCMAXELL,

How nice of you to close my Bug tracker submission without any substantive response on what might be wrong. I can speculate that this error is being caused by a unicorn sneezing in an enchanted forest, but in my regular job as a scientist, I look for evidence and details when trying to solve a problem, rather than just blanket statements and walking away.

If anybody else would care to weigh in on what is causing this problem, I'd love to hear any actual help.
I understand MySQL quite well (since I am a certified DBA/DBD (Database Developer))... I also understand php quite well... And I understand, that if the mysql_query function is returning false (the ONLY way that 500 error would be triggered), it CANNOT be a Joomla issue, because Joomla is not failing!!! The failure can only come from one of two places, PHP and MySQL.

MySQL works in a client server fashion. PHP has a built in client (either the mysql or mysqli extensions), and MySQL is the server. Both are dependant on each other. I cannot say without a doubt WHICH one is failing, but I can say without a doubt that one of them IS failing. Both are outside the scope of Joomla, hence it's not a Joomla issue.

You say we havn't investigated this. Well, infact we have. We've tried to test with a 1 meg post (and up)... Each time, we've been able to get errors (by adjusting configuration parameters to be violated), but never a 500 DB error. Which tells me that this must be related to your configuration (what I've been saying all along).

If you don't want to believe it's a server config error, then PLEASE find the bug for us. If you can find something in Joomla that's actually causing this, I will gladly admin I'm wrong and apologise. However, all my experience in debugging, programming, and administrating MySQL tells me that this is not a Joomla core issue. It's not speculation...

AmyStephen
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by AmyStephen » Tue Jul 22, 2008 4:35 am

inthedistance wrote:IRCMAXELL,

Do you think that was necessary? Or, helpful? Or, motivated anyone to roll up their sleeves and dig into your problem?

MySQL will scale for that need. Figuring out how to tune the performance and capabilities of a database environment on a server somewhere that we do not have access to is beyond the purpose and the capabilities of these forums.

You are a scientist. If your host is able to replicate this issue, then, it's time to put your lab coat on. Prove this is a Joomla! issue. Start by trying to take Joomla! out of the picture and insert that very same article into that very same database using another tool. The reasoning skills you learned as a scientist apply here. Create a test that can be reproduced. Document your process.

If you are pressed for time or if this is a very important matter, you can always consider hiring professional services. Sometimes, that is the best option.

Take care.
Amy

brad
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by brad » Tue Jul 22, 2008 4:58 am

Also, take a look at your server log. Error 500 are usually accompanied by more information.
Brad Baker
https://xyzuluhosting.com
https://www.joomlatutorials.com <-- Joomla Help & Tutorials

AmyStephen
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by AmyStephen » Tue Jul 22, 2008 7:34 pm

inthedistance wrote: The article details so far:
92,000 characters, 2400 lines - text with simple div/class markup - no HREFs, no IMGs (yet)
125kb (in Notepad)

I created a file that was five times the size of yours and saved it in Joomla! I started at your file size and kept doubling it until it failed. It failed at double the size in the picture in a way that one might expect:

Code: Select all

Fatal error: Maximum execution time of 30 seconds exceeded in \libraries\joomla\filter\filterinput.php on line 281
That is a very large amount of content to run through a content safety filter in that amount of time. If I were really trying to save that size of file, I am guessing that a PHP setting might need adjusting or I could turn off that filter.

Try this, set aside your own document for a moment. Create a little text file that is half that size and try to save it. Keep increasing it and saving it again. Find out at what point failure happens. Look at your Apache log files to see what the message is.

If you want, you can email me your file and I can try to save it.

Show this information to your Web host and see what they think.

This really is not a Joomla! bug. Please understand, we have to keep the Tracker cleared for real bugs because it's difficult enough to get fixes in that people need without adding to the mix configuration issues. We would simply never advance if the tracker got filled in that manner.

Technology can be frustrating. But, don't assume the worst of people. We are here to help, if we can. That's why we are here. :) Please appreciate the volume of questions and issues that arise. In fact, I would encourage you to join in and give an hour, or so, a week helping other people in the forums to get a better perspective on how much this community does want to improve Joomla! and help all of it's users.

I am sorry for your trouble.
Amy

Spacemaster
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Spacemaster » Wed Aug 06, 2008 11:09 am

I have the same problem, but with max 35k characters with pictures (67k in html) :(
If some one want to help me I will send the html file with test.

P.S
I can save 95% of my text, but this is maximum :(
I contact my server master, and he claiming that is not problem with the server :( what to do :(

tcp
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by tcp » Thu Aug 07, 2008 4:29 pm

Call stack
# Function Location
1 JAdministrator->dispatch() /home/mysite/public_html/administrator/index.php:67
2 JComponentHelper->renderComponent() /home/mysite/public_html/administrator/includes/application.php:130
3 require_once() /home/mysite/public_html/libraries/joomla/application/component/helper.php:162
4 ContentController->saveContent() /home/mysite/public_html/administrator/components/com_content/admin.content.php:51
5 JError->raiseError() /home/mysite/public_html/administrator/components/com_content/controller.php:689
6 JError->raise() /home/mysite/public_html/libraries/joomla/error/error.php:173
7 JException->__construct() /home/mysite/public_html/libraries/joomla/error/error.php:138
[/quote]

Here are lines 688-691 of ContentController ( rev 10621 )

if (!$row->check()) {
			JError::raiseError( 500, $db->stderr() );
			return false;
		}
The only reason why check() would fail is we didn't have a title, fulltext, or introtext, but at this point there are no DB calls. For some reason we don't actually get the JTableContent error.

if (!$row->check()) {
			JError::raiseError( 500, $row->getError() );
			return false;
		}
Would making this change give us any more info ?

tcp
Your solution for a single-page checkout on any website.
http://moolah-ecommerce.com

fatica
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by fatica » Fri Aug 15, 2008 5:08 pm

I recently got this error as well. When creating a new article with only a space it fails with

If I put "asdf" in the article text, it saves no problem. Very repeatable.

This is with Version 1.5.5, using no WYSIWYG editor.

This used to work. In fact, it worked for other articles in this site. I wonder if it's related to a plugin I've installed.

ircmaxell
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by ircmaxell » Fri Aug 15, 2008 5:32 pm

fatica wrote:This used to work. In fact, it worked for other articles in this site. I wonder if it's related to a plugin I've installed.
Not since stable... The store WILL fail, because it's expecting content...

fatica
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by fatica » Fri Aug 15, 2008 5:47 pm

O.k. I think we could have a better error message in this case. I still think blank articles should be allowed because I usually create a ton of articles, then point menus at them, then ask the client to add their content. Is there anything particularly wrong or erroneous about having a blank page?

mcsmom
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Post by mcsmom » Sun Aug 17, 2008 2:49 pm

I believe that if you turn off wysiwyg and save a &nbsp; you will get what you want.
So we must fix our vision not merely on the negative expulsion of war, but upon the positive affirmation of peace. MLK 1964.
http://officialjoomlabook.com Get it at http://www.joomla.org/joomla-press-official-books.html Buy a book, support Joomla!.

jfrank
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by jfrank » Sat Sep 06, 2008 6:27 pm

I have just encountered a similar error. At first I thought it was article, length, but it turns out to be something with SQL keywords. If I have an article with the word "select" in it followed by the word "from" then it fails. For instance, if the article text is "I select an apple from the bowl" it gives me a 500 error.

Any clue how to fix this? I'm guessing it's a PHP/MySQL setting somewhere, or Joomla not properly escaping content before it goes into the database.

Edit: Nevermind, my problem turned out to be mod_security for apache. It was catching the post requests before they even got to Joomla and denying them.

AmyStephen
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by AmyStephen » Sat Sep 06, 2008 7:30 pm

http://img78.imageshack.us/img78/7893/appleox8.jpg

I can select an apple - or even run a query that would actually return results - if, somehow, data became query (which it does not.)

I'm guessing you might get the same error message with any content?

500's are very generic error messages that point to some type of Web server problem with an application. Frequently, a 500 points to installations with mod_rewrite issues. You need to look at your Apache (or Web server) logs - or talk to your Web host if you don't have access.

Good luck - system admin stuff can be frustrating. You'll hear people say "Get a good host" a lot - and these types of errors are exactly why. Hope it works out quickly for you.

Amy :)

brainbeez
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by brainbeez » Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:04 am

hi,

I have gone through this topic twice and did all whatever has been written to do. but still i recieve the error 500 and "DB function reports no error".

This problem occurs when i try to enter an article which i have devided in 10 parts(pagebreaks),as soon as i try to add the next page or even a small data this error occurs.

This error doesn't occur when i add the same data from PHPMYADMIN and that added data is even shown on the site frontend and backend with no problem but when i try to save that with joomla button ""save"" or "apply" it gives the error.

i have also attached the article which i want to add through article manager:-
article
hope you people would try adding this

efforts i have made are as follows -
1-i have changed the field types of intro text and full text to LONGTEXT
2-changed the post_max_size to 20 M from 8M

what else i have to do to get running?

I have found no solution by now, hope you guyz will help me out of it.

Thanks in advance,
abhishek.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

mcsmom
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Post by mcsmom » Tue Sep 23, 2008 9:46 am

You have a lot of Microsoft formatting code in there. I bet if you clean that up the problem will be solved.

However I had no problem with taking your text as is, pasting it into the html view of Tinymce, saving and displaying.

It isn't that long of an article so you shouldn't need to change anything in the db.
So we must fix our vision not merely on the negative expulsion of war, but upon the positive affirmation of peace. MLK 1964.
http://officialjoomlabook.com Get it at http://www.joomla.org/joomla-press-official-books.html Buy a book, support Joomla!.

bumberger
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by bumberger » Tue Sep 23, 2008 6:07 pm

jfrank wrote:I have just encountered a similar error. At first I thought it was article, length, but it turns out to be something with SQL keywords. If I have an article with the word "select" in it followed by the word "from" then it fails. For instance, if the article text is "I select an apple from the bowl" it gives me a 500 error.

Any clue how to fix this? I'm guessing it's a PHP/MySQL setting somewhere, or Joomla not properly escaping content before it goes into the database.

Edit: Nevermind, my problem turned out to be mod_security for apache. It was catching the post requests before they even got to Joomla and denying them.
I get the same thing ... has anyone found the solution to this one yet. This thing seems really silly ... how could simple text content be generating an error of any kind?! To prove my point I have several accounts across several servers and some of them generated an error and some did not. When I replaced the word "Select" with the word "Choose" I found I was able to submit the content just fine ... go figure this one out ... lol!

Confused

ircmaxell
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by ircmaxell » Tue Sep 23, 2008 6:17 pm

Hence, why I think mod_security is a useless peace of trash...

bumberger
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by bumberger » Tue Sep 23, 2008 6:35 pm

ircmaxell wrote:Hence, why I think mod_security is a useless peace of trash...
I agree ... I have emailed my webhost with this issue ... lets see what I get back ... lol! I'll let you all know what happens.

WendyLady
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by WendyLady » Wed Sep 24, 2008 5:03 pm

I started running across this problem today, while trying to upload an article that was a large table.

When I finally gave up & reformatted the article to not be in a table anymore, the problem went away. I think this does have to do with the size of the article. In my case, it may have been all the formatting tags from the table structure.

bumberger
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by bumberger » Wed Sep 24, 2008 5:27 pm

WendyLady wrote:I started running across this problem today, while trying to upload an article that was a large table.

When I finally gave up & reformatted the article to not be in a table anymore, the problem went away. I think this does have to do with the size of the article. In my case, it may have been all the formatting tags from the table structure.
In my situation, the words "Select" and "From" were actually causing the problem, here is a conversation between me and my webhost:

>>> Greetings,
>>>
>>> This may sound crazy but I get an Internal Server Error from this ...
>>>
>>> I was trying to post a Joomla article where I pasted some text into
>>> the Editor field. At first I thought it was article, length, or
>>> perhaps it was something with SQL keywords. If I have an article with
>>> the word "select" in it followed by the word "from" then it fails. For
>>> instance, if the article text is ... "I select an apple from the bowl"
>>> ... it gives me an Internal Server Error (500). I thought it might be
>>> a PHP/MySQL setting somewhere, or Joomla not properly escaping content
>>> before it goes into the database.
>>>
>>> However, when I pasted the same content into another Joomla
>>> installation on another server it worked fine, so I thought it had
>>> something to do with a conflicting Joomla Extension.
>>>
>>> To eliminate that, I created a new Joomla TEST site with a fresh,
>>> clean Joomla install on my original account on the same server ... I got the
>>> same error again.
>>>
>>> So, I did some research and found that the problem may be a
>>> “Mod_Security” issue with Apache. It is apparently catching the posts
>>> requests before they even got to Joomla and denying them, but why are
>>> they only catching the combo words of “Select” and “From”? Are these
>>> words located in a security file somewhere? Any ideas?
>>>
>>> Confused ...

>> Sorry, I just read your email and if it's a caching issue with
>> mod_security, then you might be correct. What I can tell you is that
>> "SELECT" and "FROM" are MySQL keywords so it might be some sort of issue
>> with the SQL query Joomla creates.
>>
>> I have turned-off MOD_SECURITY. Give it a try and Let me know what you
>> find and also let me know what is the error message you receive.
>>
>> Kind regards

> Hey, that was it. It is working fine now ... I don't receive any errors at all.
>
> Thanks,

So, in a nutshell, MOD SECURITY turned out to be the culprit here, and turning it off solved the issue.

Thanks everyone for the input!!

Mr. Umby

brainbeez
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by brainbeez » Thu Sep 25, 2008 12:14 pm

Hi,

i realy dont have any clue yet....
i tried the same text(i have attached in earlier post) on another website hosting and still getting that same error!! :'(
but when i try adding that on my local machine that is easily saved.!!!!
i have installed joomla 1.5.4 and xampp on my machine.......

would like to listen from joomla people how can i get out of it....

please help me out...hope to listen from u people

AmyStephen
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by AmyStephen » Sun Sep 28, 2008 1:17 am

brainbeez wrote:Hi,

i realy dont have any clue yet....
i tried the same text(i have attached in earlier post) on another website hosting and still getting that same error!! :'(
but when i try adding that on my local machine that is easily saved.!!!!
i have installed joomla 1.5.4 and xampp on my machine.......

would like to listen from joomla people how can i get out of it....

please help me out...hope to listen from u people
Start by upgrading to Joomla! 1.5.7. Thanks.

Return to “Joomla! 1.5 Bug Reporting”