I've been through all kinds of hurdles trying to get this issue resolved and I'm left thinking that it must be some kind of bug.
I have a long article that I originally created in Joomla 1.5.0 and has been in my database since as I have upgraded to 1.5.4. Since originally publishing the article, I haven't modified it and it has displayed fine, until a few weeks ago when I wanted to make changes. I now find that I cannot save my changes to it -- it gives me a 500 Error. If I delete the content of the article and just save a single word like "test" or even 1/3 of the original article, it saves fine. But the entire original article now cannot be saved. I have to split it into thirds when I add the new links into it. I have also created new content items (in my installation and in other, wholly separate Joomla installs) with this exact content and it breaks them all. This occurs on PC and Mac, Firefox 2 and 3, IE and Safari. It makes no difference if I use TinyMCE or no editor at all.
The article details so far:
92,000 characters, 2400 lines - text with simple div/class markup - no HREFs, no IMGs (yet)
125kb (in Notepad)
Joomla intro and 7 pagebreaks
text formatted correctly through HTML Tidy
Special characters: Euro currency symbol (34 times), emdash symbol (40 times)
Joomla debugging error report:
I really need this article to be in one piece instead of broken into 3 separate items. But I cannot yet find a way to get it done.500 - An error has occurred!
DB function reports no errors
# Function Location
1 JAdministrator->dispatch() /home/mysite/public_html/administrator/index.php:67
2 JComponentHelper->renderComponent() /home/mysite/public_html/administrator/includes/application.php:130
3 require_once() /home/mysite/public_html/libraries/joomla/application/component/helper.php:162
4 ContentController->saveContent() /home/mysite/public_html/administrator/components/com_content/admin.content.php:51
5 JError->raiseError() /home/mysite/public_html/administrator/components/com_content/controller.php:689
6 JError->raise() /home/mysite/public_html/libraries/joomla/error/error.php:173
7 JException->__construct() /home/mysite/public_html/libraries/joomla/error/error.php:138
Is this a bug of some kind?
Thanks for your thoughts.
Joomla! Version: Joomla! 1.5.4 Production/Stable [ Naiki ] 6-July-2008 22:00 GMT
configuration.php: Not Writable (Mode: 444 ) | RG_EMULATION: N/A
Architecture/Platform: Linux 2.6.18-53.1.14.el5 ( i686) | Web Server: Apache/2.2.8 (Unix) mod_ssl/2.2.8 OpenSSL/0.9.8b mod_auth_passthrough/2.1 mod_bwlimited/1.4 FrontPage/126.96.36.19935 mod_jk/1.2.25 ( inthedistance.net ) | PHP Version: 5.2.5
PHP Requirements: register_globals: Disabled | magic_quotes_gpc: Enabled | safe_mode: Disabled | MySQL Support: Yes | XML Support: Yes | zlib Support: Yes
mbstring Support (1.5): Yes | iconv Support (1.5): Yes | save.session_path: Not Writable[color] | Max.Execution Time: 30 seconds | File Uploads: Enabled
MySQL Version: 4.1.22-standard ( Localhost via UNIX socket )
SEF: Disabled (without ReWrite) | FTP Layer: Disabled | htaccess: Implemented
PHP/suExec: User and Web Server accounts are not the same. (PHP/suExec probably not installed)
PHP Environment: API: cgi | MySQLi: No | Max. Memory: 32M | Max. Upload Size: 2M | Max. Post Size: 8M | Max. Input Time: 60 | Zend Version: 2.2.0
Disabled Functions: system, exec, shell_exec, passthru, escapeshellcmd, popen, pcntl_exec
MySQL Client: 4.1.22 ( latin1 )