Bug? Large article creates Error 500 - cannot save

This forum is for reporting bugs in Joomla!. Please don't report problems with extensions in here.
swlabhot
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Re: Bug? Large article creates Error 500 - cannot save

Post by swlabhot » Fri Oct 31, 2008 1:05 am

Has nobody ascertain the cause of this issue yet? I'm still having this problem despite having tried the above suggestions. This is really hampering what I'm trying to achieve with my site and I'm at a lost. Does anyone know how to fix this?

AHLJOOMLA
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by AHLJOOMLA » Fri Jan 16, 2009 3:43 pm

I spent some time looking for a solution and noted a post about having the words "Select" or "From" in your article you were trying to post. I did not have "From" but had the word "Selecting" 3 or 4 times. I changed "Selecting" to "Choosing" and the article was suddenly able to publish in full length.

Before doing anything technical, try to search the article for these words and replace them with alternatives. I am not proficient in PHP and mysql so I don't know why this occurs, I only know what I did to resolve it.

movemaine
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by movemaine » Fri Jan 16, 2009 4:53 pm

for me,

this issue had something to do with the title & alias. Either that , or it was a huge coincidence that it kept throwing me the error everytime I tried one title & alias, but when I changed it to "test" is would save fine. I then went back and changed the title & alias to something different. My original title & alias were "Is there a fee?" and "is-there-a-fee"

for whatever reason, that continually threw the error.

al_foto2
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by al_foto2 » Fri Jan 23, 2009 11:58 am

Had the same problem and easily solved by contacting host and disabling mod_security, thanks for the tips. ;)

explore
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by explore » Sun Feb 01, 2009 8:39 am

I would like to know what happen here, if there was a fix or not my host says it joomla
I have a 10 page breakpage and cant add any more I get the DB function reports no errors
pretty sad you cant even add or edit your aricle because of this crapy error now i'm staling my site and asking question and getting no replies. I guess there's no fix because host says joomla and joomla says host
Now what........................................

Ok this is the message i got from my host

Actually, mod_security is installed server wide so it is not possible to disable it just for your account. I've checked the logs and your site has not triggered it at all, so it is not mod_security causing the issue.

So now what??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

mmarch
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by mmarch » Wed Feb 18, 2009 1:18 pm

I has tha same problem, but now i solved it. Solution was in php.ini configuration.

First of all a little bit of this story - i has more than 60 sites on foreign server cPanel server. Due slow traffic i made decision move to another server in my country. Before moving everything was fine. After moving it's happen with my customer sites.

I readied this topic lots of time.

in posts ircmaxell gave me direction to check server side. First off all, i take a problematic content and saved it in Foreign server site. Everything work just fine. After that i tried this operation with another site, which host on another cPanel server, work perfect. After that i opened in joomla administration >>>help>>>System Info, and get know that Loaded Configuration File php.ini loaded from site root. After that i get php.ini and check tha difference between my server php.ini and this working.

Difference was just in:

[MSSQL]
; Connect timeout
;mssql.connect_timeout = 5

; Query timeout
;mssql.timeout = 60

; Valid range 0 - 2147483647. Default = 4096.
;mssql.textlimit = 4096

; Valid range 0 - 2147483647. Default = 4096.
;mssql.textsize = 4096

; Limits the number of records in each batch. 0 = all records in one batch.
;mssql.batchsize = 0

; Specify how datetime and datetim4 columns are returned
; On => Returns data converted to SQL server settings
; Off => Returns values as YYYY-MM-DD hh:mm:ss
;mssql.datetimeconvert = On

; Use NT authentication when connecting to the server
mssql.secure_connection = Off

; Specify max number of processes. Default = 25
;mssql.max_procs = 25

How you can see - all this params are inactive, in my server php.ini this params was active. I just replaced my php.ini with attached to post php.ini and now everything work fine.

You can check yourself - from where your php.ini is loaded, and if it's loaded from hosting root, you can adjust all neccessary changes yourself, if php.ini loaded from /usr/local/lib/php.ini you must contact your hosting provider to solve it.

Sorry for my English.

I attached my php.ini working configuration file to post - you can check yourself.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

tadekchavez
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by tadekchavez » Thu Feb 26, 2009 6:05 am

Hi, I was having the same error:
500 error.
db functions reports no errors

I don't know if this will work for everybody here but I hope.
I was pasting the content to my TinyMCE Editor from and HTML page, when I checked the HTML code there, I saw it had a lot, really, A LOT! of "<font></font>" tags on it, I don't know if that was enough to oversize the article but I guess it was. I solved this pasting the content into a textonly editor (gedit, kwrite, notepad), and then copying it from there to my Joomla editor.

I'm guessing must of all with this problem have server problems, but someone may be making my mistake.
Bye
Thanks to all the people that helps on this forum.
"Give me a place to stand on, and I will move the Earth." Archimedes.
www.tadekchavez.com

explore
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by explore » Thu Feb 26, 2009 7:21 am

Hi i did the same thing but my problem was with the tables. i had to take them out i
'm still working on a article with lots of table and getting the error.
JOOMLA should look this over. it can become very tiresome for the simple reason you can have the article you want because it will not alow you to. Also you have to try to clean your codes before pasting anything its a real drag :'( :'( thumbs down for sure

February 25 2009
Well it seem now nothing works anymore I'm getting this error all the time
I have to say Joomla support is crap. I will thanks a few of the folks that did help me with the problem Thank you
But for the rest its crap this error has been reported a long time and still nothing.
I don't think there even looking into it. If you cant support your product don't promote it or change your support people. especially if there answers are its your sever.
pist off at you for the simple reason all the work that was done and now i'm screwed.

gjshumel
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by gjshumel » Wed Mar 04, 2009 11:21 am

Hello,
I am not so much coder yet. I know joomla in a wizard way and know a little bit php or code editing.

I am having the same error probably (it is showing down to end of the post). I can't save large article. It is causing 500 internal server error. But before that I did save large article about 130 line. And it saved. Further I can't edit and save the article. After that I can't save any large article in joomla ! But I can save small article.

One developer suggest me to edit ---->

joomla\administrator\components\com_content\admin.content.html.php

to find--->

"// parameters : areaname, content, width, height, cols, rows
echo $editor->display( 'text', $row->text , '100%', '550', '75', '20' ) ;"

and edit the "cols" and "rows"

But it did not work for me. :(

Plz someone can help me plz. This is messing up all my creation. I did browse many websites, but don't get proper solutions >:( . THANKS

MY ERROR IS :
The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.

Please contact the server administrator, webmaster@yourdomain.com and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.

More information about this error may be available in the server error log.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Apache/2.0.63 (Unix) mod_ssl/2.0.63 OpenSSL/0.9.8b mod_auth_passthrough/2.1 mod_bwlimited/1.4 FrontPage/5.0.2.2635 Server at http://www.yourdomain.com Port 80
Thanks
GJ Shumel
Graphic & Web page Designer

jbbaab45
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by jbbaab45 » Thu Mar 26, 2009 9:08 pm

the best thing that worked for me although, i don't think this actually fixes the problem with the server.

I had an excel sheet with over 600 rows of content, so i copied and pasted it into the article and got a 500 error. Here's what i did to get it to work.

-i went into excel
-selected the area that i wanted to copy.
-went to "edit" > "clear" > "formats"
-Then pressed Ctrl + c (copy)
-then i went into the article editor, did a "copy from external source", and pasted the excel info.
-Pressed save or apply.

I was getting some script error after that occasionally when i tried to save it, but i just canceled the script and pressed save again, and it worked. Prior to doing the clear formats thing in excel, the article editor was only letting me paste up around 250 rows.

Hope this helps someone.

edugauche
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by edugauche » Thu Apr 02, 2009 10:55 pm

I have fixed this issue by disabling suhosin in php.ini , which was not allowing large post to be saved.

gjshumel
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by gjshumel » Fri Apr 03, 2009 4:29 am

Mr. edugauche,

Can you please describe a little bit more ?
Thanks
GJ Shumel

edugauche
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by edugauche » Fri Apr 03, 2009 5:55 pm

It's very easy gjshumel.. you can ask to your hosting provider to disable the function suhosin in php.ini. When this function is enable, is not possible to save large posts..

gjshumel
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by gjshumel » Fri Apr 03, 2009 7:21 pm

Ok I understand. But I want to handle php.ini file myself. Is there any possible way to edit php.ini file without the help of the hosting provider ? Coz I am facing many limitations with this file.
Thanks
GJ Shumel

edugauche
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by edugauche » Fri Apr 03, 2009 7:45 pm

I'm sorry buddy.. I can't help you.. I know somethings about php.ini functions, but I don't know how to change.. I have a dedicated server with managed support.. Everytime I need to change something, I ask to my provider.. You can check in google some tutorials about how to handle php.ini file..

marziyeh84
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by marziyeh84 » Thu Apr 09, 2009 5:20 am

my issue resolved too by disable this function thanks

kiwiguy
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by kiwiguy » Fri Jun 05, 2009 1:12 pm

Hi All,

Well I have kind of a fix.
Nothing worked for me so I played around and came up with this.

I'm self taught at all this stuff so bear with me...

1. Log on to your phpMyadmin.

2. Go to: jos_content

3. Use the browse function (not sure if it's different with different providers)

4. Optional: change show from current number (30) to a number greater than the number of articles you have (200).

5. "Ctrl F" to find your article.

6. Click on the edit button (mine looks like a pencil)

7. Find the HTML code and change directly. (I simply copied and pasted from Joomla).

8. Save.

Again, please note that I am self taught and if someone would like to rewrite or build off this, be my guest.

Also I noticed that the HTML was all in the "introtext" and nothing was in the "fulltext". Is this correct or is Joomla writing to the wrong section???

dkaraman
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by dkaraman » Fri Jun 12, 2009 12:19 am

@ kiwiguy:
I believe you found a good workaround.
I received the 500 message several times, each time I was trying to publish or edit a large article. One thing I can absolutely rule out is the code, which was very clean. I haven't had much time to dig in deeper, but what Kiwiguy suggested worked for me too. In cases when there were several large articles to be either put up or edited, I simply replaced the entire database (imported my local working copy into the remote db). This is guaranteed to work.
Next time I'll try what mmarch proposes (unfortunately his php.ini cannot be downloaded).
Good luck to all 500ers.

mcsmom
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Post by mcsmom » Fri Jun 12, 2009 6:08 am

@kiwiguy
What version of Joomla are you running?
So we must fix our vision not merely on the negative expulsion of war, but upon the positive affirmation of peace. MLK 1964.
http://officialjoomlabook.com Get it at http://www.joomla.org/joomla-press-official-books.html Buy a book, support Joomla!.

volschin
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by volschin » Sat Jun 13, 2009 5:29 am

I have the same problem with the 500 error on a large article with about 500k. I'm using 1.5.0.11

I used the phpmyadmin workaround also to paste my text in the field and it works fine. I cannot change it by Joomla but I have phpmyadmin for doing this.

Good to have a CMS. :(

I hope the developers team is no longer ignoring this issue, because phpmyadmin shows, it is possible to save this larger texts without any problem and without changing the environment.

A software should be written in a way that causes no problems also in more restricted environments.

volschin
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by volschin » Sat Jun 13, 2009 6:41 am

Hi all,
I found perhaps a solution for most of you. As remarked earlier, it seemed to be a problem with suhosin hardened php environment. You can check this in your phpinfo.

I found the following interesting page:
http://forum.codecall.net/blogs/jordan/ ... ength.html

You need to have a least access to have your own .htaccess file. I added the following at the beginning. This should work with up to 5MB. Enough for me.

php_value suhosin.post.max_value_length 5000000
php_value suhosin.request.max_value_length 5000000

Because this seem to be a problem on more machines it could be helpful to have such a configuration in Joomla or at least commented out in the included htaccess file.

kiwiguy
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by kiwiguy » Sat Jun 13, 2009 10:10 am

mcsmom wrote:@kiwiguy
What version of Joomla are you running?
Joomla! 1.5.10

kiwiguy
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by kiwiguy » Sat Jun 13, 2009 10:12 am

volschin wrote:Hi all,
I found perhaps a solution for most of you. As remarked earlier, it seemed to be a problem with suhosin hardened php environment. You can check this in your phpinfo.

I found the following interesting page:
http://forum.codecall.net/blogs/jordan/ ... ength.html

You need to have a least access to have your own .htaccess file. I added the following at the beginning. This should work with up to 5MB. Enough for me.

php_value suhosin.post.max_value_length 5000000
php_value suhosin.request.max_value_length 5000000

Because this seem to be a problem on more machines it could be helpful to have such a configuration in Joomla or at least commented out in the included htaccess file.

Sweet, will try next time I need to edit...

mcsmom
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Post by mcsmom » Sun Jun 14, 2009 12:27 am

@volschin

Would you think about putting that in Tips and Tricks in the wiki?

Thanks.
So we must fix our vision not merely on the negative expulsion of war, but upon the positive affirmation of peace. MLK 1964.
http://officialjoomlabook.com Get it at http://www.joomla.org/joomla-press-official-books.html Buy a book, support Joomla!.

EhabIT
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by EhabIT » Sat Jul 25, 2009 7:33 am

this is silly i almost tried every single option u guys said and nothing worked for me joomla please help this is really ridiculous

dkaraman
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by dkaraman » Sat Jul 25, 2009 8:09 am

@ EhabIT:
You can always export/import your local data base. In case you are not familiar with the process, here's what you could do:

1) Export the local data base using phpMyAdmin. If it is large, it would be a good idea to export it as a ZIP file.
2) Access your remote data base (using phpMyAdmin again). Select and then drop all the tables in it.
3) Import the ZIP file you created in step 1.

The downside is that your site will become unavailable when you empty the remote data base. But it probably won't remain unavailable for very long, depending on the size of the file to be uploaded.

Good luck.

Dario4
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by Dario4 » Sun Aug 16, 2009 9:04 pm

And I still need help with it

It can't save this text
Support

EncounterNotes support is part of our services and one of the most valuable services we offer. All of our support staff has technical as well as Medical Software, Practice and Medical management experience, Electronic Medical Records, Document Management, etc. They have all been carefully selected from successful medical practice environments. Accordingly, our support staff can handle your challenges efficiently as they have in the past for others.

CLICK HERE TO START THE DOWNLOAD

Support is available to all our customers during the business hours

From 8:30 AM to 5:00 PM EST

An Account Manager will be assigned to you Medical Office for all your support calls

You will be delighted to know that almost 100% of all incoming calls are answered by an account manager who will be able to assist you with your support needs (not an automated service). Your practice will have an account manager assigned, and that is the person that most of the time will handle your support calls.

To allow us to connect to your computer, you need to save the following download on your desktop computer. From there, we will service any issue you may have with your Software or any Network problem.

To request support, please call the number assigned to you, then download the program below.

CLICK HERE TO START THE DOWNLOAD

This file download should take 10 SECONDS using DSL high speed
What the hell?!!!

robYardo
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by robYardo » Thu Sep 17, 2009 10:38 pm

Is there anymore info on this item? I'm receiving the following 500 error when saving articles with tables in them.

My apache log throws the following error:

[Thu Sep 17 16:05:26 2009] [error] [client XXX.XX.XXX.XX] PHP Fatal error: Maximum execution time of 30 seconds exceeded in /data/www/tracks/libraries/joomla/filter/filterinput.php on line 218, referer: http://tracks-test/index.php?view=artic ... &Itemid=29

Any help is appreciated. My users are unable to update their web pages.

RussW
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Post by RussW » Sun Sep 27, 2009 1:00 pm

robYardo

have you actually read the message you are being presented with?
[Thu Sep 17 16:05:26 2009] [error] [client XXX.XX.XXX.XX] PHP Fatal error: Maximum execution time of 30 seconds exceeded in /data/www/tracks/libraries/joomla/filter/filterinput.php on line 218, referer: http://tracks-test/index.php?view=artic ... &Itemid=29
Highlighted in RED This is the error, the PHP script "filterinput.php" is taking longer than 30 seconds to run through the PHP interpreter, ask you host to increase this limit or research how to increse this though a local php.ini or .htaccess file on your owm hosting account. Your host should be able to assist in completing this task.

NOTE: Please, also do not bump posts, it is against forum rules ( http://forum.joomla.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=65 )
Joomla! on the fabulous Sunshine Coast...
hotmango, web & print http://www.hotmango.me/
The Styleguyz https://www.thestyleguyz.com/

binglis
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by binglis » Thu Oct 22, 2009 12:07 am

I encountered the smae problem.

I fixed it by adding a line to the .htaccess file:

# Should mod_security inspect POST payloads
SecFilterScanPOST Off

That fixed its little red wagon... that leavedsthe security thingy still working, but it no longer searches the Post string..

Return to “Joomla! 1.5 Bug Reporting”