SEO and weblinks

This forum is for reporting bugs in Joomla!. Please don't report problems with extensions in here.
webm3442
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

SEO and weblinks

Post by webm3442 » Mon Jul 21, 2008 2:27 pm

Problem Description:
SEO and weblinks category
Weblinks category list in first menu shows up ok. When clicking on a category there is an error. Category shows under different menu.

Actions Taken To Resolve:
Checked if menu module is mod_mainmenu: Check OK
Unpublished top menu that had a link to menu item links: no changes
Unpublished menu Jeugd that category linked to: no changes
Checked with template provider: no answer
Checked with core template rhuk_milkyway: no changes

Diagnostic Information
Joomla! Version: Joomla! 1.5.4 DutchJoomla! Production/Stable [ Naiki ] 6-July-2008 22:00 GMT
configuration.php: Not Writable (Mode: 755 ) | RG_EMULATION: N/A
Architecture/Platform: Linux 2.6.19.2 ( i686) | Web Server: Apache ( http://www.golfclubwelschap.nl ) | PHP Version: 4.4.7-pl0-gentoo
PHP Requirements: register_globals: Disabled | magic_quotes_gpc: Enabled | safe_mode: Disabled | MySQL Support: Yes | XML Support: Yes | zlib Support: Yes
mbstring Support (1.5): Yes | iconv Support (1.5): Yes | save.session_path: Writable | Max.Execution Time: 30 seconds | File Uploads: Enabled
MySQL Version: 4.1.21 ( Localhost via UNIX socket )

Extended Information:
SEF: Enabled (with ReWrite) | FTP Layer: Enabled | htaccess: Implemented
PHP/suExec: User and Web Server accounts are not the same. (PHP/suExec probably not installed)
PHP Environment: API: apache2handler | MySQLi: No | Max. Memory: 64646464646464646464646464646464646464646464646464646464646464646464646464646464646464646464646464646464646464646464646464646464M | Max. Upload Size: 32M | Max. Post Size: 8M | Max. Input Time: 60 | Zend Version: 1.3.0
Disabled Functions:
MySQL Client: 4.1.21 ( latin1 )
Ja_purity1.jpg
unpublished-top-menu.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

mcsmom
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Re: SEO and weblinks

Post by mcsmom » Thu Jul 24, 2008 3:44 pm

I'm not sure what you mean by "shows under a different menu." Do you mean the active menu is incorrect?

I'm wondering if this is because you have an article and a weblink linke with the same alias. What would happens if you change one of those?
So we must fix our vision not merely on the negative expulsion of war, but upon the positive affirmation of peace. MLK 1964.
http://officialjoomlabook.com Get it at http://www.joomla.org/joomla-press-official-books.html Buy a book, support Joomla!.

webm3442
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by webm3442 » Thu Jul 24, 2008 9:40 pm

Indeed, the active menu is incorrect. By the way: it's not the same alias. The article alias is "jeugd" and the weblink alias is "ngfjeugd".
When I unpublish the menu link to the weblink category ngfjeugd, and then go to "links", active menu is "golfclub". When I publish it, active menu goes to active menu "Jeugd"

But even in the test I did with the clean install of Joomla 1.5.4. and core template (Rhuk_milkyway) you can see that when selecting weblinks, the url changes.

mcsmom
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Post by mcsmom » Fri Aug 22, 2008 2:08 am

Did this issue get resolved?
So we must fix our vision not merely on the negative expulsion of war, but upon the positive affirmation of peace. MLK 1964.
http://officialjoomlabook.com Get it at http://www.joomla.org/joomla-press-official-books.html Buy a book, support Joomla!.

kenmcd
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by kenmcd » Fri Aug 22, 2008 4:03 am

██ LibreTraining

AmyStephen
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by AmyStephen » Fri Aug 22, 2008 6:11 am

Thanks, Ken, that was *very* helpful. I closed 12150 as a duplicate of 11878 and left a message in that thread.

Astrid -

I don't know if you have given up hope, or not, but I thank you for your patience. This problem is caused by "user generated duplicate content" and Joomla! not handling that very well.

"User Generated Duplicate Content" occurs when someone building a Web site creates more than one Menu Item that creates a URL - with both leading to the same content. Joomla! has a long history of not handling User Generated Duplicate Content very well. It just gets very complex.

A better approach is to create to create the URLs only one time.

On this web page - you create a URL for each Web link category - and each Web link: http://www.golfclubwelschap.nl/links .

If you want to create additional menu items, you can use the URL that is already available for each of your categories.

So, in your Jeugd example, you could use this URL http://www.golfclubwelschap.nl/girlzgol ... e/83-jeugd and the External URL menu type to create a second menu item to point to that page.

If you design your Web sites to avoid creating multiple URLs for the same content, you can avoid these problem areas with Joomla! and you will avoid any SEO penalty for duplicate content. You can also fix your problem today - instead of waiting for the developers to fix it in the code.

One of the developers - Hannes - has been working on URLs for non-content components. He will likely be looking at web links after he returns from his vacation. We are keeping your bug report open. Any fixes for this problem will be posted there.

I am sorry for not understanding what the problem was earlier. I did not get an email response on the tracker item notifying me that you had responded and I forgot to check up on you. It's been a month now - and again - I appreciate your patience.

Ken - thanks for connecting the dots on this one. I really appreciate how you watch over these URL issues - and have for years.

Amy

o_goose
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by o_goose » Tue Sep 22, 2009 12:02 pm

Hi Amy.
I'm having problems with a menu item, type 'Category' (on the main menu) that's pointing to two categories. I have, on a different menu, a menu item, type 'Menu link' pointing to the menu item mentioned before; disabled this second menu and that didn't solve the problem (of the links with the wrong category, on the front end), so I'm sure it's not 'duplicate content' what's causing this error.
I'm using joomla 1.5.14, SEF urls and apache mod_rewrite; is there a fix or something that can help me solve this issue?
Many thanks

Return to “Joomla! 1.5 Bug Reporting”