--can't save or apply changes in articles --

This forum is for reporting bugs in Joomla!. Please don't report problems with extensions in here.
mcolm83
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Re: --can't save or apply changes in articles --

Post by mcolm83 » Mon Oct 05, 2009 1:15 pm

Hi Guys,

I know this is quite old - but have spent the last 5 hours on this topic and cannot find a solution for the life of me.

Please help!

ivar
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by ivar » Mon Oct 05, 2009 1:37 pm

I had the same problem until I discovered that a new cache was install on the server. (xcache)
If I changed a parameter in Global Configuration, the button would not change, but the changes was done in configuration.php.

drbobintexas
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by drbobintexas » Mon Oct 19, 2009 1:52 am

I'm using 1.5.11 and had the same issue of not being able to save changes to Articles. I found 2 things that enabled me to edit Articles:
1) Clear my cache
2) Temporarily switching browsers from Firefox to Safari
Not very technical, but it worked for me. Hope it helps.
mcolm83 wrote:Hi Guys,

I know this is quite old - but have spent the last 5 hours on this topic and cannot find a solution for the life of me.

Please help!

juggyfreak
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by juggyfreak » Sun Jan 31, 2010 2:01 am

I was having the same problem and just found a solution for my particular problem after 6 hours of stress and debugging.

Here's what happened :
Recent upgraded joomla 1.0 to 1.5 because one.com upgraded PHP 5.2 to 5.3 :(
Upgrade went not without problems but eventualy my website survived.

Now, when i opened a content article (static or news) i could not save or close ... none of the buttons did something.
Strange thing is that most of the articles i could save just fine but some articles just wouldnt save or close.

In opera browser i could see in the error log : Unhandled exception: [Object RangeException]
Internet Explorer gave some error : [object required]

I figured out it had nothing to do with permission files or FTP settings or file/database corruption.

So i decided to edit the html of the content article directly in the mysql database ( table : [_content] )
Eventualy i found that it was not the length of the html that was giving troubles but the code itself.
The content was created in joomla 1.0 with TinyMCE and it seemed that the version used in joomla 1.0 created code that the new TinyMCE cannot handle.
I think this "faulty" html code messed up the content-editing page (both front&backend)
It seems to disable some javascript functions like submitbutton(pressbutton).

Simple solution that worked for me ... use another editor or edit the code directly from the database.
You can quickly check if you have the same problem ... quickly enable the "Editor - XStandard Lite 2.0"-plugin and then make this editor default (website - global configuration)

In my case it was the <p> and </p> tags that caused the problem.

Hope this will help you save some time ...

veonmike
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by veonmike » Wed Feb 03, 2010 7:22 pm

Just to chime in.

Made an automated upgrade using simple scripts from my host. 1.5.10 to 1.5.15
Could not save new articles, or modify articles.
Cleared cache on Firefox 3.5.7 and all worked fine.

jsundberg
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by jsundberg » Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:49 pm

This might help someone who is still dealing with this or runs across this thread in the future...

I had a client who was writing their own articles in MSWord and then pasting the content into the Joomla article editor, along with all the extra junk tags that MSWord uses.

The installed editor is JCE, and the result was not being able to save, apply, or close that article editor. Only way out was to close the browser tab.

I went in and opened a different article, turned off the editor, then opened the offending article and deleted lines and lines of MS tags, saved the changes, and everything works fine now.

tnlandsailor
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by tnlandsailor » Wed Mar 24, 2010 11:19 pm

For what it's worth, I have had this same problem. Now running 1.5.15. Some articles have problems, other don't. I finally narrowed it down to formatting within the article. For some reason, on a specific article, it didn't like linking to another article that wasn't categorized. I tried over and over linking to one article from another and it wouldn't save, just crank forever, however, when I lined to other articles in the same article, it saved no problem. I finally realized that the article I was linking to wasn't categorized and the others were. I categorized the article and it finally saved. Anyone have an opinion on this? I am a total novice at this.

tnlandsailor
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by tnlandsailor » Fri Mar 26, 2010 2:17 pm

Ok, an update. I'm convinced that Joomla simply doesn't like linking to other articles. I tested my "uncategorized article theory" a few more times and it's hit and miss. In the end, if I insert a link to another article, it won't save. Remove the link, it saves. I have tried this repeatedly.

I am working from a brand new, from scratch, install of Joomla 1.5.15. Frankly, with all the problems people seem to be having with this issue, I think this bug is rooted pretty deep. If you don't plan to have a lot of links within articles, it's probably fine, but for me, I need the links and it's driving me insane. I may have to ditch Joomla altogether.

infograf768
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by infograf768 » Fri Mar 26, 2010 2:46 pm

tnlandsailor wrote:Ok, an update. I'm convinced that Joomla simply doesn't like linking to other articles. I tested my "uncategorized article theory" a few more times and it's hit and miss. In the end, if I insert a link to another article, it won't save. Remove the link, it saves. I have tried this repeatedly.

I am working from a brand new, from scratch, install of Joomla 1.5.15. Frankly, with all the problems people seem to be having with this issue, I think this bug is rooted pretty deep. If you don't plan to have a lot of links within articles, it's probably fine, but for me, I need the links and it's driving me insane. I may have to ditch Joomla altogether.
I suggest you try JCE EDitor. It lets link directly to any article through a modal when editing an article.
Jean-Marie Simonet / infograf
---------------------------------
ex-Joomla Translation Coordination Team • ex-Joomla! Production Working Group

TimmayBoyie
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by TimmayBoyie » Mon Apr 26, 2010 3:43 am

Just hit refresh if you don't get the normal editing tools for the article. Not a complete fix but it is manageable.

tnlandsailor
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by tnlandsailor » Mon Apr 26, 2010 1:58 pm

You know, the problem might even be with my host. I do another joomla site for club on a different host and don't have near the problems with it. I'm using the JCE editor for both, so this isn't this issue. I've been round and round on this. The fact is, the editor doesn't like links to other parts of the site - sometimes. It's hit and miss which is the biggest frustration on the whole issue. The problem is, the links to other pages, files, and websites is pretty key to the site. This problem is very limiting of my ability to present the site in the way that I want it.

TimmayBoyie
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by TimmayBoyie » Mon Apr 26, 2010 6:32 pm

I would setup a web server on your computer and get the site going on there. If you don't run into issues then you know it's your host. But I really think you could just install a thrid party editor and disable the defaults in your plugin manager. Maybe something happen in the upload of your files during the ftp and you are running a few bunk scripts.

-cheers

bcappucci
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by bcappucci » Wed Apr 28, 2010 6:51 pm

Hi,

I am working on a website which includes information on all community organizations in the city of Holyoke, MA. All the different organization leaders have a user name and can edit their own page. During some recent training sessions multiple people logged in to edit their own page (their only the author for this one page), they made their desired changes, pressed save, and NOTHING. All the changes they made were not saved and the page displayed as it did before they edited it.

The website has the tinyMCE 2.0 editor and is running Joomla 1.5.4 with legacy mode 1.0.

I'm also having issues with editing articles on the back end. I make changes and they do not show up on the front end! For example, I may use linkr to add a link from within my website and it won't show up on the front end after saving.

I also get the invalid token error occasionally. I wonder if the databases and codes are just a mess.

This is the website I'm working on: http://www.holyokeunites.org

What are your thoughts?

Thanks!

TimmayBoyie
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by TimmayBoyie » Wed Apr 28, 2010 9:28 pm

try clicking in the url and hit enter

bcappucci
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by bcappucci » Thu Apr 29, 2010 7:09 pm

Please elaborate.

TimmayBoyie
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by TimmayBoyie » Thu Apr 29, 2010 11:02 pm

in your web browser, click on the url so you activate the text for the url, then just hit enter or refresh to refresh the screen. It should come right back up after that.

thotbubble
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by thotbubble » Wed Jun 23, 2010 2:44 am

[quote="JTS-post Problem Description"]Artilce changes will not save. I can add text but thats it. Nothing else sticks when I click apply or save.[/quote][quote="JTS-post Log/Error Message"]NONE[/quote][quote="JTS-post Log/Error Message"]NONE[/quote][quote="JTS-post Actions Taken To Resolve"]Set error reporting to MAX - No errors reported.
Tried JCE and JoomlaCK Editor - No change
Checked permissions in Joomla - Nothing I can see out of the ordinary.
Cleared cache in Joomla [/quote]
JTS-post Diagnostic Information wrote:Joomla! Version: Joomla! 1.5.18 Stable [ wojmamni ama wojnaiki ] 27-May-2010 18:00 GMT
configuration.php: Not Writable (Mode: 444 ) | Architecture/Platform: Linux 2.6.18-294.3.1.el5.lve0.6.23PAE ( i686) | Web Server: Apache/2.2.11 (Unix) mod_ssl/2.2.11 OpenSSL/0.9.8e-fips-rhel5 mod_bwlimited/1.4 <br />
<b>Notice</b>: Undefined index: doEXTPROFILESECURE in <b>/home/thotfle6/public_html/jts-post.php</b> on line <b>537</b><br />
| PHP Version: 5.2.9
PHP Requirements: register_globals: Disabled | magic_quotes_gpc: Enabled | safe_mode: Disabled | MySQL Support: Yes | XML Support: Yes | zlib Support: Yes
mbstring Support (1.5 or above): Yes | iconv Support (1.5 or above): Yes | save.session_path: Writable | <br />
<b>Notice</b>: Undefined index: executionError in <b>/home/thotfle6/public_html/jts-post.php</b> on line <b>537</b><br />
Max.Execution Time: 30 seconds | File Uploads: Enabled
MySQL Version: 5.0.90-community ( Localhost via UNIX socket )
JTS-post Extended Information wrote:SEF: Enabled (with ReWrite) | Legacy Mode: Disabled | FTP Layer: Disabled | htaccess: Implemented
PHP/suExec: User and Web Server accounts are not the same. (PHP/suExec probably not installed)
PHP Environment: API: cgi | MySQLi: Yes | <br />
<b>Notice</b>: Undefined index: executionError in <b>/home/thotfle6/public_html/jts-post.php</b> on line <b>538</b><br />
Max. Memory: 32M | Max. Upload Size: 2M | Max. Post Size: 8M | Max. Input Time: 60 | Zend Version: 2.2.0
Disabled Functions: show_source, passthru, exec, popen, proc_open, allow_url_fopen
MySQL Client: 5.0.90 ( latin1 )
Thanks for any help you can give!

Halaster1972
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by Halaster1972 » Thu Aug 05, 2010 3:34 pm

Confirmed.

I downloaded the ck editor from http://www.joomlapublisher.com/joomla-d ... space.html

uncompressed it first (says so - but only contains a compressed file) - installed it via joomla and vupti - all functions back to normal...

(this was after installing joomfish...)

Jokerbla11
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by Jokerbla11 » Thu Aug 26, 2010 10:51 pm

I am having the same problem, none of the above helped.

What I did was uninstall JCE editor by mistake and after that, (I had this blank article issue which I solved) I installed JCE back again and I can't save or apply. After I press any of those a "#" appears at the end of the link: "administrator/index.php?option=com_content&sectionid=-1&task=edit&cid[]=65#".

It works fine when I am using NO editor. But I need JCE (or any other editor, same problem with jck)
joomla, php, editors, everything is up to date, please help

Update: with tinyMCE editor it works fine, but I want JCE running just in case I somehow did something to screw it up and I'll do it again

ShoMeFox
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by ShoMeFox » Tue Sep 28, 2010 1:19 pm

Hello there!

Love Joomla, but am getting very frustrated so here is my story on this "editor" issue. I installed JCE Editor and used for a month. Then it disappeared. I ran through hours of trying to troubleshoot this and never figured it out and could not get it to work, but then I could not even get the tiny mce editor to come up. I finally installed JCK editor, to my dismay as I really liked the JCE Editor and tiny mce over that one.

Well, to make a long story short, now I am unable to save again with this new editor, even though the alert states "item saved successfully" I believe the next issue will be the editor disappearing all together (this is what happened with the JCE, first unable to save, then disappears all together).

I truly hate complaining as I feel Joomla is more than exceptional! I do believe there is a major bug in the system. Can someone please help me without advising to totally "redo" everything?

System Sef on, Apache Mod rewrite on, Joomla - 1.5 latest
Site: http://www.top-gamers.com

Humbly yours. :-\
Lynn

jackJoe
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by jackJoe » Sun Oct 03, 2010 10:52 am

I just had the same problem, and after reading the two pages of this thread, I tried most of the solutions, none worked, until I finally found that it was related to this:

JCE + an article with Word tags that messed everything!

The solution was editing the article by copying and pasting the article contents into the "paste from word" button that JCE provides, and then the save/apply worked!

BTW, this save/apply/close problem only happened within this "faulty" articles, every other articles were edited perfectly without any fix.

What might be happening was somekind of malformed tag that JCE/Joomla couldn't handle, if you go to the html view when editing with JCE (before this "fix"), it shows an empty page...

I'm going to check if JCE has a new version.

ShoMeFox
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by ShoMeFox » Mon Oct 04, 2010 1:27 am

Hey Jack ;)

Thanks for helping me on this. This is what I have found. I use tables a lot for styling and found that a document that I copied from MSWord, is causing some problelms. However, I was able to create a new document, save etc, but then it still would not show up in the browser. Switch browsers to Safari, and wala... it was there. I am thinking my isp is part of the culprit with their cache system as my updates do not show up in IE8. The editor issue marches forward, and I have not tried to re-install the JCE editor. Well, now my edits aren't showing up in safari, mozilla or IE8. LOL... I am determined to figure this out and will be placing a call to my isp in the morning! :pop I am going to recreate all docs without formatting and see if this helps. I will keep you posted!

alexchillon
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by alexchillon » Sat Oct 09, 2010 4:28 am

i have the same problem, my site: http://www.[spam].net

helvissa
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by helvissa » Fri Oct 29, 2010 9:28 am

I was having the same problem. It started yesterday evening after I'd copy-pasted in an Excel table.

I hadn't read the whole thread so installed JCE - still getting the problem.

I've started stripping out the td style and tr style tags and.... it seems to be fixed! hurrah! It will however be very tedious as I've got about 300 tags to remove. :(

Is there an easy way of copy-pasting tables from Excel to stop them chucking in all that code?

sena
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by sena » Wed Jun 22, 2011 1:55 pm

hello everyone--
i'm very new to this and a little confused by some of the technical jargon, so i'm wondering if anyone can break this down for me?
i'm having the same problem everyone seems to be describing... when i edit an article and go to click the big "save" button in the top right corner, nothing happens. the "preview," "upload," "apply," and "close" buttons also are completely unresponsive. some more info: i'm running joomla version 1.0.15 stable (ancient, i know...need to update). and this happens no matter what i try to edit (excluding "global settings," so far). any (step-by-step!) help is greatly appreciated! you can email me directly at [email protected]

Mowee
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by Mowee » Mon Dec 26, 2011 10:48 am

I'm having the same problem (no response at all wen I press save, or apply etc..) and after much investigation I found that it work fine on my work office computer and on my Iphone but at my home computer it dose not work

So I think it could be something got to do with IP Address

Any Suggestion on How to fix that

you Help is Greatly appreciated

Thanks

seasamin
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by seasamin » Tue Jan 03, 2012 12:59 am

If using Firefox Adblock Plus extension then add a exception filter for your domain of the website ;)

cogzidel
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by cogzidel » Tue Jan 03, 2012 1:18 am

Thanks for your valuable information.
php web development company
Signature rules: Literal URLs only - http://forum.joomla.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=65

MarkVW
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by MarkVW » Fri Jan 06, 2012 3:19 am

Mowee wrote:I'm having the same problem (no response at all wen I press save, or apply etc..) and after much investigation I found that it work fine on my work office computer and on my Iphone but at my home computer it dose not work

Thanks
This has happened to me recently as well, I can save articles fine on my computer, but the other super administer of the site cannot. I have tried deleting his profile and creating a new one and he has cleared his cache to no avail.

seasamin
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by seasamin » Fri Jan 06, 2012 3:27 am

MarkVW wrote:
Mowee wrote:I'm having the same problem (no response at all wen I press save, or apply etc..) and after much investigation I found that it work fine on my work office computer and on my Iphone but at my home computer it dose not work

Thanks
This has happened to me recently as well, I can save articles fine on my computer, but the other super administer of the site cannot. I have tried deleting his profile and creating a new one and he has cleared his cache to no avail.
Did you try
If using Firefox Adblock Plus extension then add a exception filter for your domain of the website

Return to “Joomla! 1.5 Bug Reporting”