No auto login redirect to same page anymore?

This forum is for reporting bugs in Joomla!. Please don't report problems with extensions in here.
wfelton
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Re: No auto login redirect to same page anymore?

Post by wfelton » Fri Jul 16, 2010 9:44 pm

I currently have version 1.5.17 and am having a similar login redirect problem. The login module is on every page, and if someone tries to login, they are redirected to the home page. If they LOGOUT on any page they stay on that current page.

I discovered that my plugin for Joomdle was the source of the issue. When I disable those Joomdle plugins, the redirect works. I really want Joomdle to work, but I will go to those forums and see what I can find. If I find a solution I will post it here.

rajeshatbuzz
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by rajeshatbuzz » Thu Aug 12, 2010 8:59 am

Hi,

This is really good but the problem is every time we have to follow the sets of instructions to implement. it would be good idea once it is part of joomla core?
cmsGalaxy Team, Web Developer, Bangalore, India
Website Design - Development - SEO - Joomla
www.cmsGalaxy.com

adriamare
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by adriamare » Tue Dec 07, 2010 11:53 pm

Hi, I also noticed the login redirect problem. This occurred when I set the login redirection to home or when I left it at the default ... select item...(nothing selected). I noticed that on returning to home my frontpage articles that were (note) ... not published .... would show up on the home page. After I removed them from my frontpage menu, then I got the redirect to the home page, without the articles, as I wanted.

However, this is obviously a bug, as the articles were not published and should not have been showing up.

Hope this helps others.

mcsmom
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Post by mcsmom » Thu Dec 09, 2010 3:10 am

If you are logged in with publication privileges you will of course see unpublished items. Users without those privileges will not see them,
So we must fix our vision not merely on the negative expulsion of war, but upon the positive affirmation of peace. MLK 1964.
http://officialjoomlabook.com Get it at http://www.joomla.org/joomla-press-official-books.html Buy a book, support Joomla!.

hafizkoh
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by hafizkoh » Fri Feb 04, 2011 11:52 am

Hi Guys.

I am using J! 1.5.22 Stable. and Virtuemart 1.1.6. I am using virtuemart mod_login.

How do i have the same effect to stay on the same page the user was in previously before login? I have a login on every page and on virtuemart not very feasible to ask the user to go back to the correct product after they login.

I have tried quite a number of stuffs stated in this forum and I do not think i can use yoo login for virtuemart, can I? The account information displayed is quite different.

Appreciate the help.

bretsong
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by bretsong » Fri Jun 17, 2011 3:50 pm

Well, after spending the last hour reading 125 posts that span almost two and a half years, I can't work out if this issue has been fixed or if it just dried up and got redirected itself to somewhere it shouldn't have gone. It seems the baby has been thrown out with the bathwater. This issue which was pointed out by "ewel" back in January 2009 hasn't been resolved from what I can find. During the course of this thread, the issue has been diluted by other side discussions about plugins and security issues etc but the issue at the core remains and appears not to have been solved. The problem where a user logs in using a standard Joomla login menu item, redirects them either to a specified location or if none is specified to the homepage (index.php) whereas if you use the login module, you have the option to be returned to whatever page your logged in from. That is the issue, not plugins, just behaviour that most users would expect, that is not working out of the box from Joomla core. I'm not complaining here as I know this is all developed, supported and populated by people who are helping from the generosity of their spirit and time. I would just respectfully ask if this item has been resolved or if it will be for Joomla 1.5 or is the issue dead and not considered worthwhile anymore with 1.6 out now. Thanks for allowing me a midnight rant and thanks if advance if anyone who is close to the core team might just reply and put this one to bed and mark this thread as solved or dead and I'll move on to find some other way around the issue. Cheers and thanks for a great CMS, Brett

stuartml
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by stuartml » Tue Jul 05, 2011 11:22 pm

I'd also like to hear an update.

mdiscenzo
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by mdiscenzo » Mon Jul 18, 2011 1:29 pm

Has anyone found an update to this?

bretsong
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by bretsong » Mon Jul 18, 2011 1:41 pm

No update from what I've heard. One of the more senior people online suggested that if this was in deed true, then I should log it as an issue with the development team so it could be looked at. Sadly I've been a bit slow to do this, but I'll get onto it, or if you like, you could.
Let me know if you hear anything new and good luck. Cheers, Brett

stuartml
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by stuartml » Mon Jul 18, 2011 5:05 pm

I decided to build everything onto the default user page... I also installed Qlogin Popup which has a redirect built-in and that works very nicely: http://www.netqcreative.com/

mdiscenzo
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by mdiscenzo » Mon Jul 18, 2011 5:34 pm

So does this mean that you have solved the problem that exists where one user may send another user a link to a page that requires authentication, and with your setup, they do NOT get a 404 error?

stuartml
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by stuartml » Mon Jul 18, 2011 5:51 pm

mdiscenzo wrote:So does this mean that you have solved the problem that exists where one user may send another user a link to a page that requires authentication, and with your setup, they do NOT get a 404 error?
In my case when a user does this it says "you must log in first"
bretsong wrote:The problem where a user logs in using a standard Joomla login menu item, redirects them either to a specified location or if none is specified to the homepage (index.php) whereas if you use the login module, you have the option to be returned to whatever page your logged in from. That is the issue, not plugins, just behaviour that most users would expect, that is not working out of the box from Joomla core.
I think the above mentioned is still a big problem and needs some re-working, there should be a way for users to "log into the same page they were viewing", but once logged in be able to view registered content that is now available to them on that same page.

mdiscenzo
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by mdiscenzo » Mon Jul 18, 2011 6:03 pm

Could you possibly post a link to your site so I can see how you are handling this? Or you can message me? Perhaps?

bretsong
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by bretsong » Wed Jul 20, 2011 2:22 pm

I don't know if it helps anyone, and I haven't used this code myself yet, but you can build a login form using RSForm pro and their technical support gave me this suggestion on how to capture the page where the form was accessed and use it to then redirect back to it at the end of the form submission process.
Hello,

If you remove the configured Return URL option, you will be redirected to the current page (the page of the form).

If you wish to return the user to the page that he was on prior to accessing the form, then a small code will be required. Steps:

- add a hidden field. This will be used to store the URL
- in the Default value area add the following code:

//<code>
if(isset($_POST['form']))
return $_POST['form']['name_of_hidden_field'];
else
return $_SERVER['HTTP_REFERER'];
//</code>

- in the return URL area (Edit form tab) simply use the hidden's field placeholder. For example: {name_of_hidden_field:value}

So if you have this plugin or want to try it, that is the information I have at this stage.
Maybe it is enough to help get started to modify the Joomla login form as well.
In my opinion though, it is still just a workaround for an issue that I think deserves to be sorted out by the Joomla development team for the core product. I'm not sure how you go about getting their attention for things like this as they are probably busy with 1.7 but I will look into it when I get a moment.

Let me know how you go.
cheers
Brett

mdiscenzo
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by mdiscenzo » Wed Jul 20, 2011 2:38 pm

While that should work most of the time, certain security settings on browsers (strict mode, for example) will actually block the browser from sending the referrer string. In those cases the $_SERVER['HTTP_REFERER'] will actually be null. Or it may contain something complete different as it can be populated by the end user regardless of where they were really coming from.

However, I would imagine something like that could work 95% of the time.

ALSO, it's important to note that this is a Joomla 1.5.x forum. On 1.6.x, these issues are completely different.

bretsong
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by bretsong » Wed Jul 20, 2011 2:51 pm

I'm assuming this has been fixed in 1.6. Do you know if that is the case?

mdiscenzo
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by mdiscenzo » Wed Jul 20, 2011 3:31 pm

The really short answer is yes.

The Joomla core com_login component in 1.6.x allows you to set a login and logout redirect page, or leave it blank to redirect to the page they were on. However, with the addition of User Groups, ACL and View Access Levels in Joomla 1.6.x, there is a little more difficulty when someone navigates to a page they don't have rights to view (whether they are logged in and don't have rights, or they are not logged in and the content page is locked down to a specific user group.)

As it is now, the user will get a 404 error when they try to access a page they don't have rights to view.

The plus side: They won't even know if the page exists.
The down side: They won't know that they may need to log in to see that page.

This is an on-going problem I'm trying to find answers to with Joomla 1.6.x with no luck thus far.

damnpradeep
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by damnpradeep » Wed Jun 20, 2012 10:21 pm

[SOLVED] I have solved this issue and implemented in the site.
Level of difficulty : Very Easy
Follow the link, I have written a 5 step tutorial on how to do this.(No Code editing required).

http://socialmessage.in/index.php/artic ... -in-joomla

websquirrel
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by websquirrel » Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:38 pm

junsve wrote:Hi.
We do not want any redirect.
We want the user to stay on the page he/she was at when logging in, also after logging in is complete.

How can that be achieved?

/Sven
Exactly. As far as I can see, this function is not implemented in Joomla 2.5 yet. Why? :(

Return to “Joomla! 1.5 Bug Reporting”