Bug in Joomla 1.5.10: missing links in back end

This forum is for reporting bugs in Joomla!. Please don't report problems with extensions in here.
goddy68
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Re: Bug in Joomla 1.5.10: missing links in back end

Post by goddy68 » Sun May 24, 2009 10:07 am

Thanks for that, all updated now and running the latest version, however I still have the missing links.

mcsmom
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Post by mcsmom » Sun May 24, 2009 12:58 pm

Ok, let's go through it step by step.

1. Are you are positive you are a superadmin, having checked in the database?
In the jos_users table gid should be 25.

2. Please upload a screen shot of your administrator when you are logged in as a super admin.
So we must fix our vision not merely on the negative expulsion of war, but upon the positive affirmation of peace. MLK 1964.
http://officialjoomlabook.com Get it at http://www.joomla.org/joomla-press-official-books.html Buy a book, support Joomla!.

goddy68
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by goddy68 » Mon May 25, 2009 5:14 am

Thanks for your assistance. I have checked no.1 option, all good, I did even create other users to make sure that it was one of the two admins that I had that had been some how compromised. I have also uploaded the screen shot and you can see I am logged in as a super admin. Any other ideas ?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

mcsmom
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Post by mcsmom » Mon May 25, 2009 10:10 am

Ok, so I see the full menu at the top. What happens when you try to edit an article.
So we must fix our vision not merely on the negative expulsion of war, but upon the positive affirmation of peace. MLK 1964.
http://officialjoomlabook.com Get it at http://www.joomla.org/joomla-press-official-books.html Buy a book, support Joomla!.

goddy68
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by goddy68 » Mon May 25, 2009 10:28 am

The only way i can edit is to go in through Article Manager etc (the boxes on the front page). I can get the hyper links (if you call them that) to work if I am in Debug mode, it works great but cant stay in that mode. When i change back, they stop working.

mcsmom
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Post by mcsmom » Mon May 25, 2009 12:10 pm

Ok I think I understand. You can use the icons, but there is a problem with the menus. You're not getting drop down menus?

In the backend your are not getting the drop down menus? What happens when you mouseover one of the items on the top menu?

By any chance do you have java script turned off in your browser?

goddy68
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by goddy68 » Mon May 25, 2009 9:01 pm

Sorry probably my fault for not explaining it better. Yes when I mouse over the Site, Menu, Content, Components, Extension, Tools and Help nothing happens - no drop down menu at all. The only way I can get a drop down menu is to change into the debug mode and suddenly a menu appears.

I checked the java script settings and they appear to be on and working. I am using Firefox. I did turn them off to see what happens and when I do turn them off, at the Login Screen for the administration it states "Warning! JavaScript must be enabled for proper operation of the Administrator back-end". Prior to testing this I did not get that warning. I guess this means that the java script is on and working correctly.

I have also tried from three different computers at home and also two from work. I have tried a combination of different browsers including IE7, IE8, Firefox and Google Chrome thinking that it was a setting somehow that had turned off the menu. I have two other sites that are working correctly and can access the adminstration and the mouse over the Site, Menu, Content, Components, Extension, Tools and Help works fine.

I didnt really want to reinstall the entire site so I am happy to keep trying any suggestions. Thanks for the on going advice, I hope I explained myself better this time.

mcsmom
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Post by mcsmom » Wed May 27, 2009 1:03 pm

Is Javascript working on other parts of the site?
Is it possible you are missing some files?

mcsmom
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Post by mcsmom » Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:41 pm

I just saw and confirmed an issue in the tracker that said that if you have an upper case A in Administrator in your url you will get this symptom. Please check that.

jml37
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by jml37 » Sun Jul 12, 2009 8:38 pm

i am trying to install joomla 1.5.12, and i am having the same problems reported here.
any idea or solution ?

attached is the screen shot, just after logged in as admin.
Details of the recieved error can also be seen.

some info about the environment :
win xp sp2
ie 7, scripts enabled, pop-up blocking off.
zonealarm closed.
wampserver 2.0

Source view :
==========

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd">
<html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml" xml:lang="en-gb" lang="en-gb" dir="ltr" id="minwidth" >
<head>
<meta http-equiv="content-type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8" />
<meta name="robots" content="index, follow" />
<meta name="keywords" content="joomla, Joomla" />
<meta name="description" content="Joomla! - the dynamic portal engine and content management system" />
<meta name="generator" content="Joomla! 1.5 - Open Source Content Management" />
<title>test - Administration</title>
<link href="/test/administrator/templates/khepri/favicon.ico" rel="shortcut icon" type="image/x-icon" />
<script type="text/javascript" src="/test/includes/js/joomla.javascript.js"></script>
<script type="text/javascript" src="/test/media/system/js/mootools.js"></script>
<script type="text/javascript">
window.addEvent('domready', function(){ new Accordion($$('.panel h3.jpane-toggler'), $$('.panel div.jpane-slider'), {onActive: function(toggler, i) { toggler.addClass('jpane-toggler-down'); toggler.removeClass('jpane-toggler'); },onBackground: function(toggler, i) { toggler.addClass('jpane-toggler'); toggler.removeClass('jpane-toggler-down'); },duration: 300,opacity: false,alwaysHide: true}); });
</script>

<link rel="stylesheet" href="templates/system/css/system.css" type="text/css" />
<link href="templates/khepri/css/template.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" />

<!--[if IE 7]>
<link href="templates/khepri/css/ie7.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" />
<![endif]-->

<!--[if lte IE 6]>
<link href="templates/khepri/css/ie6.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" />
<![endif]-->

<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="templates/khepri/css/rounded.css" />

<script type="text/javascript" src="templates/khepri/js/menu.js"></script>
<script type="text/javascript" src="templates/khepri/js/index.js"></script>

</head>
<body id="minwidth-body">
<div id="border-top" class="h_green">
<div>
<div>
<span class="version">Version 1.5.12</span>
<span class="title">test</span>
</div>
</div>
</div>
<div id="header-box">
<div id="module-status">
<span class="preview"><a href="http://localhost/test/" target="_blank">Preview</a></span><a href="index.php?option=com_messages"><span class="no-unread-messages">0</span></a><span class="loggedin-users">1</span><span class="logout"><a href="index.php?option=com_login&task=logout">Logout</a></span>
</div>
<div id="module-menu">
<ul id="menu" >
<li class="node"><a>Site</a>
<ul>
<li><a class="icon-16-cpanel" href="index.php">Control Panel</a></li>
<li class="separator"><span></span></li>
<li><a class="icon-16-user" href="index.php?option=com_users&task=view">User Manager</a></li>
<li><a class="icon-16-media" href="index.php?option=com_media">Media Manager</a></li>
<li><a class="icon-16-config" href="index.php?option=com_config">Global Configuration</a></li>
<li><a class="icon-16-logout" href="index.php?option=com_login&task=logout">Logout</a></li>
</ul>
</li>
<li class="node"><a>Menus</a>
<ul>
<li><a class="icon-16-menu" href="index.php?option=com_menus">Menu Manager</a></li>
<li><a class="icon-16-trash" href="index.php?option=com_trash&task=viewMenu">Menu Trash</a></li>
<li><a class="icon-16-menu" href="index.php?option=com_menus&task=view&menutype=mainmenu">Main Menu *</a></li>
</ul>
</li>
<li class="node"><a>Content</a>
<ul>
<li><a class="icon-16-article" href="index.php?option=com_content">Article Manager</a></li>
<li><a class="icon-16-trash" href="index.php?option=com_trash&task=viewContent">Article Trash</a></li>
<li><a class="icon-16-section" href="index.php?option=com_sections&scope=content">Section Manager</a></li>
<li><a class="icon-16-category" href="index.php?option=com_categories&section=com_content">Category Manager</a></li>
<li><a class="icon-16-frontpage" href="index.php?option=com_frontpage">Front Page Manager</a></li>
</ul>
</li>
<li class="node"><a>Components</a>
<ul>
<li class="node"><a class="icon-16-component" href="index.php?option=com_banners">Banner</a><ul id="menu-banner" class="menu-component">
<li><a class="icon-16-edit" href="index.php?option=com_banners">Banners</a></li>
<li><a class="icon-16-categories" href="index.php?option=com_banners&c=client">Clients</a></li>
<li><a class="" href="index.php?option=com_categories&section=com_banner">Categories</a></li>
</ul>
</li>
<li class="node"><a class="icon-16-component" href="index.php?option=com_contact">Contacts</a><ul id="menu-contacts" class="menu-component">
<li><a class="icon-16-edit" href="index.php?option=com_contact">Contacts</a></li>
<li><a class="icon-16-categories" href="index.php?option=com_categories&section=com_contact_details">Categories</a></li>
</ul>
</li>
<li class="node"><a class="icon-16-component" href="index.php?option=com_newsfeeds">News Feeds</a><ul id="menu-news-feeds" class="menu-component">
<li><a class="icon-16-edit" href="index.php?option=com_newsfeeds">Feeds</a></li>
<li><a class="icon-16-categories" href="index.php?option=com_categories&section=com_newsfeeds">Categories</a></li>
</ul>
</li>
<li><a class="icon-16-component" href="index.php?option=com_poll">Polls</a></li>
<li><a class="icon-16-component" href="index.php?option=com_search">Search</a></li>
<li class="node"><a class="icon-16-component" href="index.php?option=com_weblinks">Web Links</a><ul id="menu-web-links" class="menu-component">
<li><a class="icon-16-edit" href="index.php?option=com_weblinks">Links</a></li>
<li><a class="icon-16-categories" href="index.php?option=com_categories&section=com_weblinks">Categories</a></li>
</ul>
</li>
</ul>
</li>
<li class="node"><a>Extensions</a>
<ul>
<li><a class="icon-16-install" href="index.php?option=com_installer">Install/Uninstall</a></li>
<li><a class="icon-16-module" href="index.php?option=com_modules">Module Manager</a></li>
<li><a class="icon-16-plugin" href="index.php?option=com_plugins">Plugin Manager</a></li>
<li><a class="icon-16-themes" href="index.php?option=com_templates">Template Manager</a></li>
<li><a class="icon-16-language" href="index.php?option=com_languages">Language Manager</a></li>
</ul>
</li>
<li class="node"><a>Tools</a>
<ul>
<li><a class="icon-16-messages" href="index.php?option=com_messages">Read Messages</a></li>
<li><a class="icon-16-messages" href="index.php?option=com_messages&task=add">Write Message</a></li>
<li><a class="icon-16-massmail" href="index.php?option=com_massmail">Mass Mail</a></li>
<li><a class="icon-16-checkin" href="index.php?option=com_checkin">Global Check-in</a></li>
<li><a class="icon-16-config" href="index.php?option=com_cache">Clean Cache</a></li>
<li><a class="icon-16-config" href="index.php?option=com_cache&task=purgeadmin">Purge Expired Cache</a></li>
</ul>
</li>
<li class="node"><a>Help</a>
<ul>
<li><a class="icon-16-help" href="index.php?option=com_admin&task=help">Joomla! Help</a></li>
<li><a class="icon-16-info" href="index.php?option=com_admin&task=sysinfo">System Info</a></li>
</ul>
</li>
</ul>
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

jml37
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by jml37 » Wed Jul 15, 2009 5:25 pm

i have replaced wampserver 2.0.h with XAMPP 1.7.1, and all errors disappeared.!?
Managed to setup my local site without any problem.

In case you experience the same problems, you might wish to try this option.
(In a way, this also proves that this was not a joomla bug. So moderators can move it under an appropriate forum.)

Logik-
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by Logik- » Thu Jul 23, 2009 4:23 am

The problem is that Joomla looks for two JavaScript files which are 'missing'

Administrator/includes/js/joomla.javascript.js
Administrator/media/system/js/mootools.js

Because these files are 'missing' the menu will not work.

You can find these files residing in

includes/js/joomla.javascript.js
media/system/js/mootools.js

Copy the file includes/js/joomla.javascript.js to administrator/includes/js/joomla.javascript.js and the file media/system/js/mootools.js to administrator/media/system/js/mootools.js - you will have to create the directories as they don't exist.

Copy the files and the menu will work fine.

NB: The files are not actually 'missing', some Joomla monkey forgot the leading slash when they generated the link for the JS. Copying the files is simpler than changing the code, but do that if you really like. I have no idea where the code is that generates this link.

Also http://getfirebug.com/ took me 2 minutes to figure this out..

jmac1
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by jmac1 » Sat Aug 08, 2009 5:52 pm

I did what Logik said and it now works. I was using 1.5.14, but had the same problems with the menus. Another note, copying joomla.javascript.js was easy, but there was no system/js folder in the media folder for me. I did a search and found the mootools.js file in plugins/editors/jce/libraries/js/mootools.js. I copied the file to the media/system/js/ directory and the menus work fine now.

ermand
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by ermand » Fri Jan 29, 2010 6:09 pm

I am having a problem on the back end links on the right side not showing. Log out / preview / etc

Please check the attached pictures.

I am using joomla 1.5.15 I think they were working fine I have installed a couple of plugins lately don't know what might be causing this.

Any help appreciated,
thanks

airton
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by airton » Fri Jan 29, 2010 6:56 pm

Hi ermand,

Go to Extensions --> Module Manager, click on the Administrator link, locate the User Status module (mod_status) and enable it.

Regards,
Airton Torres
Joomla Bug Squad http://groups.google.com/group/joomlabugsquad
Community website - http://community.joomla.org
Unsolicited support PMs will be deleted and the user added to the foes list.

ermand
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by ermand » Fri Jan 29, 2010 7:07 pm

airton wrote:Hi ermand,

Go to Extensions --> Module Manager, click on the Administrator link, locate the User Status module (mod_status) and enable it.

Regards,
Huh - I was just looking through that. I think I might have deleted mod_status, stupid mistake might have mistaken it for sth else. I can't find mod_status listed in GED though to download. Do you know where I can find it?? Thanks for the quick response!

airton
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by airton » Fri Jan 29, 2010 8:23 pm

Luckily it's not possible to uninstall the mod_status module, so all you have to do is create it again. No need to install anything. :)

Go to Extensions --> Module Manager, hit the Administrator link then the New button. Choose User Status from the list, give the module a name like "User Status" and publish it to the status position.

That's all.

Regards,
Airton Torres

ermand
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by ermand » Fri Jan 29, 2010 9:42 pm

I don't see it when i click new ???

This is what I get. Weird!!!

airton
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by airton » Fri Jan 29, 2010 10:33 pm

You should see something like this in a default Joomla! install:
screenshot.png
Did you delete any sub-folders from the /administrator/modules/ folder? If so, try to re-upload all of them from a full Joomla! 1.5.15 installation package. The folder structure (only the core modules) in /administrator/modules/ should be as follows:
screenshot2.png
Hope it helps,
Airton Torres

airton
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by airton » Fri Jan 29, 2010 10:43 pm

Ok, hold it a while. I think it's possible to uninstall the module after all, so that might be the source of your trouble. There isn't a mod_status package available for download anywhere that I'm aware of, so I'll prepare one for you and attach it here. Just give me a few minutes to prepare it.
Airton Torres

airton
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by airton » Fri Jan 29, 2010 11:02 pm

OK,

I prepared the package but I can't attach it here due to the forum's policies. I'll send it by email to you.

Regards,
Airton Torres

ermand
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by ermand » Fri Jan 29, 2010 11:45 pm

Thank you,

I will install and report back.

ermand
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by ermand » Fri Jan 29, 2010 11:49 pm

I didn't get it yet. Are you going to send it via pm or do you want me to pm you with my email address???

ermand
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by ermand » Sun Jan 31, 2010 2:46 am

Solved!!!

Thank you Airton

the module you sent me worked perfectly.

For all of those who uninstall this module ask me or airton to send you a copy. this module is not listed on the GED

regards,

mustang_lex
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by mustang_lex » Wed Apr 14, 2010 7:03 pm

You are right that its not listed on GED but you can copy the mod_status folder under administrator/modules from a unzipped installation to the same path. It worked for me for a client I have.
Alex
Eclipse Media Group Inc.
www.eclipsemediagroup.ca

vecdom1
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by vecdom1 » Sun Oct 23, 2011 8:09 am

I don't know if people are still having issues ( i just upgraded to 1.5.24) and couldn't see all links in the admin menu)

turns out the issue wasn't joomla but memcache which I had enabled. I went to extensions > module manager > administrator > admin menu and changed caching option to no caching. refreshed page and all the missing links appeared again.

hope this helps someone

Return to “Joomla! 1.5 Bug Reporting”