"Submit" button for article on menu et all not working

This forum is for reporting bugs in Joomla!. Please don't report problems with extensions in here.
Forum rules
Forum Rules
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
aaron12345
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

"Submit" button for article on menu et all not working

Post by aaron12345 » Wed Aug 26, 2009 2:30 am

I used Joomla to make a website for a club at school, finished everything, and just need to add content. It almost done, then this came up which is making me want to pull my hair out.

Description:
"Submit" Button/Menu in admin interface when adding an article under "article layout" to a menu is broken.

Reported on:
Joomla 1.5.14 - Used Godaddy's automatic installer, linux hosting.

Classification:
Medium High/Major I think from the classification chart, but maybe Medium/Normal.

Affected functions:
Adding articles in article layout to menus, anything else related to adding individual articles (including in extensions) to anything in the backend.

Related files:
Not known.

Steps to replicate:

Log in to Admin Backend -> "Menus" drop down -> Main or Top (or any) Menu -> "New" (plus button) -> Internal Link -> Articles -> Article -> Article Layout.

Now the problem: Under Parameters (Basic) I click next to "Select Article" the "Select" button.

Before the "Select" button is pressed the screen looks like this:

After the "Select" button is pressed once the screen looks like this:

After the "Select" button is pressed a second time the screen looks like this:

Once I get to this screen when I try to click on one of the sources nothing happens.

I've tried clearing and purging cache on Joomla and locally on browser, and am not running in legacy mode.

This bug not only affects the menu example above, but effects plugins or any other area on the site that uses that same "Select" button.

The site is:

uscdemocrats.org.previewdns.com (before we switch the domain over from our FB group, then take away the previewdns part)

Analysis:
[BugSquad] Confirmed/Unable to confirm/Rejected
Any other comments

Proposed fix(es):

I found a manual workaround of selecting an external link on the menu, then just typing in the link the select button generates (for the articles, this field is grayed out and must be generated with the article select tool that doesn't work).

While this did work (see "Membership" on the top menu) it is not intuitive for a non-tech person, nor does it work on a plug in I have for events that uses that same button, as well as other areas on the site that use the submit button.

I really need a solution for making Joomla's core select menu which seems to be sprinkled throughout the site and used by external plug ins and modules work.

Topic / Artifact ID:
[USER] Enter the cross reference for topic or artifact id/url when submitted - If someone explains what this means I'll edit and update.

System info:
At first I thought this was a browser or cache issue. So then I tried Google Chrome 2.0.172.39, Firefox 3.5.2, and IE 8.0.6 on my computer (Vista).

I have also tried library computers with IE 6, IE 7, Safari, and FF 2 with no luck (Win XP and Mac OS X) ruling out a local issue pretty much.

Joomla System info:

HP Built on: Linux p3nlhg130.shr.prod.phx3.secureserver.net 2.6.18-92.1.10.el5PAE #1 SMP Tue Aug 5 08:14:05 EDT 2008 i686
Database Version: 5.0.67.d7-ourdelta-log
Database Collation: utf8_general_ci
PHP Version: 5.2.8
Web Server: Apache
Web Server to PHP interface: cgi-fcgi
Joomla! Version: Joomla! 1.5.14 Stable [ Wojmamni Ama Naiki ] 30-July-2009 23:00 GMT
User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.0; en-US) AppleWebKit/530.5 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/2.0.172.39 Safari/530.5

Other info:

I've found the same problem reported in a few various places, but with no resolutions. The same problem is reported here in detail:

http://joomlacode.org/gf/project/joomla ... m_id=16278

I'm at the point of desperation (and with little enough to loose) that if there is a mod or someone with a reliable and long record of posting here that needs to take a peak "under the hood" since this is an admin issue, PM me and I'll set you up with an admin account and FTP access temporarily.

Thanks so much!

agwebresources
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Re: "Submit" button for article on menu et all not working

Post by agwebresources » Tue Sep 15, 2009 5:46 pm

Hi, did you get this problem resolved?
For 3 months i haven't been able to figure it out.

airton
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by airton » Tue Sep 15, 2009 6:05 pm

Hi,

I have seen some Godaddy's permissions/ownership issues reported all over this forum. Maybe that's the source of your problem.

Also, check your local machine's firewall/proxy settings.

Further, it could be related to mod_security blocking actions from your pages. Check with your host if they have mod_security enabled and if it's possible to disable it for your pages or find which security rules are preventing Joomla from working correctly and fix/disable them.

Apart from that, there's nothing wrong with J1.5.14 as far as we could test in a number of different environments.

I wish you luck! :)
Airton Torres
Joomla Bug Squad http://groups.google.com/group/joomlabugsquad
Community website - http://community.joomla.org
Unsolicited support PMs will be deleted and the user added to the foes list.

agwebresources
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by agwebresources » Tue Sep 15, 2009 7:51 pm

Hi,

My host says mod_security is not enabled, i am not using Godaddy by the way.
I think i first noticed the problem upgrading to 1.5.13 and then i thought upgrading to 1.5.14 would fix this problem but it didn't.

Do you have any more suggestions?

airton
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by airton » Tue Sep 15, 2009 8:17 pm

The "Select" button used to select articles to create the menu link opens a JS shadow box listing all your articles, so you can choose one.

I'm taking for granted that you already made sure your browser has JS enabled. So make sure it's not your firewall/anti-virus who's blocking the JS calls.

Another thing you could do is make sure your permissions are correct (755 for folders and 644 for files) and that your web user has ownership over all your files/folders. Also, Make sure that your tmp and log paths are correct and that your session path is writable.

I can't think of anything else that could be causing that issue.
Airton Torres
Joomla Bug Squad http://groups.google.com/group/joomlabugsquad
Community website - http://community.joomla.org
Unsolicited support PMs will be deleted and the user added to the foes list.

GODADDY
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by GODADDY » Wed Sep 16, 2009 12:26 am

agwebresources,

If you look at the pictures the original poster added, you can see that their domain is using the preview dns link. Maybe it's the same for you too?

In most cases I've come across, making the site live rectifies this issue. See these threads I've posted to for more details:
http://forum.joomla.org/viewtopic.php?f=431&t=395920
http://forum.joomla.org/viewtopic.php?f=428&t=401691
Last edited by GODADDY on Thu Sep 17, 2009 1:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Official GoDaddy.com Support Representative
www.godaddy.com/community/community.aspx?tab=support www.GoDaddy.com/Community - Support Info

aaron12345
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by aaron12345 » Wed Sep 16, 2009 2:28 am

Godaddy you hit the nail on the head.

As soon as the site went live, then I changed the address from the previewdns to the regular website address and re-uploaded the config file, voila, it started working again.

That points to:

1. It could be an issue with previewdns.
2. It could have been an issue with my config file's permissions.
3. The stars could have decided to line up and the moon smiled at me.

One thing you may want to note, I had an unrelated domain issue to this and called godaddy when this was happening. The rep. was great and resolved the other problem, and I mentioned this to him on the off chance he might have something up his sleeve (he didn't).

I know your reps aren't nor should they be trained in joomla, but if this is a problem or if there are joomla problems specific to preview dns, it would be pretty cool and could save a lot of headaches if in their support database some type of blanket statement came up saying there's incompatibilities with joomla and previewdns.

Return to “Joomla! 1.5 Bug Reporting”