Search module not working

This forum is for reporting bugs in Joomla!. Please don't report problems with extensions in here.
Ozi
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Search module not working

Post by Ozi » Tue Dec 22, 2009 1:36 am

I can't figure out why the search module is not working for me at all.

The site is here... http://www.alaskanbeer.com/a/about-us/news.html
But if you put in a search term, nothing happens.

I have the module enabled.

Using Joomla Version 1.5.14

Can anybody please help?
Cappymoo Media
http://www.cappymoo.com
Start your journey with us!

Jumpman
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Re: Search module not working

Post by Jumpman » Fri Jan 15, 2010 9:02 am

I see the module now is working fine. How did you figure this out? I have the same problem.

Ozi
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by Ozi » Fri Jan 15, 2010 6:35 pm

I had tables around the search module, once I took them out it started working fine. Who knew....
Cappymoo Media

harryedwards
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by harryedwards » Tue May 10, 2011 5:18 am

I realize this post is old but I'm having the same problem. I used YooTools and everything was fine. One day it just stopped working. I went back to the default thinking YooTools was the culprit but it didn't fix it. I've upgraded to Joomla 1.5.23

PHP: 5.2.17
Db version: 5.0.91
Web server: Apache
Site: www.apologetics.com

I've had this problem for awhile now. I was hoping the subsequent Joomla updates would fix it. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

-Harry

Ozi
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by Ozi » Tue May 10, 2011 5:52 am

Actually, your problem is different then the one I had. My issue was when putting something into the search box and hitting the search button, absolutely nothing would happen. With yours, it at least goes to a blank page.

I have no idea what is causing your problem or how to fix it.... sorry.
Cappymoo Media

harryedwards
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by harryedwards » Tue May 10, 2011 6:15 am

Thanks for the quick response Ozi. Hopefully someone has the solution.

kballou
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by kballou » Tue May 10, 2011 7:31 pm

When you get a blank page, your first thought should be "fatal PHP syntax error". Something happened that prevented PHP from returning a page to you. Turn on error reporting and look for a fatal syntax error. If you're using Apache, look in error_log to see if there is something there.

harryedwards
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by harryedwards » Tue May 10, 2011 7:56 pm

kballou,
Thanks for the tip. Pardon my ignorance, but how and where do I turn on "error reporting"? And how do I look at the Apache error log? I am using Apache.

harryedwards
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by harryedwards » Tue May 10, 2011 7:59 pm

Again, thanks kballou. I think I figured out how to turn on error reporting. Here's the result I got:

Fatal error: Cannot redeclare plgsearchcontentareas() (previously declared in /home/content/a/p/o/apologetics/html/plugins/search/contentjuga.php:25) in /home/content/a/p/o/apologetics/html/plugins/search/content.php on line 31

What do these mean and how do I fix it?

kballou
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by kballou » Wed May 11, 2011 1:41 am

harryedwards wrote:Again, thanks kballou. I think I figured out how to turn on error reporting. Here's the result I got:

Fatal error: Cannot redeclare plgsearchcontentareas() (previously declared in /home/content/a/p/o/apologetics/html/plugins/search/contentjuga.php:25) in /home/content/a/p/o/apologetics/html/plugins/search/content.php on line 31

What do these mean and how do I fix it?
It would seem to me that you have already defined the function plgsearchcontentareas() in the file content.php (at line 31) and are now trying to define the function again in contentjuga.php line 25. Don't do that. :)

Aren't you using a class for your search plugin that extends JPlugin?

harryedwards
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by harryedwards » Wed May 11, 2011 2:11 am

So sorry, but I don't know what any of these mean. What do I do? I don't know that I've "defined the function ..... " and now trying to redefine xyz. I'm sure whatever it is I didn't do that on purpose.

I don't know what a "class" is for a search engine, etc.

Would you care to explain any of this? Solution? Thanks.

kballou
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by kballou » Wed May 11, 2011 2:18 am

Ah, it sounds like you might not be a programmer. I'm afraid it means "the code is broken" and you're going to need a PHP programmer to help you with it. (PHP is the programming language in which Joomla! and Joomla! extensions are written.)

Meanwhile, if you made changes to your Joomla! site (such as installing extensions), you should back out your changes in reverse order until your site works properly again. That is, undo your most recent change; if that doesn't solve the problem, undo the next most recent change, and so on.

One thing is definite: things don't just "stop working" one day. There must be a cause for broken functionality. Something must have changed.

Good luck.

OOmNezar
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by OOmNezar » Wed May 11, 2011 2:36 am

harryedwards wrote:..... previously declared in /home/content/a/p/o/apologetics/html/plugins/search/contentjuga.php:25) in /home/content/a/p/o/apologetics/html/plugins/search/content.php on line 31...
What are you try to do before ?
Where is come from that "contentjuga.php" file ?
What is needed contentjuga.php ?
Are you try copy content.php to contentjuga.php ?
Do you have plugin named contentjuga.php ?
Or you try to just add files to plugin ?
Try to do direct access or try to create new plugin for your site?

All that question is about what are you doing before it's happen. I don't think it's a bug.
:D
coffee & smoke just fine
OOm Nezar

harryedwards
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by harryedwards » Wed May 11, 2011 5:30 pm

kballou,

Thanks for the initial tip. That led me to other things which eventually led to the solution. There's this extension called JUGA which conflicted with the Search module. I simply turned off the extension and everything started working again. Again, thanks. I can't believe I lived with this problem for more than a year. LOL!

-Harry

JonathanJW
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by JonathanJW » Fri Sep 16, 2011 2:29 am

I had the same problem with a module for one of my sites. I am not a programmer, but your thread helped me to figure things out. Thank you.

hoatung
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by hoatung » Wed Dec 14, 2011 4:00 am

My site poseidonsails.com search module stop working too! It had run well at first but I noticed wrong thing since I uploaded joomla in order to create a subdomain. First when you typed a word and press enter it would stand there :(( And now when I only enable the box in menu: "Halong bay places" - top menu for brothers help it will return some missing page. Please help me. The link to test search box here:
http://www.poseidonsails.com/index.php/ ... laces.html
Thank seniors,

whyknott
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by whyknott » Thu Dec 15, 2011 5:08 pm

I'm working with the Search component/module in Joomla 1.7 and when I plug something in the search box and hit enter it just goes back to the main page and doesn't give me any search results?? I use a different template for each menu item at the top could that be my problem? HELP! I think my issue is similar to Ozi's but any advice on what to look into would be helpful.

Thanks! Here is my dev site: dev.runkles.com

Return to “Joomla! 1.5 Bug Reporting”