not rendering

This forum is for reporting bugs in Joomla!. Please don't report problems with extensions in here.
farscape
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

not rendering

Post by farscape » Thu Dec 02, 2010 3:23 am

I don't know if this is a Joomla bug, so I'm not sure where to ask for help. This problem only began recently ...

When an article has an &nbsp; in the HTML, it appears as a <?> icon in the web page and a box shape in View Source. Further, if &nbsp; appears outside of articles, such as in code like

Code: Select all

<span class="article_separator">&nbsp;</span>
it appears to be rendered properly, as a blank.

This is true using IE8, Firefox 3.6.12, Chrome 7.0.517.44 and Safari 5.0.3 in Windows 7. It's true in Joomlshack's Cascada and Community templates, as well as JA Purity. It happens with Joomla 1.5.21 and one that uses 1.5.22.

It does not seem to be related to the editor I use (currently WYSIWYGPro 3) because the sample below is loaded from an RSS feed via the extension Feed2Post.

If this is not the venue to use to find a solution, please let me know which one is. Thanks!

Sample: http://www.northraleighchurch.org/index ... &Itemid=75

RussW
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Re: &nbsp; not rendering

Post by RussW » Thu Dec 02, 2010 5:15 am

Have you recently changed anything?

Has your host recently upgraded anything on the server? Such as MySQL or PHP?

This looks like the site is trying to render UTF8 characters, but the content is stored in a latin character set.
Joomla! on the fabulous Sunshine Coast...
hotmango, web & print http://www.hotmango.me/
The Styleguyz https://www.thestyleguyz.com/

cabc
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by cabc » Fri Feb 25, 2011 5:03 am

Hello all, I am having the same problem. I need to add extra spaces into my articles, but they're showing up at the unicode character <?>. I'm not sure how to get them to just show up as spaces. I have a language pack installed for US English, and my charset is set as UTF-8.

Every time I open an article with extra spaces is turns them into

Code: Select all

&nbsp;
's. Can anyone help?

Thanks!

- D

barrycox
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by barrycox » Thu Mar 14, 2013 3:09 am

same issue here... frustrating... happens on backend and frontend editors EXCEPT backend when superadmin is logged on...

i think it may be related to upgrading to php 5.4.6, but unsure.

barrycox
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by barrycox » Thu Jul 04, 2013 12:26 am

no one else seeing this? it's happening even on joomla 3.1.1 for me... i think related to using php 5.4. definitely a codeset issue...

its something environment related for sure since on a few people are seeing it. but what??? i have all my charsets set to utf-8. on apache default, on my meta tag, in my database...

Return to “Joomla! 1.5 Bug Reporting”