open source in private companies?

Pag usapan ang mga bagay na ukol sa pangkalahatang interes sa web at Joomla!
tarsiux
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

open source in private companies?

Post by tarsiux » Wed Aug 24, 2005 3:43 am

Hello *ampoys,  (*ambo user na pinoy)

Anybody of you working in a private company and using open source in your systems?

I guess most companies use Linux for server OS, but then I think enterprise Linux products

(ex. RHEL) doesn't classify anymore as a one of those (because it's expensive). Does some

company adopted open source software for their usage over commercial ones? I heard about

efforts for introducing opens source in government sector but I'm not sure if there are similar

movements for SME's and corporations. Please share your thoughts. Thanks.

alandd
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Re: open source in private companies?

Post by alandd » Wed Aug 24, 2005 4:37 am

I work at a privately owned, computer equipment maker.  We historically have Microsoft and proprietary software but over the years of my employment we have introduced Free Software and Open Source Software where it made the most sense (and where we could get approval).  The list so far:

CVS
TWiki
OpenOffice.org (a few places but mostly just me)
gcc and other compiler/debugger tools
WinCVS
OpenSSH
Linux servers, of course
Ghostscript
GAIM
Firefox
Thunderbird
VNC
vi
emacs
doxygen
MySQL
FreeDOS

We are looking at SugarCRM and currently developing NetBSD into one of our products.

Funny, now that I think about it, no Mambo at work.  Yet...  ;)

tarsiux
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by tarsiux » Wed Aug 24, 2005 4:49 am

Hello alandd,

It's good to hear that. I'm implementing *ambo + SMF + *ambo components. This will be my first attempt to introduce open source to the management. How are your implementations going so
far? Whenever I try to check some articles on open source implented to private companies,
they always have a common issues about support. Like where to ask  help when there's a problem,
troubleshooting and how do we maintain, etc. I guess it's pretty much mature in most open source aware countries. But right now, I'm just curious how are these things penetrating the private companies here in the Philippines.

maverick25
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by maverick25 » Wed Aug 24, 2005 5:09 am

alandd wrote: We are looking at SugarCRM and currently developing NetBSD into one of our products.

Funny, now that I think about it, no Mambo at work.  Yet...  ;)
SugarCRM can be integrated with Mambo, try it  ;)
Install Mambo and SugarCRM on 2 separate directories (SugarCRM can be under the Mambo root directory), then go here http://www.sugarforge.org/projects/sugar-mambo/ to get the portal component.
http://www.maverick25.com
Signature rules - Literal URL's Only.

alandd
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by alandd » Wed Aug 24, 2005 5:36 am

tarsiux wrote: It's good to hear that. I'm implementing *ambo + SMF + *ambo components. This will be my first attempt to introduce open source to the management. How are your implementations going so
far?
Mostly very well.  I must apply the caveat that most of the software I mention has been implemented either as IT infrastructure or for use in the engineering department.  Some of the "non-geeks" use things like Firefox and Thunderbird but they are not really aware of the infrastructure systems.  They are just now starting to use the wiki (http://twiki.org is the one we use).
tarsiux wrote: Whenever I try to check some articles on open source implented to private companies,
they always have a common issues about support. Like where to ask  help when there's a problem,
troubleshooting and how do we maintain, etc. I guess it's pretty much mature in most open source aware countries. But right now, I'm just curious how are these things penetrating the private companies here in the Philippines.
My number one support source is my local Linux User Group.  Usually take less than 20 minutes to get an answer for any issue.  Go find your LUG and join!  Next I use the forums for the issue I need help on.  In conjunction I do google searches.  Practice tight google searches because almost always the answer is already out there.  Don't forget to find an IRC channel for the project you need help with.  That can be the fastest.

Maybe I'm just good at it or something but I see the "no support" issue as mostly a myth.  I get far better support on the Free Software and Open Source Software than I ever have with proprietary stuff.  If you maintain a presence in the community, helping out once in a while, when you need help, people just jump to the keyboard.

Where I work we have contract support for our Windows servers.  It usually takes them two days to come take care of a problem unless we want to pay them double for a rush service call.  We have our email on a proprietary server program (not Exchange, thankfully).  It's 20% retail price per year for telephone support.  Average hold time for the IT guy to get in: about 45 minutes.

One more little story: One of our products caused an issue with a very widespread operating system ;).  Using one $249 support incident, with numerous emails and phone calls resulted in no resolution.  We sent them one of our products for them to try as the last straw in the two month process.  The final answer was that their OS was indeed broken when using our product in that way.  They even found the exact spot in the code.  But, no, they would not fix it.  Thanks for calling.

Contrast that with an emailed bug fix request to the author of a Free Software testing utility who responded with a patch in 15 minutes.

I would say that Mambo is an excellent choice for a first time exposure to Free Software.  It is an excellent product with a great community.  You'll get answers when you need them.

tarsiux
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by tarsiux » Wed Aug 24, 2005 9:37 am

I can tell you've been using open source for some time with all the products you've listed.
During earlier times, how did you came up with that decision to use open source, specially with Linux?
I guess it's really a big risk but then it depends on the purpose and the number of target users. But it's a
different case presently, support is actually a matter of googling, I agree to that.

audienceone
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by audienceone » Thu Aug 25, 2005 8:35 pm

I know a company who's now getting heavily into OpenSource Software. Well, not a company but a Government Agency. An agency here in Region X - with its MIS staff is boldly introducing Open Source Software.

It's great since their proposals is approved and highly supported by the Regional Director. Bye bye propriety software. The Director and other regions has seen how much better Open Source Software is and it's people are, that there is a big possibility the entire Agency's system will be pushed to use Free and Open Source Software and Technology.

I just hope it goes well with the MIS team currently in place. Propriety companies have a way to reach the head hunchos. Let's just hope I did not hope and open my mouth too soon...
"Speak your truth quietly and clearly; and listen to others; even the dull and ignorant, for they too have their story
If you compare yourself with others you may become vain or bitter, for always there will be greater and lesser person than yourself."

r00t
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by r00t » Sun Sep 04, 2005 7:23 am

tarsiux wrote: Hello *ampoys,  (*ambo user na pinoy)

Anybody of you working in a private company and using open source in your systems?

I guess most companies use Linux for server OS, but then I think enterprise Linux products

(ex. RHEL) doesn't classify anymore as a one of those (because it's expensive). Does some

company adopted open source software for their usage over commercial ones? I heard about

efforts for introducing opens source in government sector but I'm not sure if there are similar

movements for SME's and corporations. Please share your thoughts. Thanks.
We do use AMP solutions in both intranet and extranet projects runnning Ubunto and Slackware with LIDS, btw...we're a Semiconductor company...

cheerz.
r00t

tarsiux
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by tarsiux » Fri Sep 16, 2005 12:36 am

Care to tell me what are those solutions? Are you doing them yourselves or you use OSS?
And what do you use LIDS for? BTW, I work in a manufacturing company here in Laguna.

r00t
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by r00t » Fri Sep 16, 2005 5:16 am

tarsiux wrote: Care to tell me what are those solutions? Are you doing them yourselves or you use OSS?
And what do you use LIDS for? BTW, I work in a manufacturing company here in Laguna.
Intranet:
Blogs
CMS
WIKI
DBMS (Oracle on RHEL 3)

Extranet:
Customer Online Database
Online Reports Storage

All running using Linux Platform

LIDS:
1 using LIDS configured in kernel for System Added Security and (Slackware)
URL: http://www.lids.org/

Opps, btw...80% of our browser are now running Firefox.... 8)

alandd
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by alandd » Fri Sep 16, 2005 6:22 am

tarsiux wrote: I can tell you've been using open source for some time with all the products you've listed.
During earlier times, how did you came up with that decision to use open source, specially with Linux?
I guess it's really a big risk but then it depends on the purpose and the number of target users. But it's a
different case presently, support is actually a matter of googling, I agree to that.
When we have a problem, we discuss possible solutions.  It only takes a few minutes to search sourceforge or another Free Software or Open Source Software web site to see if there is any viable solutions there.  If anything looks good, it costs very little in time and nothing else to download it and try it on a test computer.  If it doesn't work or fit, you're only out a bit of what would be search and research time anyway.  It's not that simple for major infrastructure or significant tools.  But at least you can get a real test run without cutting a purchase order or fronting money for a trial period.

I always "shop" FS/OSS first, if I know there is a chance there may be something there that is worthwhile.

As far as Linux goes, it's easy to get started.  Most businesses have some old computer sitting around that is not used much, if at all.  Take a few minutes and put Linux on it, put it on the network and you have a "no cost" server or workstation to play with and try things on.  If something works, move it to a "real" server.

For example, we have an old 200MHz computer running IPCop (http://www.ipcop.org) for our corporate firewall.  If it dies, we have two more of exactly the same model sitting in the server room.  30 minutes to set the next one up and we are back in business.  Why spend money on something else?

Our wiki and CVS server, on newer hardware, has been up for more than a year without a blip or problem.  Why would I want to by licenses and connection licenses, etc. when I can put such a server together in a few hours and not worry about it?  Ever.

Alan

r00t
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by r00t » Fri Sep 16, 2005 6:31 am

alandd wrote:
tarsiux wrote: I can tell you've been using open source for some time with all the products you've listed.
When we have a problem, we discuss possible solutions.  It only takes a few minutes to search sourceforge or another Free Software or Open Source Software web site to see if there is any viable solutions there.  If anything looks good, it costs very little in time and nothing else to download it and try it on a test computer.  If it doesn't work or fit, you're only out a bit of what would be search and research time anyway.  It's not that simple for major infrastructure or significant tools.  But at least you can get a real test run without cutting a purchase order or fronting money for a trial period.

I always "shop" FS/OSS first, if I know there is a chance there may be something there that is worthwhile.

As far as Linux goes, it's easy to get started.  Most businesses have some old computer sitting around that is not used much, if at all.  Take a few minutes and put Linux on it, put it on the network and you have a "no cost" server or workstation to play with and try things on.  If something works, move it to a "real" server.

For example, we have an old 200MHz computer running IPCop (http://www.ipcop.org) for our corporate firewall.  If it dies, we have two more of exactly the same model sitting in the server room.  30 minutes to set the next one up and we are back in business.  Why spend money on something else?

Our wiki and CVS server, on newer hardware, has been up for more than a year without a blip or problem.  Why would I want to by licenses and connection licenses, etc. when I can put such a server together in a few hours and not worry about it?  Ever.

Alan
Indeed, sometimes simple problems needs simple solutions...besides Opensource Solution doesn't cost arms and legs unlike m$. ch33rz

macoykolokoy
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by macoykolokoy » Mon Nov 14, 2005 2:52 pm

We are an open source solution provider here in the Philippines. Checkout of these packages we used for our solutions and services.

Chillispot
FreeRADIUS
Asterisk
Nagios
OpenWRT
Apache-httpd
Squid
Mysql/MaxDB
Ruby
PHP/Perl/Python
Emic
OpenOffice
Mono
Version: 3.12
GU dx s-:- a-- C++ U- P+ L++ !E W++ N !o K? w++
O-- M? V? PS+ PE+ Y+ PGP++ t 5-- X+ R tv- b+ DI- D+
G++ e++ h! r y+ z+

razer1114
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by razer1114 » Fri Mar 31, 2006 9:58 am

We have recently moved to open source just this year (because of the recent push for original software by the dreaded empire of Software Alliance) and it has been a great experience for us in the IT/Systems Dept. We have replaced and are continually replacing our system and migrating into Open Source one-by-one (that's a good tip, you don't have to migrate everything to open source in one day). We started with the non-critical applications then continually moved over to replacing our production servers with Linux systems. Right now, we are working on migrating our doddering old NT4 PDC server into a Samba + OpenLDAP Domain controller. We are almost done with it and hopefully next week, push this ship out to deeper waters. Try these opesource solutions and what they replace:

Adobe Photoshop = Gimp  --> there's a steep learning curve to climb but once you get the hang of it, your editing like before!

Microsoft Office = Open Office / Star Office --> they both have thier own ups and downs but we chose Open Office in the end cause of how Open Office 2 is so much cooler than star office. We can't say it's problem free with interoperability with the rest of the world, but most cases .doc's are readable and in the correct format.

Oh my.. I don't know how long this post will take but i'm running out of time. Ask if you have any more questions. oh and about support? Help is everywhere like what alandd has been saying, and if you decide to pay - you are sure it can get fixed (most of the time). God knows how many incidents like what alandd just told told about closed software support, especially MS exchange (i spit at it *phhtuey)

I've just started Linux last May and i'm already able to troubleshoot  a little of my own problems (sometimes) and get solutions for most of my problems from the community, and the more I learn, the more I find out how little I know...  :-[ You just need to have a dedicated team that will support your OpenSource software.

(sorry about this post... I feel it's become a bit disjointed. I lack sleep is because)

eadwired
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by eadwired » Fri Mar 31, 2006 11:18 am

for my opinion.. open source system is not the total solution.. licensed software is still usable.. for example: In Workstations, you may not barter the User-friendliness of MS Office or Windows to be exact for an open office from its cost to the effeciency and effectivity of the work done by your employee, not minding that most office application softwares do run on Windows platform. But on the Server side, well it would still be arguable but Open source system is the best alternative or maybe best fit for this function.
--  Believe that Life is GOLD.. Follow the GOLDEN Rule and say the GOLDEN Word.. "THANKS!!"

razer1114
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by razer1114 » Sat Apr 01, 2006 2:37 am

There is some truth to that. OpenSource software may not be at par with closecode productivity software like Adobe, Microsoft Office and Macromedia but in other areas, I would highly recommend OpenSource software just because of the customizability, simpleness and efficiency of stable programs like the email and web browser of Mozilla.
I guess it depends on how the person would use the software. For example, our sales force team only need an office application suite to make simple word documents and worksheets with minimum formulas and they need only to view with Adobe and make simple color changes and file types. OpenOffice and Gimp would do that for no cost at all rather than spend hundreds of thousands of pesos just to do that (cause we have 500 sales agents).

Operating Systems though are another area entirely as it affects a whole lot of things in one change. I wouldn't go that far yet  :P

chette
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by chette » Wed Apr 05, 2006 4:16 am

Kami rin, we use a variety of open source software/web scripts. Unfortunately, most of often that not, its the commercial ones which gets our jobs done. One of the weaknesses we noticed with open source (well, at least the ones we tried) is that they were developed with the "developer" in mind, not the "ordinary user." A non-techie assistant spent quite some time just trying to figure out a notepad replacement that we chose for her.

deathwingpnx
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by deathwingpnx » Wed Apr 05, 2006 5:41 pm

I am Glenn Miranda Apolinario.

I am working at a private company that caters to cargo, remittance and bank transactions.  Our servers are HP Proliant
DL 380 Models and all powered by Linux Mandrake (although i prefer UBUNTU).  We are operating our servers here in the
Philippines and abroad with such countries as KSA, Abu Dhabi, Singapore, Taiwan, Hongkong etc.

All of our servers use Mandrake Linux with the following apps:

1. SMB File Sharing
2. Pro FTP
3. Open SSH
4. Apache
5. PHP
6. PGsql
7. DHCP
8. Squid
9. Webmin
10. Shorewall Firewall

among many others.  Opensouce is the way to go if you are willing to learn and if you love your work.  I do not believe in using
opensource for personal money making schemes because opensource is for every body and it must always be free of charge.
Last edited by deathwingpnx on Fri Apr 07, 2006 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Glenn Miranda Apolinario
Winning is not important!  Giving it your best is what Counts!
http://www.glennapolinario.com

Return to “Pinoy General Discussion & Archives”