Does Nav4all gps navigation work in the Philippines?

Pag usapan ang mga bagay na ukol sa pangkalahatang interes sa web at Joomla!
Jamba
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Does Nav4all gps navigation work in the Philippines?

Post by Jamba » Wed May 03, 2006 4:23 pm

I just found a really interesting gps navigation software for mobile phones, called Nav4All, which is offered for FREE!

The only thing is, I don't know whether it works in the Philippines. Does anyone have any info?

Astig
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Re: Does Nav4all gps navigation work in the Philippines?

Post by Astig » Thu May 25, 2006 1:36 pm

Perhaps it doesn't work. If GPS navigation software is a part of the 3G mobile phone services then it is still not possible.

The truth is the Philippines can't even maximize and offer all 2G mobile services. That is why web developers here with less budget don't spend time playing around with WAP developments. WAP is just a 2G service but costs too much compared to other countries that can give this service for free.

Why can't the Philippines have these services for low cost? Because operating with 3G services requires expensive equipments and newly installed lines for 3G services' use. We are not yet ready for this.

Even if a provider can setup those required equipments for 3G services, I am sure that will be too expensive for consumers.
Last edited by Astig on Thu May 25, 2006 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KILLER_AJ
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by KILLER_AJ » Fri May 26, 2006 3:34 am

Astig wrote: Perhaps it doesn't work. If GPS navigation software is a part of the 3G mobile phone services then it is still not possible.

The truth is the Philippines can't even maximize and offer all 2G mobile services. That is why web developers here with less budget don't spend time playing around with WAP developments. WAP is just a 2G service but costs too much compared to other countries that can give this service for free.

Why can't the Philippines have these services for low cost? Because operating with 3G services requires expensive equipments and newly installed lines for 3G services' use. We are not yet ready for this.

Even if a provider can setup those required equipments for 3G services, I am sure that will be too expensive for consumers.
sir astig... have u heard bout the the SMART 3G... im not sure if they will support nav4all.. but i saw the banners and flyers about 3G.. hope it can offer all the 3G features

chette
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by chette » Sun May 28, 2006 7:56 am

WAP is cheap. The GSM system, even the versions released in the 1990s, already came with WAP. It is the telco charges (P0.25/kb) which makes it expensive.

The main reason why developers don't do WAP sites anymore is not so much the cost that consumers are faced with, but the fact that most phones nowadays are already equipped with full fledged browsers. Goodbye puny-text-only-wbmp WAP browers.

I'm surprised that 3G was launched earlier than expected here in the Philippines. In one of the press junkets I attended, rollout was approximately 2 years pa. But lucky for us na rin, I guess. I've been playing with a new 3G phone the past few days (a Nokia N80), and boy oh boy, speed is great. Stick it on your laptop, and its like you carry a broadband in your pocket. For 20 pesos per hour, it's not bad at all.

With regards to Nav4All/GPS, all telcos here have their own flagship GPS systems, some of them rebranded. To check if it works, install it, cross your fingers, and run :)

Return to “Pinoy General Discussion & Archives”